Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Surly Girl Closing This Month

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Surly Girl Closing This Month

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 160 total)
  • Author
    Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Ooops. I don’t know why my original Dispatch article link didn’t show up. I CAN’T INTERNET TODAY.

But yeah, Alive says 4/26 is it.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

mbeaumont
    Participant

Well that’s a shame. Surly Girl was always my favorite of Liz’s restaurants, but looks like CFL isn’t interested in the Short North anymore. Too bad.

News
    Participant

Surly Girl Saloon to Close Doors After 10 Years in The Short North
    April 20, 2015 3:35 pm – Walker Evans

When the Surly Girl Saloon opened in the north end of the Short North in late 2005, the neighborhood was a much different place.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/surly-girl-saloon-to-close-doors-after-10-years-in-the-short-north

ColumbusHearsAWho
    ColumbusHearsAWho
    Participant

Too bad, indeed. What exactly does she mean by, “The buyer of our place is kind of what you’d expect for the area, or what it’s become,”?

I’ll still see loads of local businesses populating, investing, and thriving in the Short North. Kingmaker’s kicks ass, Pizzuti’s built the hotel and opened a wonderful art gallery, Mitchell’s runs the restaurant space, Mikey’s late nite has made their site really cool and added Oddfellow’s, Homage is on High Street, Donatos is going to grow, so is White Castle. Last I checked, these are all Columbus businesses, right?

I guess that I’ve just been in earshot of too many conversations lately where, publicly or privately, people act like the Short North, “gosh, just ain’t what it used to be.” I’m sorry, but I’m not going to be the teacher in the lounge, or the old man in the hardware store. It’s a great neighborhood. I don’t live there, and frequently go there to eat, walk, or have fun. I’ve loved it for years and it continues to develop and make Columbus great.

So what if I now cruise past a Chipotle that is half-full of lunch guests?

ColumbusHearsAWho
    ColumbusHearsAWho
    Participant

My second post, after reading the CU article posted above: so, the good old Short North was good because outlaws like Liz and Carmen were there to shuttle prostitutes out of the bar?

Can I wrap my arms around 2015 and give it a big hug?

laikaorbit
    Participant

Too bad, indeed. What exactly does she mean by, “The buyer of our place is kind of what you’d expect for the area, or what it’s become,”?

I’ll still see loads of local businesses populating, investing, and thriving in the Short North. Kingmaker’s kicks ass, Pizzuti’s built the hotel and opened a wonderful art gallery, Mitchell’s runs the restaurant space, Mikey’s late nite has made their site really cool and added Oddfellow’s, Homage is on High Street, Donatos is going to grow, so is White Castle. Last I checked, these are all Columbus businesses, right?

I guess that I’ve just been in earshot of too many conversations lately where, publicly or privately, people act like the Short North, “gosh, just ain’t what it used to be.” I’m sorry, but I’m not going to be the teacher in the lounge, or the old man in the hardware store. It’s a great neighborhood. I don’t live there, and frequently go there to eat, walk, or have fun. I’ve loved it for years and it continues to develop and make Columbus great.

So what if I now cruise past a Chipotle that is half-full of lunch guests?

Agreed, seems a bit snobby/hipsterish of a comment. I’d argue Surly Girl was a great example of a diverse sort of business that could still be in the Short North. It was always busy, so it’s not like the “yuppie crowd” is running grittier/interesting places out of business.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

“remember when” is the worst form of conversation.

bayrea
    Participant

Where exactly was Spirits on High?? It sounds kinda familiar but I can’t put my finger on it.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Where exactly was Spirits on High?? It sounds kinda familiar but I can’t put my finger on it.

Where Barrel is,

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

The area is absolutely different than it was a decade ago, be that good or bad, it holds less appeal for some than others. I don’t go across downtown nearly as much as I used to because the appeal for me isn’t all that great anymore.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

“remember when” is the worst form of conversation.

Now Columbusites can be like New Yorkers with nostalgia for when things were worse.

Also, in the article she says:

“…my immediate plan is to focus on Grass Skirt full time.”

That seems like an odd choice…

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Shitty. Surly Girl was my fav comfort food in the Short North. I never saw it empty too.

At least we still have Dirty Franks, Tip Top, and Grass Skirt (for now…)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 160 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: