Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

South Campus Gateway - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development South Campus Gateway – News & Updates

This topic contains 149 replies, has 52 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 150 total)
  • Author

GCrites80s
    Participant

Students have gotten wiser about their finances since the Gateway opened. Student loan and unemployment terror mean more ramen and video games than the early mid-2000s students and their $17 dinners and long nights out grinding to Nelly while drinking $8 Red Bull and Grey Gooses.

Anonymous

Bowling.
    Alley.
    Please.
    Preferably rooftop.

placebohigh
    Participant

This is too bad. I really liked Gooeyz. Luckily Melt’s opening is right around the corner Nov 15.

Leahy255
    Participant

They need more established shoppers south of the center. Professionals that have extra income that could supplement students restricted budgets. There is room to build residences that should be focused for professionals. Lennox for example has a mix of shoppers students, professionals, Grandview.

labi
    Participant

Leahy255 said:
    They need more established shoppers south of the center.

You mean like the kind of people who might be interested in 90 units of spacious apartments renovated in a high-quality, historically sensitive manner?

Leahy255
    Participant

labi said:
    You mean like the kind of people who might be interested in 90 units of spacious apartments renovated in a high-quality, historically sensitive manner?

Oh yea! I hope retailers in south campus willing to see growth between Short North and Campus. Plus up and down high st is getting more apartment developments. This should make south campus more feasible.

News
    Participant

Shop Talk: Pur•Suit
    Published on December 19, 2013 4:15 pm
    By: Walker

When is a pop-up no longer a pop-up? Well, after two years in the South Campus Gateway, men’s clothing store Pursuit is still clinging to the term for the time being.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/shop-talk-pursuit

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

News said:
    Shop Talk: Pur•Suit
    Published on December 19, 2013 4:15 pm

When is a pop-up no longer a pop-up? Well, after two years in the South Campus Gateway, men’s clothing store Pursuit is still clinging to the term for the time being.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/shop-talk-pursuit

This keeps getting more and more ironic! Yesterday, for a field trip, my business class went to the OSU Campus to hear a few speakers, and he was by far the best one! And a matter in fact, he told us about the ChristmasMisc store close by and one of my friends had one of the sweaters he bought from that store on! Small world.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Another vacancy in South Campus Gateway as Finish Line closed its High St location permanently this past Saturday.

http://thelantern.com/2014/01/shoe-store-reaches-finish-line-south-campus-gateway/[/url]

myliftkk
    Participant

From the article

I think almost everyone does their shopping online so it won’t affect most of them.

Finish Line is the fourth business in the Gateway to close since the beginning of summer 2013.

Not good omens for future tenants.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

That’s too bad about Finish Line.. I really liked that place. It’s actually weird to me how much I liked buying shoes in there. I never did see many people inside though. I guess when you can get fast free shipping and returns from zappos with a much greater selection then why bother leaving the house.

Overall though I don’t think these recent closings mean doom for the gateway.. there are a lot of business there so some will always be closing. If it comes down to it they can just make the whole thing a giant Panera Bread. There’s almost always a good crowd in there.

GCrites80s
    Participant

I’m no clothing retail expert, but one thing might be is that the number of nerds at OSU is really ramping up. Those of us here who attended college in the the ’80s, ’90s and early 2000s remember the jocks ruling especially at Midwestern land-grant schools with lots of sports success such as Ohio State. They were a very large portion of the student body. With the nerd (and hipster) takeover the demand for athletic wear in the area may be down.

Another thing always looming over campus retail is the “no Christmas” aspect of it. Christmas is so deathly important in retail that surrendering it is a very risky move that often doesn’t pay off. Sure the Buckeye-themed stores do fine, but nobody else goes to campus to Christmas shop.

heresthecasey
    Participant

2 businesses to fill South Campus Gateway vacancies
    February 6, 2014
    Liz Young, The Lantern

Some of South Campus Gateway’s vacant storefronts look as though they’ll soon light up again. After at least four tenants moved out within a span of 10 months, two new businesses have recently signed leases – Simply Vague and Oxley’s Bar and Grill.

Esther Hall, gallery manager at Ohio Art League, said Ohio Art League is leaving Gateway because “the people who own our lease agreement have decided to terminate early.”

She said the lease agreement is owned by South Campus Gateway and managed by Colliers International. Hall said the store, which has been in the Gateway since 2009 and does not pay rent because it was donated, was notified Tuesday.

http://thelantern.com/2014/02/2-businesses-fill-south-campus-gateway-vacancies/[/url]

News
    Participant

Published on February 6, 2014 2:30 pm
    The Ohio Art League is Leaving the South Campus Gateway

The Ohio Art League announced today via email that the organization will be leaving the South Campus Gateway at the end of February. The organization has housed both their offices and their gallery space at 1552 North High Street in the gateway alley since relocating there from The Short North in 2009.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/the-ohio-art-league-is-leaving-the-south-campus-gateway

heresthecasey
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 150 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: