Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Surly Girl Closing This Month

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Surly Girl Closing This Month

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 160 total)
  • Author

bayrea
    Participant

As a former CFL staffer I can say that this story will be taking an even sadder turn for Ms Lessner. A pending foreclosure suit against her and her companies could be the final nail in the coffin. There are rumors that she is under severe financial stress and that there are a handful of financial related lawsuits against her. Sad to see the places she spent years building crumble so fast.

I just got off the phone with Gordon Ramsey. He is on his way!

truthbetold
    truthbetold
    Participant

Mike88
    Participant

Here’s to hoping The Grass Skirt can stay open (same for Tip Top and Dirty Franks).

Agreed on all of these. Though the only CFL resturaunt I truely frequent is Dirty Franks. I would be utterly devestated if that place closed… Where would I get tatertachos and ripped Crew Dogs…

Graybeak
    Participant

Timeline seems to fit Grass Skirt
    “built out from “vanilla” Box in 2012″
    Opened September 2012.
    When MadLab cleared out, it was pretty much just that. Four walls with a roof.

truthbetold
    truthbetold
    Participant

Timeline seems to fit Grass Skirt<br>
    “built out from “vanilla” Box in 2012″<br>
    Opened September 2012.<br>
    When MadLab cleared out, it was pretty much just that. Four walls with a roof.

WOW. I was told Carmen left Surly to focus exclusively on Grass Skirt. Now it’s for sale? This seems to be getting worse by the day

OneBagTravel
    Participant

^you mean Liz Lessner right? She did say that in the article about Surly Girl closing.

“The other restaurants are totally fine,” Lessner said. “Nothing is changing.”

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2015/04/20/surly-girl-to-close.html

“Bars have a certain life cycle to be relevant,” Owens said. “We’d have to do a concept revamp [to stay relevant], and I don’t want to do a concept revamp. I just want to focus on the concept I do have [Grass Skirt Tiki Room]. My immediate plan is to focus on Grass Skirt full-time. We have some fun plans for the patio and the menu revamp is coming up soon, and I’m excited to focus on just one restaurant because it’s been a little rough doing two.”

http://www.columbusalive.com/content/stories/2015/04/23/short-norths-surly-girl-saloon-to-close-within-week.html

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

The article says Carmen is focusing on Grass Skirt.

gramarye
    Participant

I hate to hear all this and was hoping it would be disproven as rumor, but I just checked the Franklin County clerk of courts’ Web site and a lot of it appears to be true (both regarding the foreclosure and the expanding commercial collection activity that appears to have originated with Eartha). I won’t post in more detail about the personal debt issues, but the part that is of more relevance to the CU community: the amounts in question are moderately high, but are amounts that you would think that a half-dozen or more restaurants could absorb over time if indeed they were all profitable, especially in a near-zero-interest rate environment in which lenders have become surprisingly willing to extend loans again so soon after the post-Lehman credit crunch. That does not fill me with confidence about the financial viability of the other restaurants.

I will keep my fingers crossed that everything will work out for the best–whatever that ends up meaning in this case–for Liz, the restaurants themselves and the communities they serve, and their employees.

truthbetold
    truthbetold
    Participant

This doesn’t surprise me. Liz closed Betty’s and said it was moving downtown. Didn’t happen. Liz closed Jury Room out of nowhere and said she was moving to California to get into the Lemon farm business. Didn’t happen. Liz closes Surly Girl and Carmen is going to focus solely on Grass Skirt. Now it’s for sale? Wonder what the next surprise will be.

RandomVisitor
    Participant

Volume does not necessarily yield profit. Lots of busy places don’t make it.

If you are in the hot dog business, you had better sell a lot of beer.

If you are selling vegetarian sandwiches, you have no chance.

Of course, I could be wrong about everything.

dashinhilliard
    Participant

Did I miss the announcement on the death of the Franklinton Tap Room somewhere?

ohbr
    Participant

No announcement but it was supposedly on track for a fall 2014 opening. The Chintz room and closing 2 restaurants probably 1. Put it to the side or killed it and 2. Provided enough distraction that she hasn’t felt the need to provide any updates.

Shripmster
    Participant

Let’s face it. Lessner tries to carry herself in rarified air and has a following that suggests she can do no wrong. In reality, she’s an opinionated, dishonest, judgmental, hypocrite, hater, bully, who, if you don’t agree with her, will attack you – and as a result, LizNation joins in and the riot is on. There are many ex-employees and business “partners/vendors” who have chosen to stay clear of debating her, either because they don’t want to be put in that position or they chose to take the high road. I know because I’m one of them. And honestly, my steering clear has everything to do with not wanting to be harassed, either publicly or privately. And, yes, so you know, she conducts private harassment as well. So, good riddance

roy
    Participant

Let’s face it..blah blah I am disgruntled…

Hey S is that you?! Everyone can tell it is and it’s not very becoming.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

The Shripmster! Making allegations!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 160 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION