Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Suspicious Behavior repeated around First & N. High past two evenings

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Suspicious Behavior repeated around First & N. High past two evenings

This topic contains 61 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by Ned23 Ned23 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • Author

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Slipperiest slope I’ve ever been on.

derm
    derm
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>derm wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coremodels wrote:</div><br>
    Did I miss the part where there was an actual victim?

Depends. If you require the people in the post to give you their personal medical records or similar then no. (or not yet, maybe they will)

If you think being stalked or terrorized is bad then the thread has about seven or eight victims listed. Some gave their name, some are anonymous. If the person is the same as the one in the linked report then there has been a ton of victims. That is for you to judge. As you are doing.

What’s in this thread, which is all I’m reading, is a description of a mentally ill guy kind of scaring a couple people.

That’s not being victimized. “Something bad almost happened to me…maybe” doesn’t make one a victim.

You really need to read up on the law. Pay special attention to menacing and stalking.

derm
    derm
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jerdo87 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Nancy H wrote:</div><br>
    Get drunk, pay no attention to your surroundings, do stupid stuff, all is well. The same people who have spoon fed you all your life will make it all better again.

I understand that yes, when one has their wits about them it is less likely for bad things like this to occur, but this is the same rhetoric that is used in rape and it’s troubling. There is still one person in the situation that absolutely is the wrongdoer. Just because an individual is intoxicated it doesn’t make the wrongdoers actions any less egregious.

So much this.

+2 Sheesh.

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

Wow, what a long thread. I think it can be summed up as: “There’s some weird people in the world (and they’re more likely to be encountered by pedestrians in the city)”

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Nancy Cores question is dumb. The answer is…. If the police file a menacing charge there is a victim. If the police file assault charge there is a victim. If the police file a harassment charge there is a victim. If the police file theft charges there is a victim. So based on the courts records we have at least 21 victims.

Not in this thread we don’t, which is what I’m responding to. I think this idea that being scared is the same thing as being victimized is tiresome. If someone here was actually assaulted, I wouldn’t respond the same way. The stories in the first post in this thread aren’t that…and those aren’t the stories of “victims”.

ohbr
    Participant

Since the last time I looked at this thread, this appears to be a great discussion on how to improve pedestrian safety in the area from the neighborhood, city, and personal perspective. I look forward to seeing these changes occur in the coming months making the community safer for all….. oh… that’s not what we’re talking about?

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

You really need to read up on the law. Pay special attention to menacing and stalking.

If you think what this individual did in the stories on the first post should be a crime, you should start typing from a bunker immediately.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

Yeah only first posties counts.ignore any related posts.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Relevant information is irrelevant. Stop triggering me.

Miracle
    Participant

While were talking about interesting/suspicious people in the SN(kind of), i am sure plenty of people have encountered the rose “giving” guy. He is typically in the northern part of the SN and the wife and i encounter him often. He has a great platform but his demeanor and way of doing business(constantly making it seem like he is GIVING you a rose and then demand money once you take it) comes off as sketchy and i have felt slightly threatened by him in the past even when you make it evident you have no interest in doing business with him. Anyone else have any info on this guy?

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

While were talking about interesting/suspicious people in the SN(kind of), i am sure plenty of people have encountered the rose “giving” guy. He is typically in the northern part of the SN and the wife and i encounter him often. He has a great platform but his demeanor and way of doing business(constantly making it seem like he is GIVING you a rose and then demand money once you take it) comes off as sketchy and i have felt slightly threatened by him in the past even when you make it evident you have no interest in doing business with him. Anyone else have any info on this guy?

I saw that rose guy go berserk on a poor server in the Odd Fellows/Mikey’s beer garden. It was over pretty quick and he left without really getting physical, but I thought he might punch this poor girl along with his verbal tirade. I’m still glad it didn’t escalate, because I was starting to get the sense that I should do something, but really didn’t want to have to get involved.

On all these other comments, I understand the sensitivity around victim blaming. And it’s definitely not something where the harassment ever becomes your fault or something you caused, no one deserves that. But at I will say that at some point reality should set in and you should actively take precautions to keep yourself safe. Look if I leave a Tiffanys bag on the passenger seat of my car and it gets stolen. It’s not my fault, I’m still the victim of theft and it shouldn’t have happened, but I could have taken steps to avoid it. In the situation of some guy harassing me and rubbing up against me, I’d be f’ing scared out of my mind, but I hope I’d chose to go into the nearest brightest building I could find and not down the dark street to my house. I know hindsights 20/20 and I haven’t been in that situation so I don’t know how I’d react. But I would hope for me personally my reactions would put me on a safer path.

derm
    derm
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>derm wrote:</div>

If you think what this individual did in the stories on the first post should be a crime, you should start typing from a bunker immediately.

You are being silly.

A 12 year old watching Poltergeist gets scared. A man who presses up against a woman at night walking down the street multiple times and tells her he is following her is committing a crime. It might not scare you, but can you imagine how it would feel?

I get your opinion, it would not bother you, so why would it bother anyone else? You are super tough, the women in the report I guess are sissies and complainers, right?

Fact wise, you are wrong, it is a crime. You cannot admit it so now you belittle.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

If nothing else, this example may yet be another feather in the cap for zero set backs in busy pedestrian neighborhoods. That particular intersection on High St. has relatively deep setbacks that give would-be ne’erdowells multiple directions of escape as well as shadows to hide in and scout victims from.

Nancy H
    Participant

Discovered a useful scrap of information regarding reporting street lights that are out/broken. It is easy enough to report them via the city’s 311 phone line or website (645-3111 or 311.columbus.gov) But not always easy to give them the location, especially the ones in allies in the middle of the block. The associated house number is often half way around the block on the other side of the building.

I reported a street light out on Wednesday. When I walked past it yesterday, guys were fixing it. I commented about great service as I had just reported it the day before. One of the guys said the best way to tell them exactly which pole was to give them the pole number. And, he pointed to a metal tag on the pole.

So… this morning, as I walked to work I looked at several poles. Best I can tell, every pole has a tag, even the ones without street lights. It appears that street lights connected to the AEP system have little round ID tags (see top two images below). Lights connect to City of Columbus Electric have rectangular tags (see bottom two images below). The City ones are not always useful as the printing fades with ages.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: