Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Sewing machine repair, or good source for a new one?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Sewing machine repair, or good source for a new one?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

alison

My trusty Kenmore basic seweing machine has died after 12 years of faithful pillows, curtains and other basic sewing assignments.

I took it to the Stitching Post last month, and they told me it has a busted gear and is unfixable. However, since they’re also closing all the SP stores in Ohio, I am a little doubtful about their level of enthusiasm.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a sewing machine repair place that might be up to the challenge? Or if the SP diagnosis is accurate, does anyone have a suggestions on where to look for a good basic sewing machine? I don’t need a 600 stitch, computerized, serger combo that can also sew asbestos fabric — just something that can handle a lot of simple sewing. and I’d like to spend under $120.

The ladies at SP and Joann’s both sneered a little when I said the later, but I’m hoping the folks here have some more budget friendly suggestions.

pixlfarmer

I tried selling an old antique one that’s been in my basement forever, and discovered that there’s a glut of them on Craigslist.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

You could try this place for repairs: http://www.redroosterquilts.com/
    My aunts recently took a broken singer there and got it fixed.

Tigertree

There is some russian dude in Clintonville that is supposed to be able to fix anything. I’ll try and get the name if someone here doesn’t have it. I would put the call out in the crafting circles, maybe someone is upgrading to something fancier…

redrover

There’s a guy located just north of Graceland who might be able to fix it. He took care of my Husqvarna a few months back (originally purchased at the Stitching Post) for a reasonable rate. He is next to Beth’s Creative Stitchery on High St:

5324 N High St
    Columbus, OH 43214
    PH: 888-5288

AnneD

I recently took my machine to Northland sewing center and they did an exceptional and quick job. It’s an old computerized machine and it had a gear issue, and it was fixed and cleaned for under $75. It’s on 161 between Karl and Cleveland.

Northland Sewing Center
    1955 E. Dublin-Granville Rd.
    888-1900

I would totally recommend looking at reconditioned machines through a sewing center if you need to replace yours – the places I have gone to have shown me good machines and reasonable prices, and never tried to oversell me on something fancier.

joev
    Participant

My wife has taken her machines Sew n Save in Westerville, mostly with good results: http://www.sewnsave.com/%5B/url%5D

alison

Thanks, folks!

I was told it had a “broken hook gear” and that replacement parts are no longer available, which haard to believe.

But I have a diagnosis, and thanks to y’all, I have some numbers to call.

And I really need to finish those curtains…

pixiecrinkle
    Participant

I know I’m late jumping on here, but let me give a second to Beth’s Creative Stitchery. I took my 15ish year old Bernette to be fixed a few weeks ago, and not only was the work done well, it was completed in half the time estimated.

pixiecrinkle
    Participant

I know I’m late jumping on here, but let me give a second to Beth’s Creative Stitchery. I took my 15ish year old Bernette to be fixed a few weeks ago, and not only was the work done well, it was completed in half the time estimated.

BrownsFan
    Participant

Tigertree said:
    There is some russian dude in Clintonville that is supposed to be able to fix anything. I’ll try and get the name if someone here doesn’t have it. I would put the call out in the crafting circles, maybe someone is upgrading to something fancier…

That Russian dude is Alex Sandler and he’s still doing his service at his home in Powell. He is the BEST in the business and you can reach him at 614-263-5507.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: