Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Star Lanes bowling alley coming to Polaris

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Star Lanes bowling alley coming to Polaris

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I was driving by Polaris the other day and noticed a “coming soon” sign that indicated that a Star Lanes is opening.

I’m a big fan of bowling, and have participated in many of CD101’s bowling leagues. I’m actually pretty excited about this, because a lot of the new bowling alley’s being built today are much cooler than the older ones that are still around, even the ones that have undergone renovations.

I couldn’t find many details out there, but this popped up on a Google search.

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2012/12/21/star-lanes-bowling-alley-taking-over.html?page=all

Heres a link to the website for their newer location in Cincinnati: http://www.starlaneslevee.com

Image gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/starlaneslevee/sets/72157625856026758/show/

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Here’s a bunch of info from a press release:
    Polaris will soon have a new addition to their retail destination in Spring 2013 with the opening of Star Lanes located next to the Polaris Fashion Place Mall and amongst other popular retail and dining. Star Lanes Polaris is a boutique bowling experience—a combination of bowling with high-end technology and amenities to create an upscale entertainment atmosphere. The venue will offer state-of-the-art lanes, billiards, full menu and bar, game room, HD projection LCD screens and more. Moving into the former Circuit City space and occupying 35,000 square feet of real estate, Star Lanes Polaris will be the first of its kind to open in Greater Columbus.

Patrons will have their pick of culinary favorites at “The Point” a full service restaurant located within Star Lanes serving gourmet sliders, flavorful tacos, artisan salads and fresh cut Belgian fries. The 35 ft bar will offer specialty cocktails to appease any Mixologist.

Star Lanes is ideal for business and social events, including corporate team building, business meetings, birthdays, bachelorette parties, holiday events, and children’s parties in any number of their conference or party rooms. In addition, Star Lanes offers party packages, custom event menus, lane rentals, private lounges and full venue buyouts.

Locally owned by the Mechling family Mike, Doug, and Jeff -this father and sons team conceptualized the design and construction alongside industry leading consultants to appeal to the local patrons “We are so pleased with this opportunity to enter into the Polaris area. The market continues to expand which shows that the people of Columbus are constantly evolving in entertainment, taste and culture,” said Mike Mechling.

Star Lanes has retained Lucky Strike Entertainment to manage its day to day operations. The partnership is a perfect fit as Lucky Strike is the leading brand in its category.

“We couldn’t be more pleased with this partnership to work with the Mechling Family. It is their trust in us, along with the success of Lucky Strike that has brought together our collaboration. This addition will generate job growth in the Polaris community as we actively seek local talent for positions,” said Founder and CEO of Lucky Strike Entertainment, Steven Foster.

The opening of Star Lanes Polaris is the twenty-second venue for the decade old Lucky Strike Entertainment, and the company’s first in the Buckeye State. Since opening “America’s first bowling lounge” in the heart of Hollywood in 2003, Lucky Strike has become a national phenomenon with its most recent opening in San Francisco, CA.

Star Lanes and The Point are located at 8655 Lyra Dr., Columbus, Oh 43240. For more information about employment inquires please contact [email protected].

DavidF
    Participant

This is next to my old store @ Polaris. I know we are excited just to have a tenant in the old Circuit City space. It’ll be nice to not have a giant empty parking lot making people think we aren’t open.

Polaris is a community?

larinachen

Hello all! Thank you for your excitement and inquiries about Star Lanes Polaris’ opening. We’re anticipating our opening date to be early April so if you have any questions please let us know, we’d be happy to answer them for you!

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I live right down the street and can’t wait. I’m curious how many lanes the Polaris location will have. I know Star Lanes typically have about 12 or so, on the smaller side.

I’ve heard 20 and 6 reserved for private parties.

larinachen

Hi Guys, Star Lanes is opening this week on April 5th! See you there!

Matt Boyd
    Participant

We just drove by this the other day. Can’t wait to check it out. If they have a good selection of craft beer, I’ve got a group of work friends that would love this.

RonDo
    RonDo
    Participant

Went there last night. It looks nice but generally not impressed. Has far too many fundamental flaws in my eyes to last very long.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

RonDo said:
    Went there last night. It looks nice but generally not impressed. Has far too many fundamental flaws in my eyes to last very long.

Details??

RonDo
    RonDo
    Participant

Well, let’s take the lanes in general and then also tying into the general area (Polaris) as well. Also, do note this is just personal opinion and that is all it is. Take it for what it is worth.

For background, I got there around 9pm after some eats at The Old Mohawk. I wasn’t planning on bowling, per se, but to get a look around at the whole establishment, to have a drink, and to get a feel for what the place is like and anticipating it being very busy.

When I arrived to park, I was anticipating a Black Friday at Circuit City-esque parking situation. It was pretty busy but it wasn’t full at all, which isn’t what I expected for opening night. Ok, parking was easy..so that was a relief in some regard.

As I walked up to the entrance, I happened to notice a sign expecting some degree of attire expected. This I anticipated to some degree but I’m not sure how far they will enforce it. I am just guessing they don’t people walking in with their Walmart’s best (you know what I mean here). They opened the doors for me and the greeting was warm. Thumbs up but I don’t imagine this is an all day thing. Probably only for the more adult hours I surmise.

When you immediately walk in, you are greeted by a entertainment venue that, at the time, was very wide open..plenty of place to stretch your arms. Very wide open entrance…surprisingly wide. I’m not sure if they expect that area to be full of people waiting around or drinking, but man. There is plenty of floor space right there not making any $.

To the right after the entrance is the gameroom and ticket redemption area. I saw gamecard stations much like you’d expect with D&B and KDB. Looking at the games, there are many large cabinet games…again, much alike D&B and KDB. No pinball. Also, I heard mention of retro games but only if it was a large cab style and few at that. As for how many people were in there, barely more than a handful..pretty dead. Almost looks like a place for people to kill the time while perhaps waiting to bowl.

To the immediate left of the entrance is the eating area and bar. If I recall correctly, there were maybe 10 total flat panels for sports (et cetera), with one of them all by it’s lonesome to the south of the area. Most were at the bar. The bar itself is not bad but it isn’t too large. Thinking back, I think it was around 10-15 stools with a big pole in the middle marking the bend in the bar itself. It had maybe 15 taps at the back with two glass door fridges with bottles. The selection was a very safe selection of beers, not too adventuresome on craft. Goose Island, Great Lakes…I had a CBC IPA. If you are looking for a diverse selection of styles and names, better look elsewhere. The larger open area with tables is that, large as heck and while I was there, maybe 30% occupation. Further beyond this area, it looks like the VIP area dwells. One of the VIP garage doors was closed and one was open. Looked from a distance and it didn’t look active inside.

Taking a breath…

RonDo
    RonDo
    Participant

Now, the to the bowling area. I will say that it looks nice with plenty of places to sit behind the main bowling area (ball return, station). Each play area is adorned with couches and a table between them. The seating area and two lanes shares this U shaped, plush seating arrangement. Only 14 lanes, so it is not very big. Some of the seating sections were pretty packed with people and lots of bottles. From what I could tell, all seating areas had people…but the waiting list (which is show on flat panels in areas of the establishment…like the one as you are walking in) was lacking very many people waiting (1-3 names at various times). With more later..gotta go look at a house.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

This is some incredibly complex and detailed reporting.

All the directions and steps actually made me dizzy.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

Interesting location choice, opting to go with a generic strip mall storefront. Not sure it will be the best for the long haul if Star Lanes plans to stick around Columbus for awhile. The location in Newport, KY is actually incorporated into the Newport on the Levee mall, Greater Cincinnati’s approximation of Easton serving as both a retail and entertainment destination there. Maybe there wasn’t an option to do something similar at Polaris mall (exclusivity contract with Dave and Busters?)? I also wonder if this would have been a better fit for Easton? Can the concept survive as a stand-alone venue without the immediate benefit of synergy with other mall attractions?

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I’m sure they would’ve loved Easton, but I’m guessing there’s nowhere big enough to put in a bowling alley.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: