Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Strange Car Issue

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Strange Car Issue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

GCrites80s
    Participant

It might just be done with an ECU reprogramming device such as a Hypertech Power Programmer or a Diablosport Predator depending on what type of car it is. Most of the time people use these to make cars go faster, but they can be used to lower the top speed. You would have to buy the gizmo outright for about $400 or so, but you can also fool with the programming to make the car have better acceleration or fuel mileage than before. No borrowing a buddy’s — the things are too smart for that.

bababoohi

GW_Justice wrote >>
    The hard part of removing a speed limiter will be finding the info on removing it. I would guess the rental company was supposed to have removed it before the sale, but didn’t. They now don’t want to tell anyone how to remove the limiter, because it would expose the secret to anyone who wants to do it to a current rental.

Forgetting to remove it is probably correct. However, cars aren’t all that complex, especially more affordable cars. If there’s a speed governor I would guess it can be removed by a mechanic. I doubt there’s much of a secret to it. It could even have a “seal” on it so that if it can’t be removed without detection.
    I don’t know any of this, just speculating, but I wouldn’t think it could be that hard for a good mechanic to remove it. Most of those guys have seen it all.

bababoohi

paktinat wrote >>
    Are you sure it’s a speed limiter and not a rev limiter?
    Some cars will not let the engine rev over a certain RPM after enough things are detected “wrong” and will go into “Limp” mode to allow the car to limp to a service center.

I doubt this. While most cars do have rev limiters, I wouldn’t think that’s the problem here. Even if you lowered the rev limit via ECU or some other method you would want it at least around 4000 simply for going gear to gear and safe acceleration. At 55 most cars are doing less than 3000 RPM, probably closer to 2500, you would never want a rev limiter that low. You wouldn’t want the car to be shifting each gear at 2500-3000 RPM.

rory
    Participant

Does this type of thing really exist? I’ve never had a rental car that had a 55 speed limiter or is it a fleet thing. I wouldn’t even be out of the parking lot before I was back at the counter telling them the car needed repaired.

cc

some of them even limit the volume on the radio to 40%…

Tenzo
    Participant

paktinat wrote >>
    after enough things are detected “wrong” and will go into “Limp” mode.

Yeah, I have the same problem with age.

TMI?

CooperGuy

Most all passenger cars have electronic speed limiters nowadays – the cutoff is usually programmed to match the maximum speed rating on the tire that was original installed on the car from the factory. Usually this is something like 110 or 120mph. (Super high performance cars with super high performance tires may go upwards of 200mph)

In most cases a “chip” or the entire ECU can be changed that modifies the maximum speed, up or down, and I would guess that this was done on this car for whatever reason. In some cases a vehicles existing computer can be modified with a hand held programmer that allows for setting certain parameters – It’s a 5 minute procedure. I have one for my truck which allows me to set different parameters for summer towing vs winter driving. It’s a long shot, but if this is the case and you could find out who reset the ECU, maybe they would be willing to reset it back to factory specs. (e.i. if it was a Hertz rental, maybe it could be taken to a Hertz shop for reprogramming) Otherwise it would likely require an ECU swap.

If the budget is tight and you want/need to go faster than 55mph, (no doubt you will at some point) there are cheap ways to completely override the electric speed limiter – but only if you are knowledgeable enough and have the tools/kahonnies to dive into the ECU and/or transmission.

Just curious though – what make and model is it?

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Is this Boots from the radio?

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

It’s a Dodge Intrepid. I’m probably not going to pursue it. I had been hoping there was some easy way to remove the speed limiter, but it doesn’t sound like that’s the case. I guess if it was easy to do, the current owners would have done it already.

CooperGuy

Porky wrote >>
    Is this Boots from the radio?

uh….. no!

Schoolboy
    Participant

what year is the intrepid?

with all used cars, you should take them to a mechanic for a quick exam, or “car friend”.

he/she should be able to quickly match up the ecu with the ecu that the car should have. if it is different, you will need to get a new one, if it’s the same ecu then they likely changed the speed settings with a hand held device.

it’s not an issue i would personally be afraid of if the car really is a great deal

groundrules
    Participant

dodge intrepid- now i understand why it someone didn’t want it going too fast ;)

CooperGuy

Thinking about it, I still can’t imagine why anyone would regulate a passenger car to 55 mph – even a rental car company. It sounds more like there may be something wrong with the car that the current owner is trying to dump the car. You might be wise to walk away.

But then again, like GR’s point, it is a Dodge Intrepid….

cc

fyi – speed limiter is set to 114mph on standard intrepids

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/showthread.php?s=cdd5aec2ff1fd71dda21f75b58a35ee9&t=158335

quote from that thread of intrepid enthusiasts:

“Lol the fastest i have had mine is 85. I baby it for some reason.”

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: