Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ward System for Columbus City Council - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Ward System for Columbus City Council – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #473232

    NDaEast
    Participant

    gramarye said:
    This doesn’t do much to help your case. If “every other city” is also declining, and most other cities already have wards or districts, then it appears that neither district-based nor at-large-based councils have advantages over the other.”

    I was simply rebutting a presumption that At Large is causal to economic development – we’re absolutely not making an argument that a move to Districts is for economic development purposes.

    The District push is about good governance and a representative democracy. It is about finding a better way to represent citizens and their varied interests. It is about making sure all voices can be heard, and more than one dominating perspective is considered and other — perhaps much better — paths may be followed.

    I’ve got to apologize to NEOBUCKEYE, though — I was probably a little more snippy than I needed to be: “dude, my bad.” I get a little short when people twist themselves into knots to try to defend a system as backwards as ours currently is. But I shouldn’t have been so snippy.

    #473233

    cheap
    Member

    NDaEast said:

    Please re-read the comments from Roberta Garber (above) about the fact that Columbus’s central city has steadily been losing population since 1970 — just like every other city. We’ve got to stop drinking the Kool-Aid, stop having a reflexive defense of the status quo — just because we’re used to it, and open our eyes to what is going on around us.

    you’re preaching to a population that is more interested in restaurants,bars & bike racks,than proper political representation for all the citizens of Columbus.

    don’t let that get you down,just keep stating the facts.

    #473234

    NDaEast
    Participant

    Walker said:
    Does the ward system proposal also change the city charter’s provision about the citizens’ amendment requirements that you mentioned?

    No … that’s something we learned as we got into this. We’re going to talk to council about that, though – those are the folk we hired to do the job, and we need to make sure they maintain a system that is accessible to the people.

    Unfortunately, to date Council has been concerned with charter amendments that keep the people away from their decisions like Issue 12 — Council’s 2010 ballot proposal that amended the charter so they could official keep meeting in private to discuss council appointments.

    It only takes a 2/3rd vote of Council to put a charter change amendment on the ballot, which we think they should do in this case. If they can sponsor legislation to amend the charter to serve their narrow interests to maintain secrecy in the appointment process, they can certainly sponsor legislation to let the people vote on the best form of government going forward. You’ll hear more about that over the next couple weeks.

    #473235

    News
    Participant

    Over the TOP: Can’t council even pretend to give a shit?
    Posted on June 28, 2012
    by Jeff Long

    I was going to have some fun at Columbus City Council’s expense this week anyway. But then a story about council going to a ward system dropped into my lap Tuesday morning.

    READ MORE: http://www.theotherpaper.com/blogs/over_the_top/article_2fdf30f6-c166-11e1-a336-0019bb2963f4.html

    #473236
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    cheap said:
    you’re preaching to a population that is more interested in restaurants,bars & bike racks,than proper political representation for all the citizens of Columbus.

    don’t let that get you down,just keep stating the facts.

    False. Your own opinion is your own, and that’s about it. You have absolutely no say in what other people’s opinions are or aren’t around here, so keep your petty personal squabbling to yourself.

    #473237

    NDaEast
    Participant

    News said:
    Over the TOP: Can’t council even pretend to give a shit?
    Posted on June 28, 2012
    by Jeff Long

    I was going to have some fun at Columbus City Council’s expense this week anyway. But then a story about council going to a ward system dropped into my lap Tuesday morning.

    READ MORE: http://www.theotherpaper.com/blogs/over_the_top/article_2fdf30f6-c166-11e1-a336-0019bb2963f4.html

    Ouch … and I was kicking myself for snark …

    I would like to defend the councilmembers, though. They are all nice, good, and intelligent people who I would be delighted to have as neighbors. They are, however, all wrapped up in a bad system that would probably create a sense of entitlement and aristocracy in anybody.

    And as citizens, I would say that we can’t get all wrapped up in feeling like serfs and peasants: we’ve all got to remember that this is OUR government, and we loan the seats of power to people for a period of time to act on OUR behalf. We had a boatload of signatures from people who want to vote on their form of government, and I would hope that Council would not close the door on those 28-31K people who signed petition simply wanting a vote.

    #473238

    cheap
    Member

    what a pile of bullshit

    Greg Schultz, chairman of the local Democratic Party, sent a letter to Central Committee members in May saying that he was “worried about the makeup of some of the members of the group and their overtly partisan interests” and “about the negative effects to our city if the proposed changes were to go into effect.”

    He went on to express concern that “this effort will have the opposite effect that some of its proponents want.”

    “In conclusion, I oppose this effort because I believe it is partly being driven with very partisan efforts to dilute the political strength of Democrats, in a city that votes overwhelmingly and consistently for Democrats,” Schultz wrote, adding that it has been defeated at the ballot box twice in 40 years. All current council members are Democrats, as is Mayor Michael B. Coleman.

    #473239

    NDaEast
    Participant

    cheap said:
    what a pile of bullshit

    Greg Schultz, chairman of the local Democratic Party, sent a letter to Central Committee members in May saying that he was “worried about the makeup of some of the members of the group and their overtly partisan interests” and “about the negative effects to our city if the proposed changes were to go into effect.”

    “In conclusion, I oppose this effort because I believe it is partly being driven with very partisan efforts to dilute the political strength of Democrats, in a city that votes overwhelmingly and consistently for Democrats,” Schultz wrote, adding that it has been defeated at the ballot box twice in 40 years. All current council members are Democrats, as is Mayor Michael B. Coleman.

    Agreed. The distressing part is that Greg is saying he doesn’t even want the citizens to have the right to vote on this. And isn’t it kind of funny to read a quote from the head of the dominant local political party complain about partisans?!? Even funnier when you look at the facts and see of the 5 petitioners who filed the proposed amendment, 3 are Dems, 1 is Green, and 1 is Independent.

    And when the Columbus electorate is 3.5 Dems to every 1 Republican (and Dems have held a mjority on Council since the 1960s, and have had sole control for ten years, and the Franklin County Commissioners has also swung to 100% Dem in the past few years), can anybody really form their lips to suggest that a change in the form of representation will cause a change in the electorates’ political leanings????

    All these arguments against Districts fall apart when held up to light. This isn’t about the left, right, or center: this is simply about letting the citizens cast a vote on whether or not to change how we are represented in Council. What can be more American than taking a vote on an issue? Why the fight about whether this even gets on the ballot? (Let’s heed the wishes of some 28,000+ people who want to have a chance to vote on it, then we can have further discussion about the merits.)

    #473240

    cheap
    Member

    at first,i thought this would be a recipe for more corruption in this town.

    but after seeing the fiasco with that idiot in the Clintonville area commission,and the resistance put up by the status quo,including the neighborhood commissions,i think this should be considerred seriously by voters.

    area commissions are useless.they serve a few in their respective areas,that’s it.

    the city council & county commission are a farce.

    they have made themselves slaves to devellopers & the owners of the Dispatch,while basically telling the rest of this city to fuck off.

    #473241

    NEOBuckeye
    Participant

    cheap said:
    at first,i thought this would be a recipe for more corruption in this town.

    but after seeing the fiasco with that idiot in the Clintonville area commission,and the resistance put up by the status quo,including the neighborhood commissions,i think this should be considerred seriously by voters.

    area commissions are useless.they serve a few in their respective areas,that’s it.

    the city council & county commission are a farce.

    they have made themselves slaves to devellopers & the owners of the Dispatch,while basically telling the rest of this city to fuck off.

    I find it curious that you and NDaEast believe that Wards will somehow magically change this. But by all means, do carry on.

    #473242

    cheap
    Member

    nothing curious about it

    the fact that the status quo is fighting it tells me it is a change that is needed.

    the govt. leadership in this town is stagnant.

    #473243

    NEOBuckeye
    Participant

    cheap said:
    nothing curious about it

    the fact that the status quo is fighting it tells me it is a change that is needed.

    the govt. leadership in this town is stagnant.

    And a ward/district system will change this in what way?

    #473244

    cheap
    Member

    your idea of a ward system is biased,because you’re from the armpit of Ohio,the bastion of age old corruption.

    i have no idea what changes can become of a ward system

    the great thing about a challenge is not knowing the outcome.

    if you fail to accept the challenge,the outcome is obvious.

    #473245

    MRipley
    Participant

    NEOBuckeye said:
    And a ward/district system will change this in what way?

    Correct me if I’m wrong, the ward officials would represent their community with an official voting posistion on council/city issues vs the current system where a volunteer community commission can offer their opinion, but has no official vote on the subject.

    One thing that we know for sure is that there is currently no accountability on city council. The way the Nationwide Arena scam was handled proves that.

    #473246

    NEOBuckeye
    Participant

    cheap said:
    i have no idea what changes can become of a ward system

    the great thing about a challenge is not knowing the outcome.

    if you fail to accept the challenge,the outcome is obvious.

    Okaaaay. So let’s gamble with the future of a city and region, totally naive and uninformed about the potential consequences.

    Sounds like a real winning strategy.

    Pollyanna much?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 147 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE