Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Surly Girl Closing This Month

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Surly Girl Closing This Month

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 160 total)
  • Author
    derm
    derm
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>derm wrote:</div>
    4. Things you thought were sure things fall through all the time. The Panera on Grandview ave will not be a CMR restaurant quite possibly because it does not have a basement for the storage they need. They found this out after they kicked out Panera(who wanted to stay) and after CMR signed a lease but did not think to look for steps leading down. Such is life.

Wait a minute, really? That’s a huge bummer. Not sure I’ve heard that before.

I will own up to it being rumor, but with a decent source.

WJT
    Participant

There is some crazy-ass level stalking going on in this here thread. Pretty revolting.

truthbetold
    truthbetold
    Participant

Modeling agents DEFINITELY aren’t creepy.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I seriously doubt you’ve ever interacted with one.

p.s. I’ve met like half the people who post on here regularly in real life, and I think its safe to say they wouldn’t describe me as creepy. You’ve posted in one whole thread here, never met anyone, and I think its safe to say almost everyone finds you creepy…

OneBagTravel
    Participant

After reading the last few pages, I don’t want to hear anyone talking shit about Rus derailing threads. I award you all no points.

gramarye
    Participant

Core isn’t creepy. His dog is, though.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Core isn’t creepy. His dog is, though.

Ha! Bugsy has killed men for less.

gramarye
    Participant

Creepy.

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

You chimed in to blindly insult me, friend. Don’t forget that.

HA! How dare he blindly insult someone on a message board on the internets! What a dick!

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Elizabeth Lessner wrote:</div>
    (My original post removed for length)

Trying to keep the thread about Surly Girl primarily, and I did want to follow up, if you’re of a mind:

You closed Betty’s but plan to reopen it; you closed Surly and do not plan to reopen it, but you also didn’t sell it a la Jury Room. If Surly was still doing well, wouldn’t the better option have been to sell it as well? Especially if it owned its own building? I get that you outgrew it, but there might well have been a younger you out there ready to take over and run with it. (Or a corporate group of old men who thought they could fake it convincingly enough.)

(my original post removed for length)

I agree about the Schadenfreude and I called it out in my first post in this thread. But on the public vs. private divide: In fairness, you occupy that gray zone between public and private. At the very least, anything that touches on the health of your restaurants (and I’m not singling you out here, I’d say the same about any local restaurant operation, whether it’s CFL or Wendy’s) is a matter of public concern, and unfortunately, when it comes to closely held businesses, it’s somewhat inevitable that the personal financial health of the owner(s) will become relevant in some way, sometime, somehow.

Regarding Surly Girl: Sure, we could have sold it but we opted not to. She might open again in some incarnation or another but we aren’t ready to dump the concept entirely. The Surly Girls grew up there, it’s more of a baby to us than business.

There’s a now closed 24/7 Seattle diner I used to frequent when I lived there called Minnie’s. I’ve long envisioned Betty’s to take on a similar business model but timing and location is important.

Regarding other businesses: Any personal business doesn’t bleed into my other businesses (LLCs). The closures of the other locations has allowed me the time and space to focus more on our other locations. The other concepts are happily humming along and we are hard at work on upgrades to all of our locations including a new patio coming soon to Dirty Frank’s Downtown, some interior renovations to the dining room of Dirty Frank’s West (and plans for facade improvement), and patio improvements at Grass Skirt just to name a few.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>truthbetold wrote:</div>

I seriously doubt you’ve ever interacted with one.

p.s. I’ve met like half the people who post on here regularly in real life, and I think its safe to say they wouldn’t describe me as creepy. You’ve posted in one whole thread here, never met anyone, and I think its safe to say almost everyone finds you creepy…

Core is not creepy. The same cannot be said about me.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Core is not creepy. The same cannot be said about me.

Dammit Hugh, between you and Gram vouching for me its only a matter of time before someone calls me the “mouthpiece of the GOP” again. God, I wish I could find that thread.

p.s. Hugh’s avatar=super creepy…Hugh, not at all.

pez
    Participant

Looks like the folks behind Novaks are going into this spot with a place call the Short North Parlor Room.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

If it’s the same people from Novak’s behind Three Sheets in Brewery District, that’d be great.

truthbetold
    truthbetold
    Participant

Looks like the folks behind Novaks are going into this spot with a place call the Short North Parlor Room.

The way Liz complained, or should I say blamed, the gentrification of this area I would have thought an upscale martini bar was going in. Based on Novaks, I doubt this new concept will be pretentious at all.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 160 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: