Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Stretch of I-70 Downtown Reduced to 55MPH

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Stretch of I-70 Downtown Reduced to 55MPH

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

You’ll Soon Have To Drive 55 On I-70

Monday, July 25, 2011

WBNS-10TV

Columbus City Council voted on Monday to decrease the speed limit along Interstate 70 on the east side to 55 mph. The vote came after the Ohio Department of Transportation requested that the city approve the speed limit reduction along the freeway between downtown and the East Livingston Avenue exit, 10TV’s AJ Smith reported.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/stories/2011/07/25/story-columbus-speed-limit-decreased.html?sid=102

Speed Limit Will Be Reduced On I-70 East Of Downtown

By LIZ LANE

Published: July 25, 2011

Motorists who use Interstate 70 to get through Downtown are going to see a speed-limit reduction. Monday night, Columbus city council approved an ODOT proposal to lower the speed limit to 55 miles per hour on the stretch of the Interstate 70 between Interstate 71 and the Livingston Avenue exit. That’s east of Downtown.

READ MORE: http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2011/jul/25/speed-limit-be-reduced-stretch-i-70-ar-637939/

lifeliberty
    Participant

so, instead of requiring drivers be better, they just make it take longer for me to get to my brother’s house? thank you suck ass drivers! If you can’t navigate that simple S curve at 65 you either need to get your POS to a garage or take some driving lessons.

futureman
    Participant

How do you require people be better drivers?

.. and it’s only a 2 mile stretch that is being changed (from 71 to Livingston).

groundrules
    Participant

lifeliberty said:
    so, instead of requiring drivers be better, they just make it take longer for me to get to my brother’s house? thank you suck ass drivers! If you can’t navigate that simple S curve at 65 you either need to get your POS to a garage or take some driving lessons.

you get road rage just talking about the split.

2thDoc
    Participant

670 is 55 as it crosses downtown. (Most do not slow down) So for all the really good, really fast drivers, it probably won’t affect their commutes.

rus
    rus
    Participant

futureman said:
    How do you require people be better drivers?

Remove the airbag from the steering wheel. Replace it with a spring loaded steel spike.

Enforce minimum speed limits with snipers. Optionally, install flamethrowers in the median to BBQ the slow driver in the left lane.

Anyone lip flapping on a cell phone while driving ( or fucking about with the radio, beating their children, eating, etc. ) can be shot on sight. Shooter gets the car and any surviving passengers as sex slaves / organ donors.

Old and busted: State highway patrol cruiser
    New hotness: State highway patrol AH-64 Apache helicopter.

* Brought to you by the Michael Bay school of highway engineering

lifeliberty
    Participant

groundrules said:
    you get road rage just talking about the split.

ha!

lifeliberty
    Participant

I’d be fine with more enforcement of the laws in place.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

rus said:
    Remove the airbag from the steering wheel. Replace it with a spring loaded steel spike.

Enforce minimum speed limits with snipers. Optionally, install flamethrowers in the median to BBQ the slow driver in the left lane.

Anyone lip flapping on a cell phone while driving ( or fucking about with the radio, beating their children, eating, etc. ) can be shot on sight. Shooter gets the car and any surviving passengers as sex slaves / organ donors.

Old and busted: State highway patrol cruiser
    New hotness: State highway patrol AH-64 Apache helicopter.

* Brought to you by the Michael Bay school of highway engineering

FUCK YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

GCrites80s
    Participant

Tons of semis have ate it on the eastbound Livingston curve in the past year. Lots of cars too. So many semis went over the guardrail that all the trees got knocked down in one section of the embankment and they started landing in someone’s yard. They installed taller single-plane barriers on the right side of the road. Then, a couple months ago, a semi crashed so hard that it landed ON Livingston. It’s probably better to lower the limit simply so that people aren’t carrying so much speed into the curve. Sports cars and even well-maintained normal cars don’t have to lift too much, but other vehicles often do as their speed exceeds their talent level, distraction level and the abilities of their vehicle.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I thought the whole reason we were spending nearly $2 Billion of the Split Fix is because of safety issues.

Why not lower the speed limit through the whole split and call it a day? Spend the $2 billion on something better.

misskitty
    Participant

I hate to punish the people that drive well. But I guess since it’s only a 2 mile stretch it’s acceptable. I imagine it will go back up after the construction on the area gets done. So we could look at it as a preview of making sure we don’t speed through the soon to be orange barrel zone.
    However this does mean that the cops are going to be ticketing people there for the next two months because of the speed change. Speed safely ;)

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker said:
    I thought the whole reason we were spending nearly $2 Billion of the Split Fix is because of safety issues.

Why not lower the speed limit through the whole split and call it a day? Spend the $2 billion on something better.

Gonna cost at least $2B to put roundabouts and bike lanes on 70.

joev
    Participant

I don’t think anyone should really complain too much about this. The speed limit change will make it take about 20 seconds longer for you to drive this stretch of road. And if it prevents semis from flipping, it’s going to save you a lot more time waiting for the highways to clear after accidents.

bldng4jstc
    Participant

lifeliberty said:
    so, instead of requiring drivers be better, they just make it take longer for me to get to my brother’s house?

The productivity of this town must be enormously high given the response of needing an extra 16 seconds or so to be safer. No wonder people hate walking/cycling/COTA so much – it takes me an extra 10 minutes(gasp) to cycle to work instead of driving. I must be a lazy hippie or something…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: