Our City Online

Messageboard - Film

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Film [SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens

This topic contains 183 replies, has 48 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 184 total)
  • Author

RBloodworth
    Participant

Seeing very mixed reviews varying from “Absolutely love it!” to “Abrams is a traitor!”. They seem to be leaning toward “It’s pretty good, not awesome, but generally a satisfying new chapter for the fans.”

I think that critical consensus seems to be decidedly along the latter line of thinking. Fans, on the other hand, are much more divided in their reaction. I think those that hate this movie seem to fall into a number of different camps, the most prominent of which being extreme Lucas loyalists (yes, there still are some), contrarians/trolls who hate everything popular (see: White, Armond), and the same MRA-type crowd that bitched to no end about “those damn feminazis” ruining Mad Max (Daisy Ridley’s character really makes their blood boil- seriously).

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Theory time.

Theory review time! ;)

That has to be Luke with the metal hand on R-2. They were always kind of buddies anyway.

Yep, although it was via a flashback through the lightsaber acid trip scene for Rey.

I’m guessing that Rey has the force through lineage…

Not revealed (yet) but could still be true. My guess at this point is that she’s the daughter of Luke + someone else, although I think abandoning a child alone in a desert is a bit harsh (can’t leave her with caregivers?).

…and Finn has obtained it randomly.

Not yet, if he does at all. I’d prefer to see him force-free for the long term. Not everyone needs it.

I also think Supreme leader Snook and Kylo Ren have it.

Kylo for sure. We haven’t seen Snook for real yet, although until he was revealed to be a hologram, I really wished he was that gigantic. Going to probably be yoda-size IRL.

Rey is the lost daughter of Han and Leia.

Nope, that’s Kylo. But she’d be a niece of theirs if she turns out to be Luke’s daughter.

I think after the events of ROTJ, Luke exiled himself in shame of just killing his father. Plus, people probably found out about the ways of the force and its potential to be used as a destructive force, which led to him being shunned from society.

He did exile himself, but for slightly different reasons. Pretty close.

That group shot with Kylo Ren – that’s the Knights of Ren.

Yep.

Han Solo dies.

DING DING DING! ;)

That is Rey crying uncontrollably over him.

Nope! That was Fin.

She probably grew more and more attached to him – like a mentor – increasingly throughout the movie to the point where she cared for him.

True on this point.

Luke will find Finn and teach him the ways of the force.

Nope. But replace Finn with Rey, and this is likely for Episode XIII.

I bet he saves Finn from that one on one with Kylo Ren.

Funny. Luke ended up getting 3 minutes of screen time and no lines. Ha!

He is totally out of him element.

Yes, Finn is. Constantly. Which is great. ;)

Finn and Poe know each other.

Yup!

I think Finn was in the room with them watching as a Stormtrooper and that probably changed his view on things.

Not exactly, but he did change his view after witnessing some bad stuff going down.

He hotwires a TIE fighter, blows shit to hell, gets shot down in his escape and finds his way to Rey.

Close! With the help of Poe!

When Poe pats Finn on the back you can tell Finn knows him by the way he is looking at him. It’s like he was remembering a horrible incident.

Sorta. They’re remembering their teamwork. ;)

Kylo Ren’s mission. Snook has taught him the ways of the dark side. He has become obsessed with his new idol, Vader, and now plans on carrying out his plan to eradicate the Jedi and have the Sith rule the galaxy.

True on everything, except the Sith are no more.

I think he is a little ignorant about it and is a pawn for Snook. I also think he will come to realize it by the end.

True, but that doesn’t stop him from marching forward with the dark side.

The temple is some sort of sanctuary for those who believe in the force and this is probably the same temple we see decimated in the battle scene.

Nope. It was a bar! ;) Ha!

The final act. This takes place on/at the Starkiller base. This is where Han dies. You can see the snow falling in the background.

True, although Han died indoors. No O-Ren Ishii scene for him.

Heck of an ending if you ask me.

Agreed.

Walker, you are the BEST. Along with one of my progeny, I just took notes on all your disclosures. We have to know what we’re getting into.

Everyone else in our movie group strongly prefers to be blissfully unaware. Fools. Who wants to form an emotional attachment to a DeadManWalking? There’s not enough waterproof mascara in the world . . .

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Walker, you are the BEST. Along with one of my progeny, I just took notes on all your disclosures. We have to know what we’re getting into.

Doh! That’s why I added the big [SPOILERS] to the thread title. :P

Hope you guys enjoy regardless! ;)

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Overall a great new beginning to the Star Wars mythos. And yes, J.J. had a lot to live up to.

Couple of issues though:
    – As soon as Han walked out on that walkway, i knew he was a dead man. Why didnt’ it have railing? Come to think of it, why is that walkway even there.
    – Captain Phasma was drastically underutilized. She was marketed so heavily too.
    – The call backs to the original trilogy were almost too much.
    – I would have like a slower pace, more dialogue. But, I get it. They are also trying to appeal to a new generation who have the attention span of a gnat.
    – Rey sure did learn how to use a light saber pretty quickly.
    – You can tell Carry Fisher hasn’t acted for a while.
    – Snoke should have been makeup instead of CGI. Maz Conada? looke like a cartoon character or worse, something from the prequels. Those CGI tentacle monsters were horrible and probably shouldn’t have been in the movie.
    – If the Starkiller weapon gets its power from the sun, then what happens when the sun is gone. It sucked up that entire sun for one shot. I can’t imagine the base can move light years away to the next sun.

Some of this is just nitpicking. I did love the movie, although I really think it could have been two and a half or three hours and nobody would have cared. Some of the characters just needed more time to develop.

I give an 8 out of 10. I like it so much i’m seeing it again today.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

As soon as Han walked out on that walkway, i knew he was a dead man. Why didnt’ it have railing? Come to think of it, why is that walkway even there.

Heh. That walkway was for dramatic family showdowns only. ;)

The call backs to the original trilogy were almost too much.

I liked the callbacks, and didn’t even mind that the story followed many of the same beats as A New Hope. The “hero’s epic quest” story formula has been around for thousands of years and continues to be retold with all kinds of characters in all kinds of stories. If it ain’t broke…

Rey sure did learn how to use a light saber pretty quickly.

She did seem to be pretty proficient with her bo staff skills. The newfound light sabre skills seemed to have more to do with the force awakening insider her, rather than a real knowledge and understanding. My assumption is that she’ll be training with Luke in XIII, just like Luke went to train with Yoda in V.

You can tell Carry Fisher hasn’t acted for a while.

I haven’t watched any interviews with her recently, but she really seemed to be talking out of the side of her mouth the whole time. Not sure if that’s the norm for her, or what the deal was. A little distracting.

If the Starkiller weapon gets its power from the sun, then what happens when the sun is gone. It sucked up that entire sun for one shot. I can’t imagine the base can move light years away to the next sun.

Heh. That thought crossed my mind, although I assumed that sucking all of the energy out of a sun would turn it into a black hole. Not something you want to be close to. Unless you’re Matthew McConaughey.

Wait. You haven’t seen the Carrie & Gary interview? I fell in LOVE with her (Carrie, not the princess) watching it. I want to be Carrie Fisher when I grow up.

(Although Kipp thinks her demeanor indicates she’s heavily medicated.)

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/12/06/carrie_fisher_and_dog_gary_interview_on_good_morning_america_watch_them.html

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Overall I thought it was good.

I really wish they would have cast someone to play Snoke instead of having another completely CGI character though.

Not that Tom
    Not that Tom
    Participant

Strengths

-fun action, fresh and witty dialogue (the Abrams touch)
    -sets up a lot of new characters/ideas – a good base for the series to jump from
    -the scenes focusing on the new characters – esp loved Ridley, Kylo Ren, BB8, and Maz
    -settings and details were beautiful – all the new aliens esp

Weaknesses

-plot – basically a remake of A New Hope
    -story – a tad bit action-heavy over dialogue. they’re always running – like constantly – from one planet to the next. Stop for a breather, guys. and what’s the deal with the First Order vs the Republic, again?
    -the scenes focusing on the old characters – notably, the reuniting of Leia and Han – the acting was quite wooden, the writing pretty banal (although I know the scenes had to be there). Overall, Harrison Ford was better than I expected him to be – but that said, I expected pretty bad.
    -a couple headscratching plot sequences that hopefully get justified in sequels – e.g. R2D2 turning on at just the right time; a bit too easy for the good guys to escape confinement multiple times (Poe, Han and Chewie, Rey, Finn)

Overall

The strengths definitely outweigh the weaknesses. I’m a big sci fi/fantasy movie fan, so compared to other innovative concepts, I know it’s a bit unrealistic to expect Star Wars to blow your mind in the story (concept) department. It’s a fun action movie with some good new characters, basically, and it sets up the series nicely for the sequels. Looking forward to seeing Episode 7 again this week.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Had a blast watching it this weekend. Totally a fan flick and people complain that it’s just a retelling of 4-6 but I’m totally fine with that to establish this new era of Star Wars flicks. They needed a fresh start and Disney definitely played it safe. But that’s not a bad thing.

I loved the pace of the movie, the visuals, and the no name actors starring in their respected roles.

Only tiny gripes that I noticed was them using some beep, explosion, or anything off screen to interrupt the dialog to further the story. It’s a story telling mechanic they went to waaaay to often in this film. But again, such a minor gripe.

Can’t wait for the next episode. The simplest review is just saying that it’s a fun movie even clocking in at 2 1/2 hours. It never felt sluggish.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I honestly didn’t realize it was that long.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Due to vivid memories of the prequel debacle, I went into the movie with very modest expectations –and was basically blown away. Although a lot of it was more than familiar, that read to me as loving tribute more than ripoff.

I think the main people who are disappointed are the ultra-fans, those who have been obsessing over this movie ever since it was first announced.

For everyone else, it’s a wildly entertaining movie set in a beloved universe, with a story that’s equal parts familiar and new. It honors the legacy.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I saw A New Hope over 20 times when it was released…and this movie holds all that magic just as well. I loved everything about it (and so did my nephew). I also love that they at least paid homage to existing lore, Kylo Ren is basically Jacen Solo and Snoke is pretty Thawn-ish. I’d also point out, Jacen Solo had a sister who stayed with the light side…so there’s that.

I actually think Snoke is going to turn out to be Darth Plagueis and Rey will be the daughter (much younger than Kylo) of Han and Leia. After Kylo slaughtered the new jedi (which she clearly witnessed, as seen in flashback), they hid her on Jakku.

I can’t wait till Ep. 8 and am only disappointed that Abrams isn’t at the helm again. I like Rian Johnson, thought Brick was pretty amazing, but I felt like Abrams totally got it.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I can’t wait till Ep. 8 and am only disappointed that Abrams isn’t at the helm again. I like Rian Johnson, thought Brick was pretty amazing, but I felt like Abrams totally got it.

One word… Ozymandias

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

How the Hell do you guys have the cranium time to spend on stuff like this?

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 184 total)

The forum ‘Film’ is closed to new topics and replies.