Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

South Campus Gateway - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development South Campus Gateway – News & Updates

This topic contains 149 replies, has 52 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 2 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 150 total)
  • Author

leftovers

columbusmike said:
    There really is a lack of a quality hotels (exception for the Blackwell) near campus. However, I’m guessing a hotel on High Street will not be overly affordable.

There is definitely a need for this. I think it will be more Hilton than Pizzuti and hopefully priced accordingly.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

A hotel would do wanders in this area within such close proximity of campus, the medical center and the Short North. Demand should be even more pent up since OSU took over the Holiday Inn on Lane. Alot of alumni stayed there on game days. This would be a viable alternative, just a longer walk. It should be more economical, not like the Blackwell, which is in its own league (high end, full service). Just as long as it’s not stucco and 1-3 stories, I’ll be happy.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

columbusmike said:
    However, I’m guessing a hotel on High Street will not be overly affordable.

I don’t think it would need to be affordable if it’s got a prime location and is convenient.

There’s plenty more affordable options along Olentangy:

The 315 Hotel Corridor is Under Construction

leftovers

It doesn’t need to be affordable, but since this is developed by Campus Partners in connection with the University I hope they will keep the everyday students and their families in mind*. It is more a question of how much money they make, not if they will make money.

I am not saying low cost either, but when I had my folks visit for a game I would have loved for them to stay closer to my small south campus apartment I shared with several other people. I think most OSU students at one point bring family in for a day or two and I really think a walkable hotel would be part of the OSU experience.

*maybe offer a once a year discount ‘family visit’ rate coupon per student id.

Evelyn Van Til
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    A hotel would do wanders in this area within such close proximity of campus, the medical center and the Short North. Demand should be even more pent up since OSU took over the Holiday Inn on Lane. Alot of alumni stayed there on game days. This would be a viable alternative, just a longer walk. It should be more economical, not like the Blackwell, which is in its own league (high end, full service). Just as long as it’s not stucco and 1-3 stories, I’ll be happy.

yes. no stucco etc… :)

It would be meaningful if the rumored hotel etc. would make good on actual jobs for the local community.

News
    Participant

Vacant spaces in Gateway rise as Charlie Bear, Gooeyz leave within 2 weeks
    November 6, 2013
    Shelby Lum

Fewer lights will flicker on in the South Campus Gateway this weekend, and patrons aren’t the only ones who were surprised. Since the beginning of the summer, at least three properties in the area have closed — Charlie Bear: Land of Dance, Gooeyz and Kildare’s Irish Pub, the former two of which announced their leaves via Twitter within the last two weeks — leaving owners of the spaces surprised.

READ MORE: http://thelantern.com/2013/11/vacant-spaces-gateway-rise-charlie-bear-gooeyz-leave-within-2-weeks/

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

This doesn’t surprise me. I know rents down there are pretty darn high and I don’t think Gateway has experienced the foot traffic that they expected from day one. I for one am shocked that Pizza Rustica has stayed open this long. I walked by there several times a week during lunch and evenings and barely saw anyone in there. The prices are a little high for the campus crowd as well. I wonder how this will affect the future “Gateway 2” plans, with respect to retail….if that plan is still in the works, that is.

Maybe it’s time to take the SCG in a new direction. With all of that disposable income, maybe it is time for national fashion retailers to consider those larger spaces. It certainly would be a draw and the parking and foot traffic is already there.

Geno99
    Participant

I was dubious of Gooeyz from the start. Grilled cheese sandwiches are only so interesting.

wpcc88
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    This doesn’t surprise me. I know rents down there are pretty darn high and I don’t think Gateway has experienced the foot traffic that they expected from day one. I for one am shocked that Pizza Rustica has stayed open this long. I walked by there several times a week during lunch and evenings and barely saw anyone in there. The prices are a little high for the campus crowd as well. I wonder how this will affect the future “Gateway 2” plans, with respect to retail….if that plan is still in the works, that is.

Maybe it’s time to take the SCG in a new direction. With all of that disposable income, maybe it is time for national fashion retailers to consider those larger spaces. It certainly would be a draw and the parking and foot traffic is already there.

If they were smart they would put an H&M in Charlie Bear or possibly a UNIQLO. The powers that be will not allow that space to be a success as a ‘party’ spot because that’s not what the school envisioned for Gateway in the first place. They could do that and possibly beg McFaddens, which is legit national brand, to come back into their former space at reduced cost. Charlie Bear was forced out in my honest opinion and by doing so that left Gooeyz high and dry. Pizza Rustica will be soon to follow because both they and Gooeyz relied heavily on the late night customers from Charlie Bear and Tuna. RIP to the Gateway of my college prime, it certainly was fun while it lasted.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The Gateway was probably “over retailed” from the start. It’s easy to point to the businesses that didn’t work as failures, but there are plenty of business who have been solid long-term tenants. The OSU student crowd is a very interesting demographic that doesn’t work for all business types.

That being said, the non-retail side of the Gateway (housing and office space) has always been very successful. I’ve heard that the Charlie Bear space will be replaced with offices that are already fully leased out. That’s probably a better solution for now to fill with tenants that will pay their bills.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Panera, Mad Mex, Ugly Tuna, Eddie George’s, etc., have all been there from the start and will continue to thrive. But there are only so many student dollars to go around. The SGC will need to adapt accordingly.

OSU has filled out much of the space, and I suspect that will continue.

The McFadden’s/Kildare’s space is prime real estate. Hopefully someone or someones with the right vision can take it on and succeed.

buckeyecpa
    Participant

A bar-first place in gateway will always be tough to succeed with exceptions (tuna). The size of the space that the bars have come with high rents. It’s hard to last when you’re selling bud lights and bottom shelf vodka drinks while competing with many other bars doing the same with lower rents in the same area.

JB05
    Participant

Geno99 said:
    I was dubious of Gooeyz from the start. Grilled cheese sandwiches are only so interesting.

x2 on this. I ate there once, and didn’t find it very good. I can’t say I’m surprised about the bars either. ~18 months seems to be the average life-span of a campus-area bar. I remember Kildare’s was some other Irish named bar back in like 2010. I’m sure another slightly different successor will fill the space soon enough.

wpcc88
    Participant

JB05 said:
    x2 on this. I ate there once, and didn’t find it very good. I can’t say I’m surprised about the bars either. ~18 months seems to be the average life-span of a campus-area bar. I remember Kildare’s was some other Irish named bar back in like 2010. I’m sure another slightly different successor will fill the space soon enough.

McFaddens was there for 4 years and Charlie Bear/Gooeyz for almost 3.. All were forced out by raising the rent

buckeyecpa
    Participant

wpcc88 said:
    McFaddens was there for 4 years and Charlie Bear/Gooeyz for almost 3.. All were forced out by raising the rent

That’s false. I’m sure the rent rate had something to do with affordability but this was not the sole cause. McFaddens started to see a decline and they also closed a few other locations during that period. Charlie Bear was on lease for another two years. Those are terms they negotiated. Gooeyz just fell victim the the closures. But if you can’t last as a food place when places close it probably says something about the food being served. Raising rent complaints on commercial is usually a cover for a deeper issue like we saw with Kildare’s.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 150 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.