Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Stigma of not having a car in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Stigma of not having a car in Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

cbus11

I have a male friend in his later 20’s who is moving to Columbus from NYC. He does not have a car and told me he is not getting one. I understand that he will save money and maybe help the environment. His basic motivation though is not having to deal with a car.

I am sure you can get by fine without having a car if you plan a little. What I am more wondering about is the social stigma. He is single and I think most people in his dating pool would be turned off by this. In NYC not having a car is fairly normal, but Columbus is a different animal. Since a lot of Cu’ers seem to be pretty social I am wondering what are your thoughts?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I would think taking a date out on the COTA would be fairly stigmatizing.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

A car would probably make dating easier, but maybe he will find a girl with a car and won’t need to worry about it. Sure, as a girl, it is nice to be picked up, but you can always meet out somewhere and if things get serious, offer some money for car sharing.

I vote no big deal. And if he lives close to plenty of fun date spots, that’s fine. I guess he could always pick up a date with a cab too.

rus
    rus
    Participant

I’ve known three people who’ve gone without cars here, two women and one man. None of the three have had problems getting dates… at least not transportation related problems.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

or, cbus11, prepare to have your car borrowed! :)

sixby9is42

Anne wrote >>

Yeah. If he plans to stick around for at least a few years, I think he’s going to cave in eventually. I don’t think he realizes yet how much different the transit situation is in Columbus compared to NYC.

cbus11

Anne wrote >>

Lol

I guess in general, I am putting too much stock in the social necessity of a car.

thanks

As far as his knowledge of Columbus, it revolves around a weekend hanging out in the SN (gallery hop), Campus (had to show him the Shoe), Arena District and jaunt up to Easton. We walked most of it.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I don’t think there’s much of a “stigma” per se. Some people might think it’s weird, others might think it’s cool. Most will probably be indifferent.

AmyArt21
    Participant

My boyfriend doesn’t have a car. He takes the bus and walks and I don’t mind picking him up and being the one to drive because he’s super cute and generally awesome :)

shmack

i didn’t have a car for two years and relied heavily on COTA. having moved from nyc, it was really nice not having to worry about finding a DD or moving my car, or anything related to cars and drinking. however, even living in the arena district, downtown, and short north areas, i still much prefer the option of having a car at my disposal whenever i needed. i wonder if there are new zipcar type programs that your friend might make use of?

groundrules
    Participant

tell him to get a scooter. instant friends.

Brant
    Participant

How not having a car became Hollywood shorthand for loser.

http://www.slate.com/id/2262214/

cyclist II
    Participant

What is he from the 1950’s?

Car-less in Columbus for 7 years. Best decision I ever made. No stigma.

cyclist II
    Participant

cars are glass and metal deathtraps

berdawn

cyclist II wrote >>
    cars are glass and metal deathtraps

bodies are skin and water deathtraps

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: