Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bricking South Third Street in German Village

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Bricking South Third Street in German Village

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

If you choose to use the hierarchy, by your own identification of 3rd as collector road you’ll find that 20 mph is often recommended for them…as are traffic calming devices.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Aside from bricks or asphalt, I think it’s more important to change up the streetscape to make the area more pedestrian friendly. There’s only one stop light between Livingston and Schiller Park at Whittier, which makes crossing the street pretty treacherous at many intersections. It’s also difficult for cars as they have to pull far out to see around parked cars on Third and have difficulty going straight through Third with traffic coming at 35-40mph from both directions. There is currently a marked crosswalk at Sycamore, and I know I can’t be the only one who’s used it and felt a bit like Frogger, wondering if the cars were going to stop for me or not.

Some medians would be nice, and additional traffic lights would be nice too.

With Third serving as both a commercial corridor as well as a heavily residential area, it should feel more like High Street in the south end of the Short North where you typically aren’t going above 25 mph.

peter
    Participant

If you can’t come to stop from 25MPH fast enough to not hit a child or pedestrian, you need to either get your brakes checked, or put down the phone. Modern cars can come to a halt from 25mph almost instantly. 15mph is torture. I don’t even do that in driveways.

hdtvohio
    Participant

To whoever is doing this, please keep those of us in mind who live and park on Third when you gut it! Make stricter parking pass requirements or something, somehow, please!

Pablo
    Participant

tdziemia said:
    I’d find it more of an issue if the maintenance costs are higher for brick … or the re-installation costs when you need to dig. For me, those are valid points … not a minute and a half in the car.

It’s the initial installation that’s higher with new brick. It would be even higher if the existing brick (if it exists) is reused. Long term, I believe maintenance costs are lower with brick if you spread the cost over the lifetime of the brick – you don’t need to seal cracks, you don’t have to resurface, and if there’s any utility work, the bricks can be set aside and relaid.

Baker
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    God forbid every neighborhood detail not revolving around cars.

Well to be fair, brick streets aren’t the best thing for a road bike either.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Pablo said:
    It’s the initial installation that’s higher with new brick. It would be even higher if the existing brick (if it exists) is reused. Long term, I believe maintenance costs are lower with brick if you spread the cost over the lifetime of the brick – you don’t need to seal cracks, you don’t have to resurface, and if there’s any utility work, the bricks can be set aside and relaid.

Let’s hope they get it to take the first time at least…

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/10/19/watchdog-10-columbus-city-street-bricks.html

Pablo
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    Let’s hope they get it to take the first time at least…

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/10/19/watchdog-10-columbus-city-street-bricks.html

Sounds like the City should go after the supplier.

MHJ
    Participant

peter said:
    If you can’t come to stop from 25MPH fast enough to not hit a child or pedestrian, you need to either get your brakes checked, or put down the phone. Modern cars can come to a halt from 25mph almost instantly. 15mph is torture. I don’t even do that in driveways.

Exactly. People are being absolutely ridiculous in this thread.

Coremodels said:
    If you choose to use the hierarchy, by your own identification of 3rd as collector road you’ll find that 20 mph is often recommended for them…as are traffic calming devices.

The speed limit on Third Street is already higher than 20 mph.

News
    Participant

Village gets $1 million for brick replacement
    By GARY SEMAN JR.
    Tuesday February 17, 2015 10:20 PM

The German Village Society has gotten a cool $1 million to replace portions of brick streets in the neighborhood. In the latest round of funding of Urban Infrastructure Recovery Funds, the city of Columbus awarded the historic district the money toward the repair of Mohawk Street between Whittier Street and Reinhard Avenue.

READ MORE: http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/germanvillage/news/2015/02/16/urban-infrastructure-recovery-funds-village-gets-1-million-for-brick-replacement.html

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE