Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

South Campus Gateway - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development South Campus Gateway – News & Updates

This topic contains 149 replies, has 52 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 150 total)
  • Author

ohbr
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>_calebross wrote:</div>
    Don’t underestimate the spending power of these kids. These college kids has loads of money from mommie and daddie.

No they don’t. If they did they wouldn’t be going to a cheap public school. Pull your head out of your ass. Look where the average OSU kid lives, its nothing like where the average NYU kid lives.

Lots of rich people send their kids to OSU. people who can EASILY afford private schools choose OSU for name among other things. Conversely, lots of people who can’t afford private schools still send their kids to private schools. if you’re looking at where kids live as far as campus goes, that’s a completely different issue. Kids would be living in nicer houses if they were there. You absolutely cannot attest the parental income of OSU parents by the housing stock available for living in the University District. I can speak for parents that can afford to have their kids stay in much nicer places but they want to get a place with their friends in a big house, and so on and all that available is, well, what you imply is an for sure indicator of parental income.

But it should also be noted that much of the spending power from student loans is also student debt. I remember a number of nice dinners and new game systems on refund day for some of my friends.

wpcc88
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>_calebross wrote:</div>
    Don’t underestimate the spending power of these kids. These college kids has loads of money from mommie and daddie.

No they don’t. If they did they wouldn’t be going to a cheap public school. Pull your head out of your ass. Look where the average OSU kid lives, its nothing like where the average NYU kid lives. The family who sends their kid to OSU is probably slightly better off than the average Ohioan. Being that the median income for a household in Ohio is 48k even if we assume 10% higher thats roughly 53k. Hardly enough to be flush with cash. In fact that is not even enough to pay for your kid to go to college at OSU. If you have money you don’t send your kid to a 10k a year university.

The funny thing is, you’re completely wrong. Clearly you did not go to OSU or if you did you didn’t pay attention to most of your peers. There is a TON of big time money at tOSU, tons of CEO’s kids, Chicago, Main Line, NY/NJ, West Coast and not to mention the international students(they’re the ones driving the six figure exotics around).

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

No they don’t. If they did they wouldn’t be going to a cheap public school. Pull your head out of your ass. Look where the average OSU kid lives, its nothing like where the average NYU kid lives. The family who sends their kid to OSU is probably slightly better off than the average Ohioan. Being that the median income for a household in Ohio is 48k even if we assume 10% higher thats roughly 53k. Hardly enough to be flush with cash. In fact that is not even enough to pay for your kid to go to college at OSU. If you have money you don’t send your kid to a 10k a year university.

This is the dumbest thing I’ve seen written on CU in awhile. Bravo.

dalias
    dalias
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ImNotaStar wrote:</div>

This is the dumbest thing I’ve seen written on CU in awhile. Bravo.

To be fair s/he has self-admitted they are not a star. Dim troll is dim.

_calebross
    _calebross
    Participant

Uh, I go to OSU. Considering 95% the campus is walking around with Bean boots and North Face winter coats, its safe to say mom and dad have money.

EDIT: Also, a lot of out of state kids who attend OSU pay this crazy thing called out of state tuition, and combined with room and board, the costs of a year of college can cost 60k+ a year.. easily. Also, in state tution (including mandatory room and board) approaches 30k+ a year. Please tell me how exactly that is a 10k+ a year school?

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

so you’re saying the Land Grant University has been gentrified also? remember when OSU was a for the people school, everybody’s fallback school? There are plenty of kids @ OSU who struggle to pay their tuition, have multiple jobs during their college career, drive shitty beaters and don’t have the benefit of moms and dads largess, that being said a 4 year degree is rapidly becoming another symbol of income inequality.

Pablo
    Participant

The brick has been cleaned and tuck pointed on the building at 9th and High – it looks terrific!

Pablo
    Participant

There’s a lot going on along High between 7th and 9th. My commute takes me by here twice a day.

-Library – Lowendick is installing the construction fence and getting ready for demolition

-Edwards – The Wendy’s has been demolished and foundation work (drilled piles) is underway at 8th and High. It won’t be too long before the apartment building in the middle of the block is demolished. Brick veneer is going up on the units along 9th. The units on the south side of 8th appear to be complete on the exterior.

-Elford is renovating the apartment building just north of King, west side of High.

-The building at the northwest corner of 9th and High is progressing nicely.

-Upcoming work to look forward to on my commute: The Taco Bell project and the student housing project at 7th and High.

Josh Bauman
    Josh Bauman
    Participant

There’s a lot going on along High between 7th and 9th. My commute takes me by here twice a day.

-Library – Lowendick is installing the construction fence and getting ready for demolition

-Edwards – The Wendy’s has been demolished and foundation work (drilled piles) is underway at 8th and High. It won’t be too long before the apartment building in the middle of the block is demolished. Brick veneer is going up on the units along 9th. The units on the south side of 8th appear to be complete on the exterior.

-Elford is renovating the apartment building just north of King, west side of High.

-The building at the northwest corner of 9th and High is progressing nicely.

-Upcoming work to look forward to on my commute: The Taco Bell project and the student housing project at 7th and High.

This is awesome! Thanks for the updates. The middle apartment building is supposed to come down once the new CMH bldg is inhabitable at 9th and Section Alley, correct?

Pablo
    Participant

^That’s correct. I think the new building will be ready early summer.

Pablo
    Participant

The Taco Bell has closed. Yesterday when I drove by crews were removing signage.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

C’est la vie 4th meal

dalias
    dalias
    Participant

The Taco Bell has closed. Yesterday when I drove by crews were removing signage.

Kind of cruel to shut the late night meal down right before exams.

Josh Bauman
    Josh Bauman
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pablo wrote:</div>

Kind of cruel to shut the late night meal down right before exams.

That is a little strange that Taco Bell didn’t ask for construction to wait until after the school year ended – it’s only a few more weeks

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 150 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: