Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Stray bullet hits COTA rider

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Stray bullet hits COTA rider

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author

mrmann

Walker said:
    I have to wonder what the purpose of The Dispatch sharing this video is. It’s taken from inside the bus, so it does nothing to help catch the shooter.

Just in case people want to see a woman get shot in the head? Get some eyeballs on the Dispatch website today?

Pretty gross.

They showed the video on ABC6 tv. It is not graphic as the camera is of low resolution and showing a large area. I think watching the video helped bring a better sense of empathy. I take that bus now and then and I can relate to the switch from mundane travel to the fear clearly seen as the passengers ducked for cover. I live a couple of blocks away. This isn’t so much accidental as it is neighborhood terrorism. Everyone on that bus and those who live nearby are victims. There have been multiple shootings on that block. I am glad it is getting press.

jimbach
    Participant

labi said:
    I keep thinking, what about some good old public shaming?

Sounds like fun. How can I help?

Coy
    Participant

I missed this whole shooting by minutes on my motorcycle on 4th. The bus was pulled over and ambulances were just getting there as I passed it… sheesh.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

mrmann said:
    I am glad it is getting press.

I’ve never heard of a shooting *not* getting press from the local TV media. They absolutely *love* this kind of stuff.

mrmann

I meant the video showing its effect on the everyday people who were just taking the bus home from work. When you read about a ‘stray bullet’ there might be a tendency to feel that it was an accident with an unlucky victim. It is insulating. The reality is the trauma and sense of insecurity that this can impose on so many people. After seeing that video would you really want your loved ones walking around there at night? Walkscore for WP is phenomenal except for this…

joev
    Participant

Idiots with guns.

JimboJones34

Exactly, a hood rat with an illegal firearm.

labi
    Participant

mrmann said:
    I meant the video showing its effect on the everyday people who were just taking the bus home from work. When you read about a ‘stray bullet’ there might be a tendency to feel that it was an accident with an unlucky victim. It is insulating. The reality is the trauma and sense of insecurity that this can impose on so many people. After seeing that video would you really want your loved ones walking around there at night? Walkscore for WP is phenomenal except for this…

Wow, for a second there I thought you were going to say something like: isn’t it shitty how violence in one poor neighborhood affects all kinds of people, not just the people who live in said neighborhood. Glad we could get back to calling neighborhood residents crazy for living there.

mrmann

labi said:
    Wow, for a second there I thought you were going to say something like: isn’t it shitty how violence in one poor neighborhood affects all kinds of people, not just the people who live in said neighborhood. Glad we could get back to calling neighborhood residents crazy for living there.

I missed the part where I called anyone crazy. I live in WP and like it. That doesn’t mean I feel safe walking around some parts at night. My point is that this shooting does not have an isolated effect and it does go beyond the neighborhood.

rory
    Participant

mrmann said:
    I missed the part where I called anyone crazy. I live in WP and like it. That doesn’t mean I feel safe walking around some parts at night. My point is that this shooting does not have an isolated effect and it does go beyond the neighborhood.

I avoid walking around some parts at night too. But if you look at the glass half-full sprinting somewhere just means you’ll be there twice as fast. ;)

geoyui
    Participant

Was the bus targeted? I’m thinking “stray” in the title indicates it was an accidental shooting?

bucki12

geoyui said:
    Was the bus targeted? I’m thinking “stray” in the title indicates it was an accidental shooting?

When someone is shooting off rounds in the direction of traffic at 3:45 in the afternoon, a block from a school, I have a hard time feeling that there are accidental consequences as easy as it is to label it as such.

geoyui
    Participant

bucki12 said:
    When someone is shooting off rounds in the direction of traffic at 3:45 in the afternoon, a block from a school, I have a hard time feeling that there are accidental consequences as easy as it is to label it as such.

I copied and pasted the title from the dispatch article. Maybe “stray” is what the police call it until their investigation is complete.

labi
    Participant

mrmann said:

I’m glad that’s what you meant. To me, when you said “after seeing that video would you really want your loved ones walking around there at night?” it sounded a lot like the commonly expressed “why would anyone live there,” which (obviously) totally pushes me over the edge. I assume that anyone who says things like that doesn’t live in a place like WP, and since you don’t ID your neighborhood under your username, I had no way of knowing different. I’m glad I was wrong, and I apologize for going off.

News
    Participant

Columbus Police Searching For COTA Passenger Shooting Suspect
    Sunday May 12, 2013 11:25 PM
    By Staff writer
    WBNS-10TV

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Anthony T. Saunders III was named on Sunday night as a suspect in the shooting of a COTA bus passenger. A warrant for felonious assault was issued for the arrest of the 19 year old. His last known address was listed at 1439 N. 6th Street, Columbus.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/05/12/columbus-police-name-suspect-in-cota-passenger-shooting.html

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: