Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Strange Car Issue

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Strange Car Issue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I’m been shopping for cars in the very shallow end of the budget pool, and I recently came across a listing for a car that sounded relatively young and low mileage for its cost.

When I spoke to the couple that owns it, they said they were listing it under book because it had a speed regulator installed on in that limited the speed to 55 mph. They had owned the car for several years, but had been unable to find anyone who could remove the regulator.

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? I did some searching on the internet, and couldn’t find anything.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

how are you even still considering buying such a thing?

SusanB
    Participant

Chris, it was probably once a rental. Google speed governor. U-Haul sets theirs at 67mph.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

SusanB wrote >>
    Chris, it was probably once a rental. Google speed governor. U-Haul sets theirs at 67mph.

Thanks Susan, I think you are right, it was a rental car at some point in the past. I still haven’t been able to find any info on if the governor can be disabled, or the top speed changed, however. You would think there would be more info about this available.

cc

Chris, you probably don’t want to buy an ex-rental. They generally are not treated very well by the people who rent them. It may have low mileage, but it may have lots of wear. Some people pay extra for the insurance and then want to get their money’s worth.

Flashbacks of being driven full speed over railroad tracks by a friend who loved to exclaim ‘it’s a rental’.

cc

If your heart is into this, also google ‘speed limiter’. One of the popular ones for rental companies is the ‘mykey’ for Ford’s. From the factory a spare admin key is packed with the spare tire. There are other brands for other cars.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/national/1143383-ford-mykey-deactivation.html

bob.os
    Participant

cc wrote >>
    Flashbacks of being driven full speed over railroad tracks by a friend who loved to exclaim ‘it’s a rental’.

The line I’ve used is “nothing parties like a rental!”

That said, we own a very nice ex-rental 8-passenger Toyota Sienna that has been no trouble at all. The 8-passenger configuration pretty much only available from rental fleets on the pre-depreciated market.

Removing the speed limiter sounds like a potentially time and money intensive (replacing the ECU?) project, but if you can factor that into the purchase price and are willing to do the work, it may work in your favor.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Rockmastermike wrote >>

+1

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>

Rockmastermike wrote >>

+1

Do you guys really want me to spell it out? I don’t have much money, and I’m looking for a bargain. If it makes you feel better, my wife also thinks I’m crazy for considering such a thing.

But hey, I really don’t drive fast anyway…. :o

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I get not having much money for a car, I’m in the broke boat as well.

I just think the “regulator” is a major red flag and something I would personally avoid at any cost.

bababoohi

What is the year, make, model? Have YOU talked to a mechanic? Maybe the owners called one place and that’s it.
    I would call Budget or Avis, surely they don’t leave the 55mph speed limiter on all their cars when they sell them, so they have to know how to remove them or at lease point you in the right direction. I’ve never even heard of using a speed governor on anything besides large commercial vehicles like semis and busses.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

ChrisSunami wrote >>

Snarf wrote >>

Rockmastermike wrote >>

+1

Do you guys really want me to spell it out? I don’t have much money, and I’m looking for a bargain. If it makes you feel better, my wife also thinks I’m crazy for considering such a thing.
    But hey, I really don’t drive fast anyway…. :o

I’m sure there are other cheap cars that will be less of a rip-off. As others pointed out, if it’s a rental it’s likely been badly abused.

Also, I do not believe driving 55 on roads where the speed limit is 65 is at all in any way a safe activity so you WILL need to remove that thing. If that costs you money it’s no longer a bargain.

bababoohi

Also, how much “below book value” is it? Just because it’s below book value doesn’t make it a good deal. How much less is it than the same vehicle without the governor?

paktinat

Are you sure it’s a speed limiter and not a rev limiter?

Some cars will not let the engine rev over a certain RPM after enough things are detected “wrong” and will go into “Limp” mode to allow the car to limp to a service center.

GW_Justice
    Participant

The hard part of removing a speed limiter will be finding the info on removing it. I would guess the rental company was supposed to have removed it before the sale, but didn’t. They now don’t want to tell anyone how to remove the limiter, because it would expose the secret to anyone who wants to do it to a current rental.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: