Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

SWACO - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion SWACO – News & Updates

• This topic has 15 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by News.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Press Release:

New Interim Executive Director Named

Grove City — SWACO Chairman of the Board David J. Bush announced that Rick Dodge, SWACO’s Chief Operations Officer, has been named the agency’s Interim Executive Director effective today (May 29, 2013).

Bush said that Dodge will hold the position while a search can be conducted.

Dodge joined the Solid Waste Authority of Central Ohio on April 1, 1993, and advanced through SWACO’s ranks before being named Chief Operations Officer in September 2007. Prior to his service with SWACO, Dodge worked for the City of Columbus and for two regional chemical companies.

Chairman Bush and other members of the board praised Dodge for his work and his two decades of service to SWACO.

Dodge, 56, is a Certified Manager of Landfill Operations and a resident of Powell. Dodge replaces Ronald J. Mills, who served as SWACO’s Executive Director from 2007 until resigning earlier this week.

roy
    Participant

Has anyone been watching the debacle that is SWACO? Not sure whether to link the dozen other recent stories that chronicle the mess, village idiot emails are the least of what’s happened.

RhondaH

I don’t know about that, but I was getting rid of some old electronics and called around to find an environmentally sound way to dump them and they were incredibly helpful.

They are having a One Stop Drop Recycling and Household Hazardous/ E-waste Event

June 15th at Westgate Park 8am-2pm. Two thumbs up for customer service! :)

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Electronics can also go to Ohio drop-off.

http://ohiodropoff.com/

News
    Participant

SWACO hires Battelle to craft solid waste diversion plan
    Mar 4, 2015, 5:19pm EST
    Carrie Ghose
    Staff reporter – Columbus Business First

The Solid Waste Authority of Central Ohio has hired Battelle for a $57,000 first phase of a study that could add another $500,000 to identify strategies and technology to turn 1 million tons of waste a year into a valuable commodity instead of burying it in the Franklin County landfill.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2015/03/swaco-hires-battelle-to-craft-solid-waste.html

joev
    Participant

Here’s one idea: Curbside pickup of compostables.

SteveKZ087
    Participant

“Recycling in Columbus”-related question. Apologies in advance if this isn’t quite the right thread.

I live in a multifamily complex in the Central Business District. To date, for whatever disappointing reason, the management company has declined to provide recycling services to its residents. I’m still holding on to my recycling, but am unclear as to where I can get rid of it alternatively. Driving my recycling to Dublin and dropping it in the Whole Foods Mixed Stream Recycling bins is not a long-term solution…

Does anyone know if there are any centralized drop-off bins for recycling in Downtown Columbus?

derm
    derm
    Participant

The parking lot on Dennison at the tennis courts at Goodale park have large cardboard and paper collectors. Krpger in the Brewery district does plastic bags. Maybe someone will chime in for glass or plastic.

On a related note I found and used the styrofoam drop off point at Phoenix recycling on S Hamilton rd near Fort Rapids. Free, large shipping container, just throw the styrofoam in it. No food/used containers but had some large pieces I could not bear to put in the garbage. No more garbage for the styrofoam. They take packing peanuts bagged.

I have now found a reliable reuse/recycle for almost everything excepting only small fabric pieces.

SteveKZ087
    Participant

This is helpful. Thanks! For what it’s worth, I have reached out to SWACO for their answer to the same question. I’ll gladly re-post their response here if/when I hear back.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Does anyone know if there are any centralized drop-off bins for recycling in Downtown Columbus?

We haul our office recycling to the Brewery District Kroger recycling bins. They’re in the back, on the south side of the building. Not too inconvenient since we shop there a lot anyway. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

SteveKZ087
    Participant

Also… http://www.swaco.org/RecyclingDropoffLocations.aspx

I saw that, Walker… I’m curious. It says there’s a drop zone at the COAAA at Long & 4th, but if there was one it wasn’t immediately evident to me. Regardless, super helpful to know about the bins at Brewery District Kroger as well.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I saw that, Walker… I’m curious. It says there’s a drop zone at the COAAA at Long & 4th, but if there was one it wasn’t immediately evident to me. Regardless, super helpful to know about the bins at Brewery District Kroger as well.

Yeah, I’m not sure how up-to-date it is if some of them have moved or been removed.

The Brewery District Kroger one I can vouch for at least from this past Sunday. ;)

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I drop my recycling off at the bins in the parking lot of Goodale Park. Pretty sure they’re standard mixed single stream recycling, not just cardboard and paper (hopefully I haven’t been doing it wrong).

The Styrofoam drop-off is good to know. I got a coffee table recently and I felt guilty throwing away all the Styrofoam packaging I didn’t realize anybody took that stuff.

News
    Participant

SWACO lease goes south: Court-appointed receiver to seek sale of water recycler
    Oct 19, 2015, 7:56am
    Carrie Ghose – Staff reporter – Columbus Business First

Another green business venture that the Solid Waste Authority of Central Ohio entered last decade has gone sour for the agency.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2015/10/19/swaco-lease-goes-south-court-appointed-receiver-to.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE