Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

South Campus Gateway - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development South Campus Gateway – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 150 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Previous news:

OSU May Develop “North Campus Gateway” – June 2010

Expansion of South Campus Gateway – February 2008

Huntington-OSU deal bodes well for Gateway, University District
    Business First by Carrie Ghose, Staff reporter
    Date: Thursday, February 2, 2012, 12:14pm EST

Huntington National Bank ’s $100 million economic development commitment as part of its deal to become the exclusive consumer-focused bank of Ohio State University could be good news for developers interested in building the next phase of the off-campus Gateway development.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2012/02/huntington-osu-deal-bodes-well-for.html

columbusmike
    Participant

Will be interesting to see if they go with a new North Campus Gateway project (tearing down historic St John Arena) or if they go with adding on to the South Campus gateway.

My gut says adding on to the South Campus gateway will enhance the core of High Street leading into campus. A north gateway could also be interesting….however, I’d rather see an incorporation of a renovated St John Arena into a new North Campus gateway district.

mrpoppinzs

Not really seeing much value in keeping St. Johns. It is very expensive to maintain and to heat/cool. It’s functionality is redundant to several athletic facilities on campus and the two other Arenas in Columbus. I say keep the memories but not the building.

found this thread which I think makes valid points:

St. John Arena May be Demolished at OSU

I think the money would be well spent at the South of Campus linking and rehabilitating that more distressed area (including WP). North Campus blends much better with the surrounding nieghborhoods.

columbusmike
    Participant

mrpoppinzs said:
    Not really seeing much value in keeping St. Johns. It is very expensive to maintain and to heat/cool. It’s functionality is redundant to several athletic facilities on campus and the two other Arenas in Columbus. I say keep the memories but not the building.

found this thread which I think makes valid points:

St. John Arena May be Demolished at OSU

I think the money would be well spent at the South of Campus linking and rehabilitating that more distressed area (including WP). North Campus blends much better with the surrounding nieghborhoods.

Yeah, I’ve seen that article before. I think they are justifying the demolition. They also said the two towers were going to be demo’ed too.

I think if the University hired a creative design firm, they could renovate St John Arena into a wonderful arena. Plus, OSU has already stressed that they need a mid-size arena to host volleyball, wrestling, etc. I think a renovated St John Arena could fill that purpose, and preserve a building with lots of history. I think there are ways to re-use the building (and all that embodied energy) rather than bulldoze it.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Pretty sure the school is planning a new campus extension with housing onto the St. Johns site. The stadium is too expensive to renovate and will likely come down. The plan is to eventually fill in all of those parking lots. Sorry tailgaters.

wpcc88
    Participant

that will be class rooms and office and possibly a new dorm.. I’ve heard through the grapevine that the former holiday will be another university run hotel

jpizzow said:
    Pretty sure the school is planning a new campus extension with housing onto the St. Johns site. The stadium is too expensive to renovate and will likely come down. The plan is to eventually fill in all of those parking lots. Sorry tailgaters.

leftovers

Anyone have any specifics on the South Campus Gateway Expansion in South Campus? I am hearing rumors it is to be a lot more student residential units and a hotel.

jOHnH
    Participant

I would like to see the development or expansion of the gateway, south on high street right between 9th and king. There is the eye sore of a building right next to taco bell that badly needs to go and there is also the large open space at 8th and high st. I have said over the past few years, the sketchiest part of high st is from 9th to King, when walking from campus to the short north. There are a few good establishments in those few blocks, village idiot, commonwealth and the new Kroger, but it still needs more.

labi
    Participant

jOHnH said:
    …and there is also the large open space at 8th and high st….

Just to clarify, the “large open space” is there because Campus Partners bought the buildings that used to be there and then tore them down.

bucki12

The apartments have been the big success of the original Gateway and now they are ‘OSU students only’ and at pretty much full occupancy. A friend of mine still lives there. I had also heard this will play a major role in the expansion, but I am told that it may be awhile before construction begins. The original Gateway also took its sweet time to be built.

I would really prefer that they put more retail in, but I have heard that there will be much less of that in the expansion. If you look at the FCA website, Campus Partners owns a lot of property in that area as well as by 15th (former Long’s Bookstore). This is all planned to be residential apartments at some future point.

I have also heard there will be another big apartment block (non-OSU affiliated) going up at the Dollar Store location at 7th and High.

This will fill in most of the gaps along High St between Campus and the SN. Again, it will probably be awhile before it all gets built.

bucki12

I just want to say that area of High St will be almost unrecognizable from when I first came to OSU.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

bucki12 said:
    I have also heard there will be another big apartment block (non-OSU affiliated) going up at the Dollar Store location at 7th and High.

Referring to this?

New Five Story Development Proposed for University District

bucki12

Walker said:
    Referring to this?

New Five Story Development Proposed for University District

Damn, and I thought, maybe, I had new info. :)

cbus11

I have heard the hotel is in the works. It really is a good location for this and I hope they make it affordable for families visiting students living nearby. I have been asked multiple times about hotels in walking distance to campus. This will fill a void.

columbusmike
    Participant

cbus11 said:
    I have heard the hotel is in the works. It really is a good location for this and I hope they make it affordable for families visiting students living nearby. I have been asked multiple times about hotels in walking distance to campus. This will fill a void.

There really is a lack of a quality hotels (exception for the Blackwell) near campus. However, I’m guessing a hotel on High Street will not be overly affordable.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 150 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: