Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

South Campus Gateway - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development South Campus Gateway – News & Updates

This topic contains 149 replies, has 52 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 150 total)
  • Author

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Ohio State University Communications are moving out of their office space on 11th ave. also. It’s a pretty big space. I heard the rent (to OSU from the people who own the gateway) was very high and that’s the reason.

I get the feeling that the whole area thinks they’re time square and charge the same. Could that be why things don’t stay very long?

buckeyecpa
    Participant

OSU’s rent is too high for OSU? I doubt this is the case. They were never meant to be there long term. Many OSU offices have temporarily held space in gateway over the years. Often it was just a layover for them. This one just happened to be more noticeable.

Everyone complains about the rent for failure. Mad Mex, Tuna, and a handful of others have survived since day 1. Per sqft, they pay the exact same amount.

sruckus
    Participant

OSU isn’t one entity. They do lots of chargebacks and cost recovery between units. It depends on the department for what buildings/temp space you can afford.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Everyone complains about the rent for failure. Mad Mex, Tuna, and a handful of others have survived since day 1. Per sqft, they pay the exact same amount.

I haven’t verified this, but I heard from a very trustworthy source that some of the older buildings around 15th and High charge higher per-sqft for retailers than the Gateaway does because the centralized location means a higher amount of foot traffic.

So yeah… I think the “too expensive” statement should actually be a little more nuanced into a “too high for the amount of foot traffic you get” kind of statement, because it’s not the highest rent in the area.

News
    Participant

Renderings Released for Five Story Mixed-Use Project South of OSU
    September 11, 2015 2:25 pm – Brent Warren

Edwards Communities has submitted plans for a five-story mixed-use building that will sit on the east side of High Street between Eighth and Ninth avenues. The plans will be presented to the University Area Review Board on September 17th.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/south-campus-gateway-expansion-bw1

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

Not great, but I never really had high expectations for that site.

ohbr
    Participant

Oomph. I keep coming back to look at it to figure out what I don’t like and I keep coming back to the cornice work along the roof. I think if you remove that and they semi-Victorian roofline over the patios it’s a step in the right direction. A few minor changes to the exterior and it won’t be the greatest building in the world but it also won’t be so… Off putting? Is that the word I’m looking for? It’s just, not that good as is. I think I’d even take an arena district building over this.

rory
    Participant

I agree, it’s not an attractive building. But, it’s a conceptual drawing so hopefully the review board will work it’s magic. Some of the previous renderings for the project reduced people to tears. It ought to be an interesting review board meeting if you’re interested in architecture. Some months it’s the best ticket in town.

atmapes1
    Participant

I saw someone was hard at work in the old Pizza Rustica space last night. Anybody know what’s going in there?

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

They were never meant to be there long term.

from all the people I know who work in that department.. they thought they were.

CMH2579
    Participant

I saw someone was hard at work in the old Pizza Rustica space last night. Anybody know what’s going in there?

A Jimmy Johns is going in.

dru
    Participant

there is a sign up on the space in between Game Stop and Five Guys announcing it as the first OH location of Pizza Rev
    http://pizzarev.com/locations/pizzarev-columbus/

the most significant thing is that this particular space is one that I do believe has never been occupied since construction.
    https://goo.gl/maps/Pd79WGpeZbT2

ohbr
    Participant

I saw signage that implies Canes is moving into the former potbelly space. Any confirmation on that?

dru
    Participant

I saw signage that implies Canes is moving into the former potbelly space. Any confirmation on that?

that is also true

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Heh. I think the signage confirmed that. ;)

Anyway, I’ve heard the same thing recently. Sounds like it’s a go!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 150 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: