Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Spring Street Bridge Demolition & Reconstuction

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Spring Street Bridge Demolition & Reconstuction

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Via Facebook:

Quote:
    Notice something missing in this photo? How about the chain link fencing. It’s part of the pre-demolition preparations for taking down the Spring Street bridge over I-71. More details on the upcoming demolition later this week, so stay tuned to our Facebook and Twitter feeds.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=225352310900162&set=a.123900511045343.15611.123896421045752&type=1

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Preliminary demolition work has already started with closure of the street to through traffic on Friday, May 4th.

News
    Participant

Press Release:
    Spring Street Bridge to Close for Six Months

One of the last pieces of the old I-71/670 highway zone will start coming down late next week,
    as demolition will begin on the Spring Street Bridge over I-71. Demolition work is slated to begin on early May 4.

The bridge will be closed for 180 days. Motorists will be detoured to…
    • East Broad Street (via Hamilton Street)
    • Jack Gibbs Boulevard (via St. Clair or Cleveland Avenues)
    • Long Street (eastbound only)
    • 5th Avenue (via St. Clair or Cleveland Avenues)

Unlike the Long Street Bridge, the Spring Street Bridge is not wide enough to allow traffic to be maintained one lane at a time, so it must be closed during demolition and construction. The Spring Street Bridge actually has two bridges that will be removed and replaced with a single bridge over I-71.

This is also more than a bridge replacement. This project segment also involves digging a tunnel for the ramp from I-71 North to I-670 East. The new Elijah Pierce Boulevard will go over the top of the tunnel.

Some of the demolition preparations are already underway. Kokosing crews were at work earlier this week removing sections of fencing along the bridge in advance of shutting the bridge down for demolition.

As with other demolitions, noise and dust can be an issue for nearby residents and businesses. So, a few points bear repeating:

The demolition work will involve machines such as concrete saws, cranes and hoe-rams to break up the concrete and remove the old steel beams and bridge support columns. The work will also create some noise above and beyond the usual street noise.

Here are some suggestions to minimize noise:
    • Make sure doors and windows are shut.
    • Relocate to interior rooms of the home and keep curtains closed.
    • Turn on a fan or similar device that creates “white noise” to minimize sounds from outside.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Some pretty large/old trees were cut down yesterday along the grass slope next to the Spring Street bridge. It’s been a long time coming, but its always a hit to the aesthetics of any neighborhood when old tall trees are lost. The new saplings that will be planted afterward will take a half-century to look the same again.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Had the pleasure of listening to heavy machinery all night long last night…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Couple of new photos I took today, from here: http://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-june-2012

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

More photos. I love how the road drops off into a 30 foot ravine about 5 feet beyond the “Road Closed” sign.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Looks like the new pilars for the Spring Street Bridge are nearly in place. Will probably see the bridge deck going up soon. More photos, here:

Construction Roundup — July 2012

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The Spring Street Bridge pillars are almost back…

Construction Roundup: August 2012 Part 1

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

bucki12

I used to live on Garfield not far from there. It seems a lot of expense for very little gain.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

bucki12 said:
    I used to live on Garfield not far from there. It seems a lot of expense for very little gain.

Spring and Long carry a lot of traffic back and forth between Downtown and the Near East Side.

But that’s kind of beside the point as the bridges need to be rebuilt to accomodate the widening of the highway below them.

If you’re saying the 70/71 Project is a lot of expense for very little gain, I agree. ;)

GCrites80s
    Participant

If current VMT trends hold, the whole Downtown Innerbelt project might finish up just in time for volume to reach the same level that the old Innerbelt was first designed for — or even go lower. Crony capitalism!

bucki12

Walker said:

If you’re saying the 70/71 Project is a lot of expense for very little gain, I agree. ;)

LOL I wasn’t suggesting they cut off access to the KLD. The widening of the highway seems like a waste of resources considering what the end result will be. I was visiting some friends over there and we were talking about all the money that is being spent just for that part of the project alone. It boggles the mind.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: