Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Stray bullet hits COTA rider

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Stray bullet hits COTA rider

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

geoyui
    Participant

COTA releases security video of woman struck by stray bullet

Quote:
    A security video released today by the Central Ohio Transit Authority shows passenger Amy Develvis holding her head after being struck by a bullet that was fired from outside the bus near the intersection of N. 4th Street and E. 8th Avenue in the University District.

Quote:
    Two or three passengers come to Develvis’ aid, pressing a sweater and a shirt to stanch the bleeding from her head. The bus comes to a stop near the E. 19th Avenue intersection.

Quote:
    “The heroes were the two or three people who were keeping compression on the wound,” he said of his fellow passengers.

I hope you can get past the paywall. The video is unnerving.

Twixlen
    Participant

Oh man. No more unnerving videos. I’m all done. For reals.

geoyui
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    Oh man. No more unnerving videos. I’m all done. For reals.

I feel ya. Boston Marathon Bombings, Ricin sent to POTUS, Waco fertilizer plant exploding. Enough.

billbix

In the Weinland Park thread they are saying this is next to the new $200k houses they are building. Anyone who is randomly firing a gun in the city absolutely doesn’t give a shit about anything and deserves to have the book thrown at them in the hardest way.

That woman was just trying to get home from work. This is very sad.

Weinland Park Neighbors

jimbach
    Participant

billbix said:
    In the Weinland Park thread they are saying this is next to the new $200k houses they are building. Anyone who is randomly firing a gun in the city absolutely doesn’t give a shit about anything and deserves to have the book thrown at them in the hardest way.

That woman was just trying to get home from work. This is very sad.

https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/weinland-park-neighbors/page/25

I don’t think that it matters whether this happened near $200k houses, $2 million houses, or $20k houses. But if you’re implying it’s not good for the neighborhood, I agree (it happened about three blocks from my house, FWIW…)

billbix

I am implying that private and public partnerships (City of Columbus, Feds, etc) are spending a ton of money to help out certain neighborhoods and are hoping that these efforts pay off by having hard working people invest hard earned money in these subsidized expensive $200k homes while there are other people who just don’t care about any of it.

It doesn’t take a lot to really hurt the perception of an area and make a $200k investment near worthless. There are people on the porches who saw what went down. I hope the community comes together and someone breaks the cycle and points this guy out. Whoever it was who shot that gun was only thinking about himself. A good part of neighborhood building is getting rid of the assholes.

jimbach
    Participant

billbix said:
    I am implying that private and public partnerships (City of Columbus, Feds, etc) are spending a ton of money to help out certain neighborhoods and are hoping that these efforts pay off by having hard working people invest hard earned money in these expensive $200k homes while there are other people who just don’t care about any of it.

It doesn’t take a lot to really hurt the perception of an area and make a $200k investment near worthless. There are people on the porches who saw what went down. I hope the community comes together and someone breaks the cycle and points this guy out. Whoever it was who shot that gun was only thinking about himself.

Then we are in complete agreement.

The problem is that the groups making these investments, while having done a lot to improve the area, are unwilling to make the structural changes necessary to transform the neighborhood in a meaningful way. Unless the unreasonably high concentration of subsidized housing in the vicinity is dispersed, problems like this will continue. Unfortunately, it’s not a politically expedient thing to do.

Don’t get me wrong – I applaud all the new construction and the efforts to increase owner-occupancy in the neighborhood. I just don’t think a lot of stakeholders see the importance of fostering a real mixed-income neighborhood, rather than just using mixed-income as a catchphrase.

goldenidea
    Participant

The problem is that the groups making these investments, while having done a lot to improve the area, are unwilling to make the structural changes necessary to transform the neighborhood in a meaningful way. Unless the unreasonably high concentration of subsidized housing in the vicinity is dispersed, problems like this will continue. Unfortunately, it’s not a politically expedient thing to do.

Don’t get me wrong – I applaud all the new construction and the efforts to increase owner-occupancy in the neighborhood. I just don’t think a lot of stakeholders see the importance of fostering a real mixed-income neighborhood, rather than just using mixed-income as a catchphrase.

+1

While it’s been great to see all the new investment and the positive impacts that have resulted, all of this is at risk, along with the safety of people living and commuting through there, as long these structural changes are not made.

rory
    Participant

I can see the structural changes argument but a lot of the problems come from a couple property owners who are happy to rent to whomever and damn the neighborhood consequences as long as they get the rent. When I moved to Weinland Park a house near me was an open air drug market and the New Albany owner was happy to get his $600 in cash every month from a house that by all rights should have been burned down thirty years ago. And he knew exactly where that money came from. It’s the same thing today. Many of the problems lately come from portfolios owned by people either living in the Short North or Upper Arlington that do not care one bit if someone gets shot in the head as long as they get paid. If those changed hands and were properly managed the effect would be truly transformational. I’m not defending the concentration of poverty. It makes it difficult for a single mother with a bunch of small children to turn in the thugs in the privately rented house next door to her. But in many ways it’s easier to go after welfare recipients than acknowledge the fact that some Short North gentrification, or the nice Arlington lady shopping at Whole Foods, is funded on Weinland Park drug money. Eliminating landlords that profit from it would go a long way.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

geoyui said:
    The video is unnerving.

I have to wonder what the purpose of The Dispatch sharing this video is. It’s taken from inside the bus, so it does nothing to help catch the shooter.

Just in case people want to see a woman get shot in the head? Get some eyeballs on the Dispatch website today?

Pretty gross.

Schoolboy
    Participant

I think I’ll pass on that.

jimbach
    Participant

rory said:
    I can see the structural changes argument but a lot of the problems come from a couple property owners who are happy to rent to whomever and damn the neighborhood consequences as long as they get the rent. When I moved to Weinland Park a house near me was an open air drug market and the New Albany owner was happy to get his $600 in cash every month from a house that by all rights should have been burned down thirty years ago. And he knew exactly where that money came from. It’s the same thing today. Many of the problems lately come from portfolios owned by people either living in the Short North or Upper Arlington that do care one bit if someone gets shot in the head as long as they get paid. If those changed hands and were properly managed the effect would be truly transformational. I’m not defending the concentration of poverty. It makes it difficult for a single mother with a bunch of small children to turn in the thugs in the privately rented house next door to her. But in many ways it’s easier to go after welfare recipients than acknowledge the fact that some Short North gentrification, or the nice Arlington lady shopping at Whole Foods, is funded on Weinland Park drug money. Eliminating landlords that profit from it would go a long way.

Rory, I think you and I are in total agreement on this. But my question to you is this – how do we go after these landlords? Are there laws on the books that are not being enforced? Is this a code enforcement problem? I’m asking, not to be an annoyance, but because I simply don’t know the mechanism by which we go from Point A to Point B in this process. One obvious solution would be to simply buy out these ‘scumlords,’ but that would take more money than any of us have available.

The reason why I harp on the concentration of poverty issue is because I see the solution through a different route. I envision a scenario where an ever-increasing group of neighborhood homeowners badger the city about these problem properties, until it becomes untenable for the landlords to rent to criminals, or even to remain landlords. But the influx of undergraduates aren’t going to agitate, and, sadly, renters, especially marginalized renters, aren’t likely to either.

geoyui
    Participant

Walker said:
    I have to wonder what the purpose of The Dispatch sharing this video is. It’s taken from inside the bus, so it does nothing to help catch the shooter.

Just in case people want to see a woman get shot in the head? Get some eyeballs on the Dispatch website today?

Pretty gross.

sadly I think it’s almost the standard nowadays (especially for print media). How many photos of the Boston marathon runner with the exposed femurs is out there, or the NYC man who was photographed on the train tracks moments before his death. Time magazine’s current issue’s cover photo is a child with blood on his head and hair crying.

In terms of the COTA video, I stopped watching half way thru.

leftovers

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/04/17/columbus-cota-bus-shooting-person-on-interest.html

Develvis’ employers at the One Columbus Center said she had been on the job for only a month, and COTA was her only form of transportation.

There is a bake sale on Monday at the One Columbus building at Broad and High streets to help raise money for the woman

labi
    Participant

jimbach said:
    But my question to you is this – how do we go after these landlords?

I keep thinking, what about some good old public shaming? Every time I look up ownership of a problem property on the auditor’s website and trace it to another very attractive home address in a neighborhood where no one ever even HEARS random gunfire, I wish the two pictures could be published side-by-side: the 4-bedroom loveliness-surrounded-by-lawn next to the sagging-porch eyesore that funds all the loveliness.

Published not just in our WP neighborhood newsletter, but also in the nice, commercially funded neighborhood publications that are circulated in the nice, SAFE neighborhoods where these landlords live.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: