Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Street Speech newspaper

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Street Speech newspaper

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 94 total)
  • Author

shirtandpants
    Participant

Jesus christ, heaven forbid one of those disgusting homeless people actually SPEAK to someone who’s innocently trying to enjoy a lovely afternoon shopping for $200 jeans, eating at high-end restaurants, and eating tiny $5 artisan ice cream cones. It must be SO HARD.

People, if you can’t be enough of a human being to just suck it up and say, “no, thank you,” even if it is a few times, then you should probably just stay home or do your shopping at Polaris or Easton. Or do what everyone else on this board seems to do and just buy one so they can wave it in the other homeless folks’ faces as a Get Out of Guilt Free pass.

Hell, if you hate it so much, then buy all the papers they have on them and they’ll be out of commission for a bit.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

If you’re referring to what I said, you’re exaggerating. No one said that street speech vendors are disgusting. Most of them are nice enough people.

And I’d have no problem if it were “a few times” of saying no thank you. But as I said before, I have to say no a total of 8 times to walk from my office to buy a can of coke. I probably average a total of 12 “nos” per weekday. Which means a total of 119 nos per biweekly issue (and one yes).

I don’t think it’s an exaggeration to say that seems a bit annoying.

It does seem a bit silly for you to try to characterize anyone who has a problem with that as rich snobby elitists, because that’s not the case either, nor is it a productive way to present your side of the argument.

Liner Notes
    Liner Notes
    Participant

I have witnessed on more than one occasion sellers of the street sheet (often without proper license) with open containers of alcohol, verbally accost passers by, touch people inappropriately, and approach people by tapping on their car windows before they have even had a chance to get out. How is this different than aggressive panhandling?

I’m not saying this is representative of all sellers. But unfortunately it does happen. Perhaps a consistent customer friendly approach to selling is needed to generate a safe and polite atmosphere for all.

As far as shopping at Easton or Polaris… Why should a downtown shopper be harassed and treated with any less respect just because that’s where they choose to shop?

cc

I think non overly aggressive soliciting is part of the public urban experience and though I don’t like it, I have to accept it. My issue with street speech is that it seems to have become a gimmick (I was much more in favor of it when it started) and the lack of defined territories with seller accountability makes it more prone to wild west shenanigans.

JonMyers
    Participant

How about soliciting with a diverse range of goods and services that actually provide value?

If the goal is to get the homeless interacting with the public and to build job skills then this isn’t rocket science. People (their “customers”, the public) have to perceive them as offering something of value.

The paper has no value and thus, isn’t doing anyone any favors. Especially when the market is ridiculously saturated.

BCNation
    Participant

^ +1

I have witnessed on more than one occasion sellers of the street sheet (often without proper license) with open containers of alcohol, verbally accost passers by, touch people inappropriately, and approach people by tapping on their car windows before they have even had a chance to get out. How is this different than aggressive panhandling?
    I’m not saying this is representative of all sellers. But unfortunately it does happen. Perhaps a consistent customer friendly approach to selling is needed to generate a safe and polite atmosphere for all.

This is why I say, “Thanks, but no thanks” to Street Speech sellers. If the homeless people want to make an honest buck, we call it “go and get a real job, not one that makes you look like a sideshow clown panhandling a newspaper that has no direction.” And no, it’s not different from agrgressive panhandling. It makes it sound a lot bad, if worse. And it’s because our government (be it Obama/Kasich) has failed the system.

As far as shopping at Easton or Polaris… Why should a downtown shopper be harassed and treated with any less respect just because that’s where they choose to shop?

What is different from the sidewalks of High/Broad Street and Easton and Polaris is that Easton and Polaris are both private property. There is no way in hell that those developers/powers that be would allow those shenanigans to happen on their property. If you don’t like being harassed by panhandlers while strolling at the Gallery Hop, or going to lunch downtown, then just don’t.

shirtandpants
    Participant

Walker said:
    It does seem a bit silly for you to try to characterize anyone who has a problem with that as rich snobby elitists, because that’s not the case either, nor is it a productive way to present your side of the argument.

I wasn’t referring to you, I was referring to the general tone of this thread, which seems to be that being politely solicited to buy a newspaper, even multiple times, is some horrible intrusion. Talk about an overwhelming sense of entitlement and lack of compassion. Maybe you do have to say “no thank you,” 12 times on your way to buy a coke (pack one from home if it’s that bad?). The people asking you to buy a newspaper have a lot bigger problems…you can at least afford to give them two seconds of dignity.

There are enough people complaining on this thread who are business owners and entrepreneurs who seem to have ideas for how improve this program and make it more effective…why not make some happen instead of complaining about how annoying it is to be spoken to on the street?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

shirtandpants said:
    Maybe you do have to say “no thank you,” 12 times on your way to buy a coke (pack one from home if it’s that bad?). The people asking you to buy a newspaper have a lot bigger problems…you can at least afford to give them two seconds of dignity.

I’ve always given them two seconds of dignity and a polite “no thanks” and will continue to do so. The problem is not with the individuals selling the news papers, but the less-than-ideal setup that is the Street Speech program.

Disliking the Street Speech program does not mean that someone isn’t compassionate to the homeless population.

kessler
    Participant

^^I Agree, however sometimes it is with the individuals. 3 different individuals specifically.
    -This one guy went from table to table in a short north bar attempting to sell the papers. On more than one occasion)
    -Another guy I saw was following a guy from nationwide arena to the north market asking the same guy to buy a paper over and over. This same guy as I returned from my lunch time walk to goodale park and back followed me back to Nationwide arena harrassing me to buy a paper the entire way.
    -Lastly a Different guy Cussed me out for not wanting to buy a paper.

However the majority of people are polite when selling the papers, but not all are.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

I just spoke w/ Ray Daigle who manages Street Speech venders– 614 228 1342. He said people who sell the papers agree in writing to a code of conduct.

“Over the years, some of them decide they want to be aggressive and not follow the rules. We take them out of the program. And a few of them have found ways to get papers and sell them even though they’re not in the program anymore. The general public might not know that and paint our entire program w/ a broad brush as something bad.”

Amidst the recent expiration of Street Speech’s charitable solicitations permit, some the venders contacted their state representatives so as to get a temporary permit for one edition of the paper this month.

In September, Street Speech management will seek from the Columbus Charitable Solicitations Board long-term renewal of their permit.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I resent the homeless. There I said it.

(jk.)

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

Snarf said:
    I resent the homeless. There I said it.

(jk.)

Joking aside, perhaps a key issue here is how we come to terms with perceiving differences between our individual or group situation and the situations of other individuals or groups.

That sense of difference can trigger various responses in our psyches: anxiety, guilt, relief, frustration, and so on.

Some of us, to varying degrees, explain to ourselves those differences in terms of random stuff that happens in life aka, the luck of the draw, which includes how well we might have fared in the genetic lottery, or the lottery of what caliber of parents we were born to, and so on.

And there are some of us who emphasize individual choice and merit to explain our differences, while others emphasize sociology.

And of course, there are religious explanations for the differences among us such as the Hindu belief that those less fortunate than oneself are in that condition as a result of Karma.

There’s the New Testament idea (apparently alien to many past and modern affluent Christians) of being oppressed and lowly in this world as part of a process of inheriting the Kingdom of Heaven.

As for interacting w/ people who I perceive to be generally less fortunate than me, such as someone who fit’s the term ‘homeless, ’ I’m at my best when I don’t feel guilty about my apparently better situation , and don’t feel superior about it either, nor overly emphasize having somehow earned my good fortune. Instead I seek common ground as a matter of enlightened self interest.

Similarly, during my occasional interactions w/ people more wealthy and prominent than I am, or who otherwise seem more fortunate than me, I focus on what we might have in common, instead of being jealous of them, or obsequious, ashamed or defensive about my social status relative to theirs.

lifeliberty
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    I hate overly ambitious sales people.

This is what I feel the problem is too. It is not haves vs have not issue, or that no one wants to see the homelss, that is ridiculous! I’m at the point to where it is getting that I liked it better before the paper came about. i think it is a great idea and concept, don’t get me wrong, I just think the market is saturated right now. and I don’t care if it’s a homelss person selling a paper, it could be anyone selling anything. when you see that product a couple times a block it gets old. No one here is railing against the homeless, I believe everyone here wants to help, and actually does help and they shouldn’t have to defend themselves of being accused of disliking homeless people because that simply is not what I see here.

dwinks
    Participant

There are a few major issues to overcome with giving the homeless training to be productive members of society and get themselves off the street:

1) Some of them have no desire for anything else. Being homeless is their lifestyle choice.
    2) Some of them are just plain crazy or otherwise mentally incapable of having a job, even a lowly menial job.
    3) Some of them have addictions or other societal problems to overcome first.

And one of the biggest issues is funding. Most people don’t want to pay for any of these programs, and politicians don’t want to eliminate the homeless. If the homeless were eliminated, that would only make those living paycheck to paycheck (or worse, cash-advance to cash-advance), barely making it, never having even $1 to spend on anything that’s not a bare-necessity the ‘bottom of the bottom’. As it is, as long as one isn’t on the street, begging for pennies to possibly get food that day, one is doing “alright”. Eliminate the homeless and suddenly a much larger group is at the very bottom, and that isn’t good for re-election time.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

I spoke to the Street Speech dude at North Market today and he mentioned something or other about the paper closing unexpectedly a few weeks ago. Said he was out of work for about two weeks since they didn’t have papers to sell. Granted, this was a brief conversation in passing, not the gospel truth, so I know I don’t have all the details, but I am curious if anyone has heard anything about this.
    I know some people in this thread advocate seeking a better option, but for the moment this is the best (legal) option there is for some.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 94 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION