Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ward System for Columbus City Council - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Ward System for Columbus City Council – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

NEOBuckeye said:
    Sounds like a real winning strategy.

Sometime you just have to trust your gut, go with your own experience, and listen to your inner common sense.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

MRipley said:
    Correct me if I’m wrong, the ward officials would represent their community with an official voting posistion on council/city issues vs the current system where a volunteer community commission can offer their opinion, but has no official vote on the subject.

How many volunteer community commissioners actually mirror the positions of current City Council members?

MRipley
    Participant

NEOBuckeye said:
    Okaaaay. So let’s gamble with the future of a city and region, totally naive and uninformed about the potential consequences.

??? How is increasing the number of council members and assuring that they are representative of all areas of the city “gambling with the future?”

You must be worried that citizens will gain more influence and the self-interested, rich power brokers won’t have as much say so in the operation of the city.

MRipley
    Participant

NEOBuckeye said:
    How many volunteer community commissioners actually mirror the positions of current City Council members?

LOL. The question should be how many City Council members mirror the position of the community?

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

Walker said:
    Sometime you just have to trust your gut, go with your own experience, and listen to your inner common sense.

Meh. I’m not much of a gambler.

I’m actually not necessarily against wards or districts per se. So far, however, I fail to see how this would result in even a very modest improvement for governance in Columbus. I haven’t seen or heard anything here to convince me otherwise.

Correct me if I am wrong. What I hear from the pro wards/district side: An All At-Large City Council is corrupt/anti-democratic/limits choice & voice/etc.

And Wards/Districts will somehow be a panacea for this? Have you spent any amount of time in other cities?

How will you be certain that this wouldn’t simply result in a reshuffling of the deck with most, if not all, of the same cards (players) still in play?

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

MRipley said:
    ??? How is increasing the number of council members and assuring that they are representative of all areas of the city “gambling with the future?”

You must be worried that citizens will gain more influence and the self-interested, rich power brokers won’t have as much say so in the operation of the city.

Oh please. I’m being a skeptic.

But since you brought up another key item: What makes you so certain that the self-interested, rich power brokers won’t have as much say so in the operation of the city under a Ward/District system of government?

cheap

Walker said:

or you could just sit and watch this city become a whore for the few,while the many sit and watch their neighborhoods go to shit.

NEOBuckeye said:
    Oh please. I’m being a skeptic.

But since you brought up another key item: What makes you so certain that the self-interested, rich power brokers won’t have as much say so in the operation of the city under a Ward/District system of government?

the ward rep from the west side will be an FBI informant.lol

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

cheap said:
    or you could just sit and watch this city become a whore for the few,while the many sit and watch their neighborhoods go to shit.

cheap said:
    i have no idea what changes can become of a ward system

So what happens if a ward system makes things even worse for you?

cheap

how can it be worse than what you have now?

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

cheap said:

I’ve got news for you: The problem as you describe it is everywhere, from New York City and Chicago on down to the smallest of villages and townships in the boondocks. And everywhere else in between.

A Ward/District system as presented and argued for here will not stop the whoring for the few, nor will it stop neighborhoods from going to shit.

An area-based councilperson is not going to be some magical savior who is going to make all of these things cease and go away.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

cheap said:
    how can it be worse than what you have now?

Things can always be worse.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker said:

Exactly.

cheap

NEOBuckeye said:
    I’ve got news for you: The problem as you describe it is everywhere, from New York City and Chicago on down to the smallest of villages and townships in the boondocks. And everywhere else in between.

A Ward/District system as presented and argued for here will not stop the whoring for the few, nor will it stop neighborhoods from going to shit.

An area-based councilperson is not going to be some magical savior who is going to make all of these things cease and go away.

you are correct.the only people that can change anything are the people themselves.

i understand where you’re coming from.it’s a scary proposition,for sure.

let the democratic process proceed,and we will see how the citizens of this city feel at the voting booth.

MRipley
    Participant

Walker said:

A great reason to maintain the status quo?

edit: or better yet to quote you from the Storms thread;

“Might as well continue to preach that we just settle for whatever we’ve currently got.”

cheap said:
    you are correct.the only people that can change anything are the people themselves.

i understand where you’re coming from.it’s a scary proposition,for sure.

let the democratic process proceed,and we will see how the citizens of this city feel at the voting booth.

Nicely stated. Hard to argue with that.

NDaEast
    Participant

Fate of wards plan due any day
    By Lucas Sullivan
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Sunday July 1, 2012 10:18 AM

The proposal to add ward representatives to the Columbus City Council would alter the political landscape, but its impact on the city’s future progress is unclear.

This week, council members will learn if the Columbus Coalition for Responsive Government collected enough valid signatures to put the issue on the November ballot. The coalition said it collected about 31,000 signatures and needs at least 19,164 validated by the Franklin County Board of Elections.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/07/01/fate-of-wards-plan-due-any-day.html

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 147 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!