Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Studio 35 ballot issue: VOTE!

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Studio 35 ballot issue: VOTE!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author

Mister MooCow
    Participant

Studio 35 has two ballot issues (11a and 11b) on the slate for this Tuesday’s election in precinct 19F (in the southeastern part of Clintonville around the theater). They’re asking for permission to serve wine and mixed drinks (one issue) and to serve them on Sunday (a second issue). You can read the exact wording on the issues-only ballot for precinct 19F.

Even if you don’t live in the area, you probably know someone who does live nearby — call them up, email them, text them (not while driving, of course!), tweet @ them, meet them F2F — make sure they’re going to vote on Tuesday to support Studio 35. Even if they don’t want to vote in the primaries, they can and should vote on the issues.

Studio 35 is a great asset to Clintonville (and Columbus); show them some love!

I remember, mooing the time warp <kick kick>

TheButcher

Here is an even better idea. Tell them to vote NO on these issues. Studio 35 is a movie theatre that serves beer, not a night club that shows movies. They don’t need the ability to serve liquor, and they can serve wine now if they want to.

Mister MooCow
    Participant

TheButcher wrote >>
    they can serve wine now if they want to.

Actually, they can’t serve wine; they can only sell wine for take-out (thank you, Anti-Saloon League, for some of the weirdest laws about alcohol in these 50 United States).

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

TheButcher wrote >>
    Here is an even better idea. Tell them to vote NO on these issues. Studio 35 is a movie theatre that serves beer, not a night club that shows movies. They don’t need the ability to serve liquor, and they can serve wine now if they want to.

You pretty much sum up the reason why liquor laws suck.

AmyArt21
    Participant

TheButcher wrote >>

The Gateway Theater serves cocktails.
    Don’t see what the big deal is.

Seems to me the only reason a people would vote “No” on this issue would be: a) if they are completely anti-alcohol or b) if they have some sort of personal vendetta against the theater.

Cookie

I was just saying that I miss when Studio 35 had a full bar.

Bear
    Participant

Some great theme possibilities here… have a Vesper at a Bond movie? Hmmm

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The official ballot language:

Columbus 19 – F (Local Option)
    Particular Location – Sunday Sales (10 a.m. – midnight)
    Hardballs and Dingdong Inc., dba Studio 35 Cinema 3055 Indianola Ave., Cols, OH 43202

TheButcher

Here is the current license they hold:
    PERMIT HOLDER—————–CLASSES ORIGINAL QUOTA
    ——————————_______ ISSUE DATE EXEMPT

3594498 D2 01/08/2009 NONE
    D2X 01/08/2009 NONE
    HARDBALLS AND DINGDONG INC
    DBA STUDIO 35 CINEMA
    PARTIAL 2ND FL & BSMT
    3055 INDIANOLA AV 1ST FL
    COLUMBUS OHIO 43202

CORPORATION / STOCKHOLDER DATA SHARES STATUS
    ERIC BREMBECK 49.00 PRESIDENT
    RITA VOLPI 51.00 VICE PRES.
    They have a D2 and a D2x. Here is a link that explains liquor license:
    http://com.ohio.gov/liqr/PermitClasses.aspx

Here is the specific information on a D2 and D2x:
    D2 $564 ORC 4303.14 Wine and certain prepackaged drinks for on premises consumption or in sealed containers for carry out.
    D2X $376 ORC 4303.141 Beer only for on premises consumption or in sealed containers.

So, Yes they can sell wine if they want to. Which is what they originally told people was the reason they were doing this.

TheButcher

AmyArt21 wrote >>

TheButcher wrote >>

The Gateway Theater serves cocktails.
    Don’t see what the big deal is.
    Seems to me the only reason a people would vote “No” on this issue would be: a) if they are completely anti-alcohol or b) if they have some sort of personal vendetta against the theater.

The Gateway Theatre provides their own parking and is not stuck in the middle of a residential neighborhood. Just a few weeks ago, we had a drunk patron that left Studio 35 and sideswiped a few cars down Milford on his way out.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

So where’s your rant about the Arena Grand serving cocktails. Does the Movie Tavern in Hilliard outrage you too? Trying to figure out what’s got your panties in a twist about this.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Ugh. Nevermind. I don’t wanna play this.

Roland
    Participant

@TheButcher. They already have the D2 and D2x liceneses. The ballot initiative states that they would be approved for those plus the D3 license.

D3 = ORC 4303.15 Spirituous liquor for on premises consumption only until 1:00am.

I don’t like drunk drivers either but I do like people who can drink responsibly. I would rather support them, then restrict everyone on behalf of those who are irresponsible.

Roland wrote >>
    I don’t like drunk drivers either but I do like people who can drink responsibly. I would rather support them, then restrict everyone on behalf of those who are irresponsible.

+ 1.
    i’m also a neighbor to studio 35 and the theater and yeah me too were big plusses when i decided i wanted to move to this block of indianola.

Bear
    Participant

now if I could just vote on OSULew’s anti-panty-twisting ballot initiative

tha’d be awesome

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: