Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Sprint Network Reception in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sprint Network Reception in Columbus

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author

Achekov
    Participant

I created this thread to discuss the Sprint Network rebuild in Columbus that is currently underway. I’m wondering what areas other Sprint customers are experiencing reception issues currently. This project has been going on since around mid-summer of 2013, with intermittent 4 LTE coverage that comes and goes. The LTE network upgrades seem to be rolling from northwest to southeast, roughly. 4G was good in Marysville last fall, by early March of 2014 it was pretty solid down to about Polaris, but in Columbus there are still a number of issues.

In central Columbus I’m still getting very spotty reception in the area bounded by Hudson, I-71, 315, and 670. There is 4 LTE signal in this area but the LTE does not always have any data capacity and I find myself having to switch to 3G to get data. 3G speed has doubled north of Hudson, where I’m now seeing a fairly consistent 1.8 mpbs up and 8 mbps down.

Downtown 4 LTE has been on and off for the last month depending on the day of the week.

JAL
    Participant

Yes I have noticed that there has been no consistency downtown. Living Downtown I find that I have 4gLTE one minute, but not the next. It also seems like on days when I do have it, it comes and goes from block to block. I work out by Port Columbus and earlier this year 4gLTE signal was switching switch on and off throughout the day for about two months, but as of about a month ago it has been consistent. Hopefully this will be the case downtown and other areas of central Columbus very soon. I have also noticed that the 4gLTE signal is now pretty consistant traveling up I-71 to Northeastern Ohio. With my last drive up to near Akron I fouud quite a few large areas now 4g that weren’t last month.

Achekov
    Participant

Central Columbus definitely seems to be taking longer than most other areas for the upgrades and I wonder what the problem is?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, I’m constantly in dead zones with Sprint. Internet use feels like dial-up modem speeds if I’m not connected to WiFi.

I’m ready to switch.

Posole
    Participant

Yeah, I’m constantly in dead zones with Sprint. Internet use feels like dial-up modem speeds if I’m not connected to WiFi.

I’m ready to switch.

Hold out if you can, because you can qualify for the “Lifetime Unlimited Data” plan, which will be great when they eventually roll out their Spark network, which will beat everything out there currently.

http://faster.sprint.com/category/spark/

NerosNeptune
    Participant

So glad I didn’t wait around for them to upgrade

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

It’s a little better than it was last year at this time in German Village but still pretty spotty. Anyone want to join my framily plan?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

It’s a little better than it was last year at this time in German Village but still pretty spotty. Anyone want to join my framily plan?

Do you have everything plus text?

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jpunkster wrote:</div>

Do you have everything plus text?

<span class=”embed-youtube” style=”text-align:center; display: block;”>[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLlOkKskBqU?version=3&rel=1&fs=1&showsearch=0&showinfo=1&iv_load_policy=1&wmode=transparent&w=620&h=379%5D</span&gt;

+1, brilliant!!!

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

My Sprint cell service has been terrible for a while now, mostly around the outerbelt.

Achekov
    Participant

My Sprint cell service has been terrible for a while now, mostly around the outerbelt.

Yesterday I drove down to Groveport, there was virtually no data signal from Bexley to the outerbelt, then all of a sudden, blazing 4LTE. Couple of hours later, I drove back, and it died again once I got close to 70 on 33.

Clearly the ‘burbs are getting preferential treatment, here.

Not that Tom
    Not that Tom
    Participant

I’m mulling whether to finally get a smartphone. Virgin’s got the best price for data plans, but they’re on Sprint’s network, which looks like there’s zero 4GLTE coverage in Columbus. Is this true? Or is this map outdated? I just pulled it from Virgin’s website (the purple is 4GLTE).

Sprint 4GLTE Coverage Columbus

Posole
    Participant

Virgin uses a combination of Sprint and Cricket, IIRC, or they did at one time.

The Sprint upgrades in Columbus are taking far longer than they have anywhere else. I have no idea why but it has been a veritable disaster from what I can see. I expect one week will wake up and it will all be switched on, but I have no idea when that might be.

JAL
    Participant

I’m mulling whether to finally get a smartphone. Virgin’s got the best price for data plans, but they’re on Sprint’s network, which looks like there’s zero 4GLTE coverage in Columbus. Is this true? Or is this map outdated? I just pulled it from Virgin’s website (the purple is 4GLTE).
    <P></P>
    <P>Sprint 4GLTE Coverage Columbus</P>

The map is outdated. Currently the 4g LTE network is spotty throughout Columbus as they are expanding LTE coverage. A lot of the outer ring of Columbus (along the outerbelt outward) is now covered with 4g LTE which just happened within the last month. Downtown/Central Columbus still varies from block to block and in some cases time of day.

Graybeak
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coremodels wrote:</div>

Yesterday I drove down to Groveport, there was virtually no data signal from Bexley to the outerbelt, then all of a sudden, blazing 4LTE. Couple of hours later, I drove back, and it died again once I got close to 70 on 33.

Clearly the ‘burbs are getting preferential treatment, here.

You watch your phone that closely while driving? Doesn’t seem very safe.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: