Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Studio Movie Grill Opens in former Arena Grand Theatre

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Studio Movie Grill Opens in former Arena Grand Theatre

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

mrpoppinzs

Coremodels said:
    As long as it still remains the most kid-free movie theater in town, I’m cool with it.

The Arena District is a Family District. ;)

Nicholas Herum
    Participant

Stopped by last night for one last visit to the theater. They were relatively busy and concessions were discounted by 50% (not including alcohol, Jeni’s and Bistro items).

geoyui
    Participant

Let’s see how this turns out …
    Studio Movie Grill founder promising first-class experience at Arena Grand after $3.6M renovation

The Arena Grand Theatre will get upgraded this summer into the Studio Movie Grill Arena Grand, with 800 of its 2,000 seats replaced by tables and bigger chairs, as part of a renovation with an expected price tag of $3.6 million.

Brian Schultz, the founder of the Dallas-based chain who has pushed the dine-in theater model for 20 years, said the 11-screen Arena Grand will have the same number of screens after the transformation set for completion by late August or early September.

The renovations include building out a first-floor commercial kitchen and expanding the second-level foodservice space into a larger bar and restaurant for guests to meet before and after the movie.

News
    Participant

Movie Houses of Worship: Saying Goodbye to Columbus, Ohio’s Arena Grand Theater
    Features By Neil Miller on June 9, 2013

Later this month, I have a planned trip that would see my first return to the state of Ohio in several years. In fact, since moving myself and Reject HQ down to Austin, Texas (home of the oft-talked about Alamo Drafthouse), I have not been back to Ohio — be it my place of birth Cleveland or favorite former town of Columbus — when it hasn’t been the dead of winter. Going back for a visit during the summer yields numerous opportunities that didn’t exist the last time I was there, most notably going outside and doing some exploration. One of my favorite places in the entire state of Ohio to walk around and get into trouble has always been The Arena District in downtown Columbus.
    READ MORE: http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/features/movie-houses-of-worship-saying-goodbye-to-columbus-ohios-arena-grand-theater.php

News
    Participant

Arena Grand reopening delayed
    Aug 21, 2013, 12:27pm EDT
    Brian R. Ball
    Staff reporter – Business First

Those anticipating the smell of popcorn and grilled sandwiches to waft from the lobby of the former Arena Grand Theatre yet this summer will have to wait until November before the revamped and rebranded cinema reopens.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2013/08/21/arena-grand-reopening-delayed.html

lattethunder
    Participant

From the movie houses of worship article:

“But I loved the Arena Grand theater. As someone who was born and spent his first 25 years in the humdrum existence known as Ohio, it felt like something a little fancy.”

Damn, I hope someone showed him a more exciting Columbus when he came back for his “Tour de Ohio 2013.”

You know, I always forget when my friends come home for the holidays that they probably know little about whats going on in Columbus. Not just because they haven’t been here in a while and so much has changed, but because a lot of the kids that go away for college (or immediately afterwards) haven’t actually experienced Columbus as an adult. I always end up meeting them in their parents suburbs or wherever because I never think about showing them what has become MY city and no longer ours.

I wonder how many of them feel they escaped “humdrum Ohio” as well.

News
    Participant

Nov 18, 2013, 11:42am EST
    Arena Grand reopening pushed back till after holidays
    Brian R. Ball – Staff reporter – Business First

The Arena Grand Theatre’s reopening as Studio Movie Grill will miss the holiday movie season after all. The Dallas-based chain of dine-in cinemas had hoped to open in November after missing its original Labor Day weekend target. The independent Arena Grand closed after Memorial Day.

The new scheduled opening date is Jan. 14.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2013/11/arena-grand-reopening-pushed-back-till.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search

futureman
    Participant
    Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Friday, January 17th, through Sunday, January 19th, we will be holding a Can Film Festival at our new Arena Grand location. If you bring two canned food items in to donate to the Mid-Ohio Food Bank your movie ticket is only $1. The ticket is only valid for a showtime available this weekend, but can be used for 3D features as well as 2D.

News
    Participant

Studio Movie Grill Opens in Arena District
    Published on January 14, 2014 2:15 pm
    By: Ayana Wilson

Dinner and a movie is one of the most revered traditions in American history. Every year, consumers spend millions to indulge in foods and worlds outside their every day, and the folks behind Studio Movie Grill Arena Grand not only understand this practice, they perpetuate it.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/studio-movie-grill-opens-in-arena-district-aw1

News
    Participant

Studio Movie Grill Brings Cinema Back to the Arena District
    Published on January 14, 2014 6:45 pm
    By: Hope Madden

Those of you who’ve missed having a Downtown movie destination since the Arena Grand closed last May – particularly those with a hankering for more than popcorn with their movies – rejoice. The Texas based cinema-dining franchise Studio Movie Grill has renovated the space at 175 W. Nationwide Blvd. and opens its doors, lights its stoves and rolls credits this week.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/studio-movie-grill-brings-cinema-back-to-the-arena-district-hm1

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE