Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Studio 35 ballot issue: VOTE!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Studio 35 ballot issue: VOTE!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)
  • Author

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

TheButcher wrote >>

AmyArt21 wrote >>

TheButcher wrote >>
    Here is an even better idea. Tell them to vote NO on these issues. Studio 35 is a movie theatre that serves beer, not a night club that shows movies. They don’t need the ability to serve liquor, and they can serve wine now if they want to.

The Gateway Theater serves cocktails.
    Don’t see what the big deal is.
    Seems to me the only reason a people would vote “No” on this issue would be: a) if they are completely anti-alcohol or b) if they have some sort of personal vendetta against the theater.

The Gateway Theatre provides their own parking and is not stuck in the middle of a residential neighborhood. Just a few weeks ago, we had a drunk patron that left Studio 35 and sideswiped a few cars down Milford on his way out.

If the area around the Gateway isn’t residential, what is? That area has one of the highest population density’s in Columbus.

I always love the “one idiot did x so we have to limit everyone else’s fun” arguments. Please, take the self righteous stick of morality out of your ass.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Bear wrote >>
    now if I could just vote on OSULew’s anti-panty-twisting ballot initiative
    tha’d be awesome

I don’t think that the public truly understands the impact of getting one’s panties twisted/bunched/or otherwise in disarray. I’m trying to spread the word and raise awareness.

Normally I’d suggest that the panty twisting victim settle down and have a damn cocktail, but ‘parently that ain’t gonna work here. I’ll regroup and return with a new tactic as soon as I can.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Via email newsletter:

Customers, Friends & Clintonville Neighbors:

We wanted to make sure you were aware that a Studio 35-related issue will be part of tomorrow’s election. We are seeking a liquor license in addition to our current license to sell beer.

As you know, since becoming owners of Studio 35 we have sought many ways to improve the movie-going experience as well as give back to the community. Improving the sound, adding recycling efforts, hosting local fundraising events and upgrading the beer system are just some of the ways that we’ve tried to make the Studio 35 experience even better. We view our application for this license as just another one of these improvements. In seeking a liquor license we hope to better service our diverse tastes of our guests, who have often asked for wine in addition to beer.

Some have asked if our expanded offerings will change Studio 35. It is important to note that the license we are requesting is attached to Studio 35 as it is operating as a movie theater. The license cannot be transferred to any other kind of business in this location. In addition, we are committed to serving alcohol responsibly to all of our movie-going patrons. We want Studio 35 to continue to be the great, local movie theater which has served Clintonville for the past 70 years.

We know that a change like this may generate some questions and we want to be able to answer them so you may make informed decisions when voting in May. Please feel free to contact us directly at 226.4755 or @studio35.com">eric@studio35.com with any inquiries.

Thank you as always for your support!
    Rita & Eric

TheButcher

Walker wrote >>
    Via email newsletter:
    We wanted to make sure you were aware that a Studio 35-related issue will be part of tomorrow’s election. We are seeking a liquor license in addition to our current license to sell beer.
    As you know, since becoming owners of Studio 35 we have sought many ways to improve the movie-going experience as well as give back to the community. Improving the sound, adding recycling efforts, hosting local fundraising events and upgrading the beer system are just some of the ways that we’ve tried to make the Studio 35 experience even better. We view our application for this license as just another one of these improvements. In seeking a liquor license we hope to better service our diverse tastes of our guests, who have often asked for wine in addition to beer.
    Some have asked if our expanded offerings will change Studio 35. It is important to note that the license we are requesting is attached to Studio 35 as it is operating as a movie theater. The license cannot be transferred to any other kind of business in this location. In addition, we are committed to serving alcohol responsibly to all of our movie-going patrons. We want Studio 35 to continue to be the great, local movie theater which has served Clintonville for the past 70 years.
    We know that a change like this may generate some questions and we want to be able to answer them so you may make informed decisions when voting in May. Please feel free to contact us directly at 226.4755 or @studio35.com">eric@studio35.com with any inquiries.
    Rita & Eric

This is the deception. They can already serve wine for on premise consumption because they have a D2 license.
    I am not opposed to Studio 35 serving beer, but at what point do you say enough is enough. Are they a theatre that serves beer or are they a bar that just happens to show movies. They go on to say that they serve alcohol responsibly, that is border line truth. I know for a fact they used to have underage employs that would freely help themselves to whatever they felt like drinking.
    And whenever the residents try and talk to the owner about the parking and littering situation nothing gets done about it. They just ignore us. It is easy to say this is no big deal, but do you live across the street from the theatre? Are you a resident of the neighborhood that would be impacted by this decision?
    I am not trying get my panties in a bunch about this issue, I am just trying to show the other side of the issue.

Tigertree

I think knowing they are letting underage employees “help themselves” to alcohol whenever they feel like drinking is a pretty big allegation and unfair to be throwing around if you don’t have proof of it. I don’t know many bar (or other, frankly) businesses that let employees help themselves to the merchandise…

Kahiki

TheButcher wrote >>

Walker wrote >>
    Via email newsletter:
    Rita & Eric

This is the deception. They can already serve wine for on premise consumption because they have a D2 license.
    I am not opposed to Studio 35 serving beer, but at what point do you say enough is enough. Are they a theatre that serves beer or are they a bar that just happens to show movies. They go on to say that they serve alcohol responsibly, that is border line truth. I know for a fact they used to have underage employs that would freely help themselves to whatever they felt like drinking.
    And whenever the residents try and talk to the owner about the parking and littering situation nothing gets done about it. They just ignore us. It is easy to say this is no big deal, but do you live across the street from the theatre? Are you a resident of the neighborhood that would be impacted by this decision?
    I am not trying get my panties in a bunch about this issue, I am just trying to show the other side of the issue.

What does parking and littering have to do with liquor? This statement makes it sound like you simply have a axe to grind in general.

I’ve never lived across the street from Studio 35, but I grew up and lived a lot of my life on E. Como (two blocks north) and never had any problems, noise or otherwise.

For anyone who knows: When did the theatre last have a full bar?

CheeseFoodie
    Participant

I used to live in walking distance to Studio 35, and I would have gone more often if they had wine and alcohol.

cc

I think they should be approved. I do hope that they don’t shift too much into a bar (and concentrate less on the theater) as it may be more lucrative to do that.

Bear
    Participant

TheButcher wrote >>

Those devious bastards! Going to all this trouble to get us to pass a law to ensure that they can do what they can already do.

Clearly, the next step in their plan is… is… uhh……..

ok, help me out here.

Cookie

Kahiki wrote >>
    For anyone who knows: When did the theatre last have a full bar?

I’m not sure. Fifteen or twenty years ago?

I think a quick view of the OPs other topics started make it clear there’s an axe to grind.

jimbach
    Participant

Bear wrote >>

TheButcher wrote >>

Those devious bastards! Going to all this trouble to get us to pass a law to ensure that they can do what they can already do.
    ok, help me out here.

Next thing you know they’re gonna want permission to show movies there, the cheeky bastards…

Kahiki

Bear wrote >>

TheButcher wrote >>

ok, help me out here.

I assume he’s saying that by lumping the wine and liquor together, you mobilize more voters. Wine has a different moral status than liquor.

Mister MooCow
    Participant

Core_Models wrote >>
    I think a quick view of the OPs other topics started make it clear there’s an axe to grind.

I gots no axes to grind, only hooves to to trim!

moo!

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Studio 35 actually has a pretty nice bar on the right-hand entrance. You just never see it because it’s in the dark. So they’re not talking about replacing the ticket counter, or removing seats, or anything drastic. They just want to be able to use that space for the purpose it was created.

Furthermore, Studio 35’s management has proven time and again–through their movie selections, special events, and community engagement–that they have a respect for film that’s both rare and pure. If they think the re-opening of their bar would serve them in their mission to show great movies in a unique atmosphere, I say you should trust them. They’ve earned that, at least; a dozen times over.

So until they actually start playing Lady Gaga and shooting off rave lights during Chimes at Midnight (or whatever), I think Butcher’s fears are not only unfounded but insulting to the reputation that Studio 35 has built.

They know what they’re doing when it comes to movies.

Plus have you ever seen somebody line their coat pockets with Pabst tallboys in the fear that they’ll sober up halfway through The Room? Some movies just require stronger drinks.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 53 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: