Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

South Campus Gateway - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development South Campus Gateway – News & Updates

This topic contains 149 replies, has 52 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 150 total)
  • Author
    _calebross
    _calebross
    Participant

Projected opening for the new Canes is the beginning of the year. The old Canes will shut down for winter break, and the plan is to open the new one after the break due to the fact that Cane’s lease expires the 1st of January 2016 and Campus Partners refused to extend it any. Seems like that section of development will also be moving forward soon.

Also speculative: Cane’s will not be doing delivery any and there won’t be a drive thru.

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

Why all the chain restaurants? Wasn’t Gateway originally pitched as a place that would offer affordable space to local businesses and student entrepreneurs? It was a public project, and as long as it remains such it should theoretically give at least a little something back to the community.

atmapes1
    Participant

Why all the chain restaurants? Wasn’t Gateway originally pitched as a place that would offer affordable space to local businesses and student entrepreneurs? It was a public project, and as long as it remains such it should theoretically give at least a little something back to the community.

I feel like you can do that to an extent but when they can’t fill these spaces over a period of time then it’s really just about getting someone worthwhile to fill the space (ie Jimmy John’s, World of Beer, Cane’s). These places are not only popular among college students but also in general to the growing area. Also, a campus this big could always use more Jimmy John’s. Trust me.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Why all the chain restaurants? Wasn’t Gateway originally pitched as a place that would offer affordable space to local businesses and student entrepreneurs?

I think they’ve given that a fair shot, and it’s worked well in some instances, but not in others.

I’ve never done an official headcount of businesses through the High Street stretch of the University District, but I’d wager that there are more chains than there are local shops. A lot of students want things that are cheap and familiar, so that’s what will thrive nearby.

wpcc88
    Participant

Drove by today, crazy that one of the buildings is already up and has windows installed.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Drove by today, crazy that one of the buildings is already up and has windows installed.

+1

The garage structure appears to be built with pre-fab concrete, so it’s gone vertical insanely quickly.

I’m sure these construction techniques are nothing new, but they’re impressive to see in action.

wpcc88
    Participant

The garage structure appears to be built with pre-fab concrete, so it’s gone vertical insanely quickly.

I’m sure these construction techniques are nothing new, but they’re impressive to see in action.

Yea the technique is for certain not new but rarely seen in Columbus. But I believe this is the second one in recent developments, the Grandview Yard Nationwide garage being the first(if I’m not mistaken). The first time I ever say it was at an industrial park that my dad worked on in suburban Cleveland. They built something like 6 buildings in less than 4 months.

Pablo
    Participant

The Hub garage was built in a similar fashion.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Here’s some photos from this weekend to show how fast this site has been constructed. In September it had just been cleared.

MORE HERE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-november-2015-part-2

rory
    Participant

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2016/01/13/buckeye-hall-of-fame-closing-at-grandview-yard.html

The Eddie George Grill is moving to Grandview Yard. I wonder what will be there next?

_calebross
    _calebross
    Participant

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2016/01/13/buckeye-hall-of-fame-closing-at-grandview-yard.html

The Eddie George Grill is moving to Grandview Yard. I wonder what will be there next?

I am so sad about this, I love Eddie George’s! I’m scared to see what goes in here honestly, but I feel like this would’ve been a better location for Cane’s instead of where it is going now due to its larger footprint.

On the other hand, Cane’s is opening February 1st at its new location.,

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

If a large chain did move into the space I would like to see it be a Yard House! They have great food and a good happy hour.

http://www.yardhouse.com/home

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

It’s kind of sad to not have an OSU themed restaurant there anymore, you know, because it’s across the street from OSU. I always loved how they played music outside on gamedays. Made for a better atmosphere.

Yard House is a good suggestion. I’ve been to the one in Cinci and the food and beer selection are great, although it may be a little pricey for campus.

_calebross
    _calebross
    Participant

It’s kind of sad to not have an OSU themed restaurant there anymore, you know, because it’s across the street from OSU. I always loved how they played music outside on gamedays. Made for a better atmosphere.

Yard House is a good suggestion. I’ve been to the one in Cinci and the food and beer selection are great, although it may be a little pricey for campus.

Don’t underestimate the spending power of these kids. These college kids has loads of money from mommie and daddie.

ImNotaStar
    Participant

Don’t underestimate the spending power of these kids. These college kids has loads of money from mommie and daddie.

No they don’t. If they did they wouldn’t be going to a cheap public school. Pull your head out of your ass. Look where the average OSU kid lives, its nothing like where the average NYU kid lives. The family who sends their kid to OSU is probably slightly better off than the average Ohioan. Being that the median income for a household in Ohio is 48k even if we assume 10% higher thats roughly 53k. Hardly enough to be flush with cash. In fact that is not even enough to pay for your kid to go to college at OSU. If you have money you don’t send your kid to a 10k a year university.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 150 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.