Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Suspicious Behavior repeated around First & N. High past two evenings

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Suspicious Behavior repeated around First & N. High past two evenings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I took this off the SN/Harrison West Next Door site. Thought it was worth sharing/spreading the word.

ORIGINAL MESSAGE BELOW
    Two separate women have reported similar incidents over the previous two nights. In an over-exhuberant commitment to your personal safety, I’m alerting folks to what I know at this time.

Here are the two “facts”/things I know:

Report #1: From the Facebook page of the Short North Block Watch

Sarah Grimm‎ to Short North Block Watch, December 10 at 5:52pm:

“I was followed from the corner in front of UDF by a slender, black male wearing gold wire glasses and a stocking hat with a light blue ball on top, south on high and west onto first. He kept close, grabbing at me but backing off when I yelled. Kept pursuing until the corner of Denison and First where he began running up behind me, again raising my voice he turned around and walked back up first. Keep aware of your surroundings!!”

Report #2: From an informal inquiry to the Dennison Pace Block Watch

“I left work [on N. High] at 8:15 pm, last night, Friday the 11th. About a block from High, on the north side of the street [Note, we’ve clarified this was by the pine trees around 114 W First], an African American male was standing in the shadows, near the bushes. I have seen him here before, without incident, so didn’t think much about it. Then I saw a shadow of a man walking quite close to me, in fact, directly behind me, on the sidewalk. He was completely silent, and then I felt him push up against me. He said, “I am following you.” I had my phone out at the time and slid it into my coat pocket. He walked along side of me, pressed up against me for several more feet [Note, this was the length of several houses]. Finally I cut in front of him (he was on my right) and bolted down Dennison heading north. At this point I texted me husband and told him that I may need help. I looked behind me and the man was gone.

“He had on jeans, white tennis shoes and a black jacket with some sort of logo on it, like a work jacket. He was around 5’10”, African American and maybe 160? [Note: she added later: clean cut but spoke with a thick urban dialect]

ADDITIONAL: A conversation last night with a resident of a nearby home revealed his fiance has also witnessed a guy standing around this area before while she has been walking their dog at night.

I’ve learned vague details of a third woman who also encountered a suspicious guy around the UDF on the evening of Dec 12. He creeped her out enough that when he followed her into the store, she immediately left and was able to seek refuge.safety with a passing group of people who saw her concern and took her into their group. I’ve asked for more info (time, description of the guy, what made her suspicious, etc).

placebohigh
    Participant

This area behind UDF and First Ave heading towards Summit has always been a hotbed of muggings/suspicious activity…I don’t know if it’s just that the UDF attracts all sorts of riffraff or just that First Ave isn’t well lit at night and there’s that partially hidden alleyway that I’ve seen suspicious characters hiding in. I have a friend that was mugged in this same area and there was a string of muggings about 2 years ago in this same area typically with people walking alone at night. The city should make sure this area is better lit and patrol more actively.

jerdo87
    Participant

This is consistently a terrible area in the Short North. Was mugged there a couple years back.

jOHnH
    Participant

Maybe when they bulldoze the old donatos, the driver can “accidentally” take out the UDF as well. Always characters sitting in the alley when I walk by. I’ll start calling the fuzz now.

Nancy H
    Participant

UDF: the business everyone loves to hate! It must be their fault. I live on E First, very close to the UDF. I don’t think the UDF attracts any more low life characters than other businesses in the general area, with perhaps the exception of the Hookah Bar. From my observations it is more a problem with visitors who don’t take precautions for their own safety or are oblivious to their surroundings. Who in their right mind, while walking alone at night, would turn down a dark street AFTER being followed closely by a suspicious person for nearly a block? Yet, both victims continued to walk another two blocks along a darken street while being followed and making physical contact with their assailant.

I am not trying to blame the victims, but neither of those women sound like the brightest bulb in the box.

ohbr
    Participant

Lighting will be the best way to help this in the longer term. I always thought some of the streets connecting High with Summit and 4th were a little too dark for such a heavily traveled area by foot. It may get a little push back from the neighbors, but ultimately a safer passage is better for everyone.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

From my observations it is more a problem with visitors who don’t take precautions for their own safety or are oblivious to their surroundings.

I am not trying to blame the victims, but neither of those women sound like the brightest bulb in the box.

But you are blaming the victims. Pretty shameful of you to do so.

Nancy H
    Participant

Lighting will be the best way to help this in the longer term.

I doubt homeowners would object to additional lighting. The street light placement is good along First Avenue, as well as most of the surrounding streets. But, older neighborhoods have mature trees, and they block a lot of the light from the street lights. Encouraging residents to put their porch and other exterior lights on a timer or photocell most certainly helps.

As Eldridge Cleaver said. “There is no more neutrality in the world. You either have to be part of the solution, or you’re going to be part of the problem.”

welkstar
    welkstar
    Participant

The accounts of these incidents is chilling. The “I am following you” part is especially disturbing.

Good reminder to keep your wits about you. Stay safe out there folks.

Participant

And to the home owners – PLEASE turn your freaking porch lights on. this is an incredibly easy measure that helps make the community safer for all. How would you feel if your mother,sister or other loved one had to walk down these streets at night – wouldn’t you be grateful to those in the community that helped make it safer for them?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Nancy H wrote:</div>
    From my observations it is more a problem with visitors who don’t take precautions for their own safety or are oblivious to their surroundings.

“I don’t mean to sound racist but…”

Nancy H
    Participant

The fact that one was white and one was black had nothing to do with it.

It was stupid to continue walking two blocks down a dark street when she thought someone was following her. If she had time to pull out her cell phone and text her husband, then she most certainly should have pulled it out and called 911 two blocks earlier.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

Very curious if both incidents involved a person wearing glasses? One statement says glasses. there is a vagrant with a violent history that has tormented and assaulted at will it that exact area for years. Matches the first description in action and appearance.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Snarf wrote:</div>

The fact that one was white and one was black had nothing to do with it.

It was stupid to continue walking two blocks down a dark street when she thought someone was following her. If she had time to pull out her cell phone and text her husband, then she most certainly should have pulled it out and called 911 two blocks earlier.

The fact you overindulged my analogy is ironing out the wrinkles.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

While there is a tone of victim blaming, I think Nancy’s point is more along the lines of the best offense is a good defense. Why continue walking down the street with some creepy guy pressing up against you? Isn’t that the point in time you call the police, cross the street away from said person, cut back over to High St., or start screaming at the top of your lungs? Being a victim and being an easy target aren’t mutually exclusive, and while stopping to confront this guy might not be the best idea, some of the other options might have been effective. Similarly, don’t leave your iPad on the passenger seat of your car and be surprised someone robbed you. It’s not always possible to avoid danger, but it is possible to reduce your risk.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: