Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Bricking South Third Street in German Village

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Bricking South Third Street in German Village

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author

rory
    Participant

Probably a bad time to advocate making it one-way so I can get to the park faster ;)

Support builds for bricks on S. 3rd St.

By Mark Ferenchik

The Columbus Dispatch

Friday November 18, 2011

German Village leaders want to see S. 3rd Street paved with bricks between Livingston Avenue and Schiller Park. Now, they have to figure out how much that will cost and whether the city is willing to pay for any of it.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/11/18/support-builds-for-bricks-on-s–3rd-st-.html

melikecheese
    Participant

Yes for bricks!

They just paved over Whittier which was sad.

melikecheese
    Participant

And what about having an open call for bricks to be donated? I can’t tell you how many piles of bricks and random bricks are in the allys and back yards of the entire south end of the city. That would save some cash.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

This has been discussed for at least four years now:

Article from July 2007: https://www.columbusunderground.com/third-street-in-german-village-to-become-brick-again

I wonder if it will ever happen? I’m in favor of it, but it doesn’t seem to be a priority project.

cbus11

I would like to see this too, but agree that it is low on the priority list.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

The city should mark designated parking spaces on Parsons Ave before they chip in on bricking S. 3rd Street.

bman
    Participant

Columbus must grow money on trees. More cops or more fireman or brick streets? We want brick streets!!!! LOL

kessler
    Participant

Which has been said before I’m sure, I’d be in favor of putting all the utility lines underground 1st. Then move on to brick streets. Carry on!

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

bman said:
    Columbus must grow money on trees. More cops or more fireman or brick streets? We want brick streets!!!! LOL

Did you even bother reading the article?

Rick Tilton, a spokesman for the Columbus Department of Public Service, said officials have told German Village leaders that the city will support the project if the neighborhood finds private funding or public money elsewhere.

“Typically, we do not go back to brick (streets). It is extraordinarily expensive,” Tilton said.

Bibler said neighborhood officials will look for a public-private partnership.

To the idea in general, I actually like the idea of the bike lane between the curb and parking. If it ended up looking anything like this:

It could be a good win for the area.

leftovers

I agree that Parsons and burying utilities is probably a higher priority.

Now, they have to figure out how much that will cost and whether the city is willing to pay for any of it.

If the commission approves the plan, neighborhood leaders will ask the city to fund an engineering study to determine the cost, Bibler said. He said he hopes that study will provide details that would help German Village pursue grants.

bman
    Participant

lifeontwowheels said:
    Did you even bother reading the article?

Rick Tilton, a spokesman for the Columbus Department of Public Service, said officials have told German Village leaders that the city will support the project if the neighborhood finds private funding or public money elsewhere.

“Typically, we do not go back to brick (streets). It is extraordinarily expensive,” Tilton said.

Bibler said neighborhood officials will look for a public-private partnership.

To the idea in general, I actually like the idea of the bike lane between the curb and parking. If it ended up looking anything like this:

It could be a good win for the area.

Yes, I read the article … my comment was made to the posters of CU who think all of this should be done by the city or the state.

KSquared

bman said:
    Yes, I read the article … my comment was made to the posters of CU who think all of this should be done by the city or the state.

Where did you see anyone post that opinion?

News
    Participant

German Village leaders meet Wednesday to discuss 3rd street plans
    By Mark Ferenchik
    The Columbus Dispatch
    December 13, 2011 17:12 PM

German Village residents have another chance to have a say on what S. 3rd Street should look like during a meeting at 6 p.m. Wednesday at the German Village Society Meeting Haus, 588 S. 3rd St. The society’s streetscape committee will discuss the planned renovations for the street, which have already been approved by the German Village Commission.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/the-city/2011/12/german-village-meeting.html

MHJ
    Participant

What a terrible, terrible idea. You already have to drive 5 mph in order to go over the bumpy, uneven brick streets on the side roads of German Village. This would be absolutely awful for the main artery going through the neighborhood unless they actually did it correctly and well. I shudder at this notion.

columbusmike
    Participant

MHJ said:
    What a terrible, terrible idea. You already have to drive 5 mph in order to go over the bumpy, uneven brick streets on the side roads of German Village. This would be absolutely awful for the main artery going through the neighborhood unless they actually did it correctly and well. I shudder at this notion.

Why exactly does anyone need to go so fast through a neighborhood? The bumpy, old brick streets actually help to slow traffic and make it safer for kids and other pedestrians. Not to mention, I believe there is even a school on 3rd that would benefit from this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE