Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Tablet Question for Android users - Nexus 7 or Sero 7?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Tablet Question for Android users – Nexus 7 or Sero 7?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

RhondaH

I have an ipad mini and love it. I am thinking of buying my Dad an android (doesn’t like mac stuff) tablet. There are a billion of them but from what I hear the nexus 7 and the sero 7 are pretty good buys. The Sero 7 sells at walmart and is cheaper but also has hdmi and microsd expandability over the nexus. The nexus 7 is more expensive but may be a better value. Any of you guru’s have an opinion to share? I am horrible at this kind of stuff.

http://www.staples.com/Nexus-7-16GB-Tablet-from-Google/product_215186

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-Sero-7-Pro-7-Tablet-Quad-Core-Processor-with-8GB-Memory/24805142

leftovers

If you have the extra money the Nexus 7 is the best bang for your buck currently out there. The support, accessories and community involvement will be much better with a Google product.

Graybeak
    Participant

I have admit, i have never heard of Hisense or Sero before clicking on your link.
    I am guessing this may be the Goldstar brand for the 2000’s.

billbix

Graybeak said:
    I have admit, i have never heard of Hisense or Sero before clicking on your link.
    I am guessing this may be the Goldstar brand for the 2000’s.

That Sero 7 appears to be sold only at Walmart. That doesn’t instill a lot of consumer faith imho. Do you like your Dad?

bucki12

I was about to bash the Sero and Walmart in general but the reviews seem pretty solid.

http://www.androidcentral.com/hisense-sero-7-pro-review

I agree with the others that it would be hard to go wrong with Google though.

FireEngine
    Participant

If you’re looking for a good Android at a budget price, get a Barnes and Noble Nook HD for $129 and Cyanogen 10 on an SD card. Boom, instant Android with access to the Google store, etc.

Or get a HD+ for $149 for the larger 10″ form factor.

susank

billbix said:
    Do you like your Dad?

I would just buy him an ipad.

tobyb

FireEngine said:
    If you’re looking for a good Android at a budget price, get a Barnes and Noble Nook HD for $129 and Cyanogen 10 on an SD card. Boom, instant Android with access to the Google store, etc.

I was thinking of mentioning that also. Since it is a gift and I am not sure how familiar the OP is with Android I don’t know how viable it is. You end up with a pretty nice tablet with a great screen. Can you still run that off of the sd card without having to root it?

Only slight drawback is lack of cameras and gps which many people don’t use.

RhondaH

FireEngine said:

?

susank said:
    I would just buy him an ipad.

Honestly it is just too much $$$.

billbix said:
    That Sero 7 appears to be sold only at Walmart. That doesn’t instill a lot of consumer faith imho. Do you like your Dad?

I didn’t realize it was a Walmart only generic brand.

pez
    Participant

RhondaH said:
    I didn’t realize it was a Walmart only generic brand.

It’s made by Hisense, they’re a Chinese OEM for several companies. While I’m not a fan of Android myself, I’d buy based on features, memory, processor speed and battery capacity. At the price point for these devices, I don’t think you’re going to see much difference in quality from one brand to another, but they should all outlast their useful life..

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Nexus 7. Google created Android and therefore you will get software updates for Android much much more faster than other OEMs.

bucki12

Nexus 7

cbus11

If you can afford it the Nexus is probably the better buy for support and development reasons. For a tablet that gets used a lot I would look into a SquareTrade warranty. My niece dropped hers and SquareTrade covered everything. There are plenty of 30% off coupons out there.

I was going to add that I thought there were some bugs in the new Nexus 7 (2013) but it looks like Google fixed them. That reaffirms to me that Nexus is probably the better choice.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7241/nexus-7-2013-jss15q-ota-update-rolling-out-fixes-gpsgnss-and-multitouch-issues

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE