Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Sunflower Mural Harms Hillard

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sunflower Mural Harms Hillard

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

JonMyers
    Participant

lol – I’m a mess.

Coreroc

Damn Graffiti!

I can’t see how that violates zoning laws as there is no marketing involved period let alone any that breaches the size limit needed for a permit and prior approval. This kind of thing comes down to the public perception and how the mayors court deals with such instances.

I think it”s a crime to tell your neighbor that a painting of a flower is a bad thing and really feel for the pathetic fuckers that want to make a stink of this very minor situation.

somertimeoh
    Participant

I would totally go sit under this mural today and pretend it was spring.

JD3

JonMyers wrote >>
    lol – I’m a mess.

Seems like you’re not the only one, haha. Still got two threads going on this.

HeySquare
    Participant

I’m going to paint a mural of kittens and big-eyed babies in the Short North. And then install a Precious Moments sculpture garden. I mean… c’mon… who doesn’t like kittens and babies?

fyi, the $150 fine thing is a standard type of fine for code violations– I suspect there isn’t a sunflower mural task force out there. and this mural is apparently in the historic district, which often have guidelines regarding appropriate historic paint colors that can be used.

This kind of fight is a lose-lose for everyone involved. Ultimately, Hilliard, no matter how inoffensive the mural may be, will have to enforce its zoning ordinance. It’s just a shame that the homeowner didn’t work with the local government *before* painting the mural, to make this a win-win situation. Clearly, as so many of the Short North businesses have done, public art can be accomplished within a historic district successfully.

agtw31

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION