Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

South Campus High Rise Addition/Renovation

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development South Campus High Rise Addition/Renovation

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

anillo
    Participant

Don’t think I’ve seen this here yet, so I figured I’d post it.

Quote:
    Ohio State is in the middle of what officials call a $171.6 million shortcut to make room for more students on South Campus.

The project – dubbed the South Campus High Rise Renovation and Addition Project – will connect Park to Stradley, and Steeb to Smith, creating rooms for 360 more students by August 2013.

“It’s basically building another building in between these two buildings,” said Scott Conlon, director of projects for Facilities Design and Construction.

One such building will serve as a central lobby for Park and Stradley, and a similar building will provide a lobby to Steeb and Smith. Besides the new lobby and extra residence rooms in the existing towers, the project will add lounges and study rooms to the dormitories.

3757663542.jpg

Rest of Lantern article

surber17
    Participant

I remember hearing about this a while back. Glad to see they’re moving forward on it.

futureman
    Participant

News
    Participant

Dorm fixes will squeeze Ohio State students
    By Encarnacion Pyle
    The Columbus Dispatch Monday August 22, 2011 8:39 AM

Ohio State University will keep two dorms closed after school starts this fall because of construction, a first that will cause hundreds of freshmen to be squeezed four to a room at other halls for the year.

Drackett Tower and Scott House primarily served upperclassmen last year, but this year they’ll be freshmen-only dorms. Officials also put four students instead of two into most of the rooms, adding 350 beds to Drackett and 95 to Scott.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/08/22/dorm-fixes-will-squeeze-students.html

DavidF
    Participant

and I’ll bet they didn’t reduce housing costs by 50%

johnwirtz
    Participant

I lived in a quad on north campus. It was tight, but it wasn’t that bad.

Pablo
    Participant

DavidF said:
    and I’ll bet they didn’t reduce housing costs by 50%

If anything, OSU raised costs due to more wear and tear on their facilities. :D

DavidF
    Participant

johnwirtz said:
    I lived in a quad on north campus. It was tight, but it wasn’t that bad.

I lived in one of the towers my first quarter freshman year. 4 to a bedroom, 4 bedrooms to a unit. Crazy crowded.

johnwirtz
    Participant

DavidF said:
    I lived in one of the towers my first quarter freshman year. 4 to a bedroom, 4 bedrooms to a unit. Crazy crowded.

That sounds bad, but this doesn’t involve the Towers (Lincoln and Morril).

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

johnwirtz said:

Both of which need major renovations themselves. I believe that’s in the near future plans.

DavidF
    Participant

johnwirtz said:

No, but 4 to a room is kind of ridiculous. Especially if you are charging full housing fees.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

A quick photo I took on Sunday. This really has sprung up quick!

From here: https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-august-2011

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Photo update for anyone who hasn’t been through here in a little while. These look really nice!

PHOTOS: https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-april-2014-pt-2

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO