Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Sushi By Yu?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Sushi By Yu?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Mercurius
    Participant

I just got this in my inbox from 43215, anyone been?

Do Yu See Shushi?

Yu sees sushi; Mitchell Yu sees a place for the fare downtown at 88 East Broad Street. And so, with very little ado, Sushi By Yu made its debut on Monday, March 24.

If Yu’s name sounds familiar, it should. He’s also the name behind the successful Chinese restaurant, Windchimes, out in Dublin.

zp945
    Participant

I just walked by this and did not see a sushi place. This is the Key Bank Building right? From what I can tell it is still Starbucks and Quiznos.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

I think I remember seeing a sign in front of it announcing a new place.

EatDrinkColumbus
    Participant

I was wondering where that was, I got the same email. A bit far to walk from the Huntington Building? Although I do go to Broad Street Bagels & Deli so I suppose it’s not that far… Maybe I’ll try it out tomorrow and report back.

EatDrinkColumbus
    Participant

I got to try this place out on Tuesday.

Sushi by Yu is a little take-out only sushi shop in the KeyBank building (88 E. Broad), in a strange nook next to Quiznos and a flower shop. You need to go through the door that you think will take you to Quiznos. They didn’t have a menu for me to post, as everything is pre-made and ready to go (which is nice for lunch), but I did notice that they had salmon roll, California roll, spicy tuna roll, mixed sushi, and Philadelphia roll. Prices seemed to range from $5.95 to $7.25.

I chose the spicy tuna roll. It was $5.95 for 9 pieces. It was muy spicy! Almost more than I could handle. It was competent, good, and fresh tasting. My co-worker got the California roll, but I didn’t get a chance to get her opinion on it.

A very nice option for quick sushi in downtown. Sometimes Nida’s is just too slow and irritating with their fish switcheroo nonsense. I would have liked to see some interesting Japanese drinks, instead of the standard stuff in their drink cooler.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Nice! Thanks for the review! Will have to try this out soon. :D

hazy stars

It is sort of inside/ behind Quiznos. I’ve been meaning to try it since it opened!

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Just went today. Pretty good. Fresh prepared is always better, but for a healthy, relatively inexpensive lunch option downtown its good. I had the spicy tuna as well.

I would also agree about drinks. Even at giant eagle you can get iced green tea.

EatDrinkColumbus wrote I was wondering where that was, I got the same email. A bit far to walk from the Huntington Building? Although I do go to Broad Street Bagels & Deli so I suppose it’s not that far… Maybe I’ll try it out tomorrow and report back.

its a short walk. 2 downtown blocks. :D

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Tried the California Rolls today. They were yummy. I do like bigger pieces of avocado in mine though, but I am an avocado freak!I also noticed two tables with some chairs that people were sitting at and eating, so maybe they just added those.

Wish they were open a little bit past five.

joev
    Participant

EatDrinkColumbus wrote I was wondering where that was, I got the same email. A bit far to walk from the Huntington Building? Although I do go to Broad Street Bagels & Deli so I suppose it’s not that far… Maybe I’ll try it out tomorrow and report back.

It’s only too far if you’re a quadrapoligic.

enzo
    Participant

It is really good. It is inside the area near Quiznos and the flower place. Too far from the Huntington… :lol: :lol:

I walk to the North Market for lunch from Broad & 4th—not when it is storming or super icy, but gosh, just pop over to 3rd & Broad and you are there friend.

EatDrinkColumbus
    Participant

I’ve already been there. I know where it is now. I posted a review of the place right under my original post. It even has pictures. I understand now that it’s not that far from the Huntington Center. Thank you everyone.

Please to stop saying it is only far for a “quadrapoligic [i]sic[/i].” You I thank.

p.s. As a quadriplegic, I am offended and appalled. Good day!

goldenidea
    Participant

“A very nice option for quick sushi in downtown. Sometimes Nida’s is just too slow and irritating with their fish switcheroo nonsense…”

Hey, I just wanted to comment on the posted observation that Nida pulls a “switcheroo” by using fish from somewhere other than her display case to fill orders. :evil:

I asked her about this and she said that typically only fish for spicy tuna comes from outside of the display case, unless it’s at the start or end of day, or at another time when the display case isn’t fully stocked because of a high demand for a particular type of fish on any given day. :idea:

Typically, a batch of spicy tuna is made at the start of the day, from the same source present in display case. The tuna is cut up, placed in a bowl, mixed with spices for better flavor blending, sealed, and placed in the underbar refrigerator that mainly houses sauces and veggies. So despite it coming from somewhere other than the display case, it’s the approprate stock for making spicy tuna. The premixing is done to improve flavor and to more quickly satisfy customer orders.

Also, the display case is small, it can only hold a limited amount of fish. Like any highly productive sushi bar/carryout, there’s other refrigerated storage being utilized to hold additional stock, but that additional stock is the same quality. The display case is meant to be representative, and, for most orders, to provide the easiest point for the chef to draw from.

It’s challenging provide quick, quality, primarily “made-to-order” sushi in a wide-open, walk-up setting like the North Market, and have a sit-down bar too. I think Nida hits the mark. Typically, at groceries (e.g. Kroger or Giant Eagle), or other walk-up/carry-outs (there aren’t many), customers never get to see any of the stock. :wink:

roy
    Participant

EatDrinkColumbus wrote I’ve already been there. I know where it is now. I posted a review of the place right under my original post. It even has pictures. I understand now that it’s not that far from the Huntington Center. Thank you everyone.

Please to stop saying it is only far for a “quadrapoligic [i]sic[/i].” You I thank.

p.s. As a quadriplegic, I am offended and appalled. Good day!

Tell the truth, you’re a paraplegic. Otherwise how are you holding up those two nasty fingers under your face?

p.s. never take food advice from someone giving you the finger(s).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: