Our City Online

Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Sugar Bar 2

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife Sugar Bar 2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Steve
    Participant

Walker said:
    It’s the same owners, so imagine changing up the concept to keep it fresh/interesting was the main point behind all of their relaunchings. Nightlife crowds can be fickle customers sometimes.

Never really thought about it that way…

Is demand for clubs increases in Central Ohio, or is this part of a normal “seasonality” of clubs…? Diesel just opened and now Sugar.

I don’t know too much about our club scene except that it hasn’t always been that great.

Matt Boyd
    Participant

stephentszuter said:
    Never really thought about it that way…

Is demand for clubs increases in Central Ohio, or is this part of a normal “seasonality” of clubs…? Diesel just opened and now Sugar.

I don’t know too much about our club scene except that it hasn’t always been that great.

They are trying to create artificial demand. For every new club that opens, there is typically one closing…it’s a natural cycle. This is just a marketing thing to try to convince the club-going public that there is something “new” to experience.

Not saying it’s not a nice place…it’s just probably not going to be unique or innovative.

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

Matt Boyd said:
    They are trying to create artificial demand. For every new club that opens, there is typically one closing…it’s a natural cycle. This is just a marketing thing to try to convince the club-going public that there is something “new” to experience.

Not saying it’s not a nice place…it’s just probably not going to be unique or innovative.

Not my experience overseas… that’s too bad that they don’t create enough revenue to hold permanent establishments…

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

Matt Boyd said:

Here’s an article about the life cycle of nightclubs….

http://www.nochelatina.com/Articles/6275/What-it-Takes-for-Nightclubs-to-Stand-the-Test-of-Time-and-Not-Close-Down

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Isn’t it about time to reopen the old Mecca space? oh wait… never mind.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

stephentszuter said:

Diesel is also the same owners. It’s more of a relaunch/rebranding:

Diesel Club Lounge Replaces Mozaik Lounge

I would say that the total number of nightclubs/lounges has increased over the past 10 years, but the names change and so do owners sometimes. I don’t really see it as being a problem that they’re not around forever and ever. What’s the problem with making changes?

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

Walker said:
    Diesel is also the same owners. It’s more of a relaunch/rebranding:

I would say that the total number of nightclubs/lounges has increased over the past 10 years, but the names change and so do owners sometimes. I don’t really see it as being a problem that they’re not around forever and ever. What’s the problem with making changes?

Nothing wrong with it. I guess I just didn’t know that some clubs operate on a cycle like that.

Just interesting, I guess.

Schoolboy
    Participant

I don’t remember the “old Red Zone” being Top 40.

Maybe it was.

Neil Jaye

Schoolboy said:
    I don’t remember the “old Red Zone” being Top 40.

Maybe it was.

It wasn’t so much in the late 90’s and early 2000’s but toward the end it was more top 40 and Hip Hop of memory serves.

GCrites80s
    Participant

“Can’t get enough Super Golden Crisp, it’s got the crunch with punch!”

oh, Sugar Bar.

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

For what it’s worth, I did go here. It was decent, but it seemed like it was a temporary setup. The coat check was pretty horrid and there was an ATM… which is nice, but the whole place screamed, “We’re here, but only temporarily…”

I will check out Diesel… Hopefully they won’t charge $10 for cover, $5 for coat check like Sugar did.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

stephentszuter said:
    For what it’s worth, I did go here. It was decent, but it seemed like it was a temporary setup. The coat check was pretty horrid and there was an ATM… which is nice, but the whole place screamed, “We’re here, but only temporarily…”

I will check out Diesel… Hopefully they won’t charge $10 for cover, $5 for coat check like Sugar did.

I’m waiting for Sugar Bar 3.

cadillackid
    Participant

I wish a good Techno club with state of the art Lights and sound would open in this town… I could always go to (Cr)AXis but the twinks arent my crowd… I just like to dance ot FAST beats.. not all the downbeat R & B stuff that seems to get played everywhere these days..

and come on.. the old lighting systems in use are pathetic.. I use 10 times better stuff in my christmas Lights display every year!
    -Christopher

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Sounds like Diesel sank some money into their sound and lighting systems during their recent renovation from Mozaik:

News
    Participant

Man Shot In The Back At Downtown Columbus Nightclub
    Sunday November 10, 2013 8:39 AM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – A man was rushed to the hospital after being shot twice at a downtown Columbus nightclub. The shooting happened at 2 a.m. Sunday at the Red Zone Nightclub on South Front Street.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/11/10/columbus-front-street-red-zone-shooting.html

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: