Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

SPARC Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion SPARC Columbus

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Rioward7
    Participant

Does anyone know what the delay is for SPARC. Ever since they demolished a portion of the stadium it has been sitting with little to no progress. I was very anxious to see what would come of the project that had an original debut date of 2014. They pushed it back to 2015 but there is no way that it will be ready by then. Any news is welcome news. Thanks.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Construction began in April, with a then-projected opening of late 2015, early 2016.

Rioward7
    Participant

I know they considered the demolition portion as “Construction” but it ended in July or so. Since then it has sat with little to no progress. A call to Arshot the developer went unanswered. Just wondering if anyone has any insider information.

Rioward7
    Participant

Anyone with any news for this project?

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Probably not too much activity until after the Cirque du Soleil tents come down in late June – http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/life_and_entertainment/2015/03/04/CIRQUE-DU-SOLEIL.html

GCrites80s
    Participant

I might be able to get some info next week; no guarantees. My car has actually already been worked on at the SPARC site.

GCrites80s
    Participant

My source says that the most recent holdup was due to a government entity wanting Arshot to put a retention pond right in the middle of the site. Apparently they recently figured out a way to avoid having to do that.

JeepGirl
    Participant

It’s easy to imagine that there are all kinds of details that they have to work out with such a unique development. Until they officially announce that it’s cancelled and another apartment complex is going up instead, I’ll keep looking forward to an eventual opening day.

And Cirque du Soleil.. yeah, this lady and her family will be in the crowd for that.

Rioward7
    Participant

I’m hoping that it’s still a go for this development. I am kind of surprised that they have not leaked anything to the public about the holdup though.

GCrites80s
    Participant

“Racetracks” often take years longer to open than expected.

Rioward7
    Participant

Does anyone have any updates to share? I know they hired a new director in early spring and there have not been any updates since…….

theadocj
    Participant

They made a lot of money putting their “spacey” logo on a piece of paper and charging everyone $10 to park in their dilapidated lot during the Cirque residency! But other than that, no, still no race cars.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Developers Say Auto Racing Coming To Old Cooper Stadium By 2017
    By Kevin Landers
    10TV

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Three years after developers promised to transform Cooper Stadium in west Columbus into an automotive research and entertainment venue, the stadium remains at a standstill.

A promise to open in 2012 never came. Neither did another in 2014.

Currently, the tattered ballpark is home to a field of weeds, rusted steps, and faded baseball memories.

The west side eyesore along Mound Street has frustrated local businesses who believed the project would be completed by now.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2015/08/13/columbus-ohio-developers-say-auto-racing-coming-to-old-cooper-stadium-by-2017.html

News
    Participant

Developers Say Auto Racing Coming To Old Cooper Stadium By 2017
    By Kevin Landers
    Thursday August 13, 2015 5:33 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Three years after developers promised to transform Cooper Stadium in west Columbus into an automotive research and entertainment venue, the stadium remains at a standstill.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2015/08/13/columbus-ohio-developers-say-auto-racing-coming-to-old-cooper-stadium-by-2017.html

Rioward7
    Participant

Anyone heard news on this development? I know Arshot just announced a new high rise apartment. Seems like they are moving past this?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The 6th Annual Columbus Dessert Festival Returns!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO