Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Stretch of I-70 Downtown Reduced to 55MPH

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Stretch of I-70 Downtown Reduced to 55MPH

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

futureman
    Participant

What is the speed limit on 70/71 (from 71/315 and where 71 splits off) and 71 heading north to 670? I was thinking they were already 55mph, but I don’t recall.

It could be worse, Chicago around the loop I-90/94 is 45mph speed limit.

dwinks
    Participant

futureman said:
    What is the speed limit on 70/71 (from 71/315 and where 71 splits off) and 71 heading north to 670? I was thinking they were already 55mph, but I don’t recall.

I fail to see how this is “worse”. What would be even better would be to remove 71, 315, 670 and 70 inside of the outer-belt, re-unify all the neighborhoods destroyed by the gaping chasms of pavement, and put in a decent light-rail system. 55 is still too high.

lifeliberty said:
    so, instead of requiring drivers be better, they just make it take longer for me to get to my brother’s house? thank you suck ass drivers! If you can’t navigate that simple S curve at 65 you either need to get your POS to a garage or take some driving lessons.

Ohio by far has the worst drivers I have ever seen.

DavidF
    Participant

I can talk to buffalos said:

From your body of work so far, Ohio has the worse of everything you’ve ever seen.

Ironically, I don’t disagree on this one.

Edited to be much nicer than it should have been.

BenH

I can talk to buffalos said:

Clearly you’ve never been to Massachusetts.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The worst drivers can always be found in the closest proximity to wherever you currently are.

Same goes for worst weather.

DavidF
    Participant

Walker said:
    The worst drivers can always be found in the closest proximity to wherever you currently are.

Truth!

jus10dk
    Participant

Indianapolis has I-70 (and other freeways) slowing down to 55 for miles outside of the city center… and down to 45 for a significant section of the road as well. Other cities are the same way, and it’s actually kind of nice… gives you more of an opportunity to see the city instead of flying through it.

Walker said:

While there is slight truth in this, I’m basing this on my own experience, in addition to the experiences of multiple truck-drivers I have spoken to (who have driven in nearly all 50 states) who say that Ohio, by far, has the worst drivers. I certainly did not feel the same way about other state’s drivers when I have lived elsewhere. Simply an observation.

Weather, ehhh, I don’t mind Ohio weather all too much. Particularly the winters.

cc

jus10dk said:
    Indianapolis has I-70 (and other freeways) slowing down to 55 for miles outside of the city center… and down to 45 for a significant section of the road as well. Other cities are the same way, and it’s actually kind of nice… gives you more of an opportunity to see the city instead of flying through it.

You will not see much of Columbus, as it takes that dip, you mostly fly under it… It is pretty much a car ditch.

johnwirtz
    Participant

Walker said:
    I thought the whole reason we were spending nearly $2 Billion of the Split Fix is because of safety issues.

Why not lower the speed limit through the whole split and call it a day? Spend the $2 billion on something better.

What’s better than two extra lanes of freeway in downtown?

johnwirtz
    Participant

futureman said:

The whole Dan Ryan is 45 MPH in the local lanes from the I-94/I-57 split through downtown (express lanes are 55). People still drive 70 MPH though until they get stuck in traffic approaching the Circle.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

It has been a few years since I drove I-294 north but back then it was a series of 0 – 80 – 0 sprints from one toll booth to another.

Chicago, the home of left-lane-must-turn-right driving

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

lifeliberty said:
    so, instead of requiring drivers be better, they just make it take longer for me to get to my brother’s house? thank you suck ass drivers! If you can’t navigate that simple S curve at 65 you either need to get your POS to a garage or take some driving lessons.

ohio should absolutely require more difficult driver testing as well as more stricter vehicle inspections.

some of these cars i see on the roads are ticking time bombs, scary.

johnwirtz
    Participant

alexs said:
    It has been a few years since I drove I-294 north but back then it was a series of 0 – 80 – 0 sprints from one toll booth to another.

Chicago, the home of left-lane-must-turn-right driving

We have open road tolling now, so you only have to stop at toll booths if you are a cash-paying driver.

Yes, Chicago drivers are horrible.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: