Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

SOURS! (the beer kind)

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat SOURS! (the beer kind)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    ntn
    ntn
    Participant

The one beer I love but am too much of a wuss to attempt. In the 8 years of beer making, I have yet to ‘accidentally’ make one either.

Matt Boyd
    Participant

I think Jackie O’s down in Athens is doing some sours as well…brewpub only.

ExileOn6thSt
    Participant

Agree that the Geuze Tilquin and anything by Rodenbach (regular, Grand Cru) are great. FYI, Ace of Cups seems to always have Rodenbach on tap for a reasonable price. If you get it at happy hour it’s half price, which is $2.50 or $3 I think.

My favorite sour is the Bockor Cuvee des Jacobins Rouge. I’ve seen it on sale in bottles a couple times around town, but rarely. It’s more available on the East Coast generally. Definitely a sour sour.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Snarf said:
    Finally.

Pretty much my best contribution to this thread, IMO.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Little to add other than “yes” to the sour beer theme. I also like Jolly Pumpkin beers, in that they trend toward the very dry, sour-ish side of the taste spectrum for those styles. Great summer beers, by the way. On the lambic side, I have a few bottles of Cantillon I’m trying to resist uncorking; about 7 years old and with ‘best buy’ dates somewhere in the mid-2020’s.

I’ve half-assedly followed the trend among American craft brewers to develop Brett influenced beers in a broad set of styles (as opposed to trying to construct actual lambic breweries, which I believe Allagash actually did). A friend of mine and I have this dream of making a documentary about the trend here and its links with traditional Belgian brewing methods. Anyway, last winter, the NY Times had a nice article on US sour beers:

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I’m heading down to a event at Party Source today. Hopefully I can find some goodies.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

osulew said:
    Sorry for posting 70 bazillion times, but you should be able to find this around too. It’s the love child of a sour and an IPA.

I had one of these on Saturday night and was blow away. “love child of a sour and an IPA” is a perfect description.

actualfred
    Participant

I love resurrecting old threads about beer. Last night at House Beer, I ordered an Evil Twin Femme Fatale Yuzu Pale Ale. It replaces Stillwater’s “Table Beer” as my all time favorite beer. It’s sour, it’s funky, it has loads of brett character. Real nice. Just sayin’

this http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24300/98931

Also, we’re doing test batches of our first sour starting Friday.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

actualfred said:

that’s awesome! how long has it been in the barrel?

actualfred
    Participant

It’s not a barrel aged sour. That’s coming out in about three months. (spoiler).

It’s a 21 day sour that’s done on our pilot plant, Amelia Beerheart. It’s light sour and smokey. Naturally carbonated and based on a 3000 year old recipie that was developed in coordination with a few local breweries and the Ohio Historical Society.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

actualfred said:

I mean…if you need someone to help you taste test…

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

osulew said:
    I mean…if you need someone to help you taste test…

+1

actualfred
    Participant

Friday, 1pm. We’ll crack the first few bottles. Come one, come all.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Sounds like a good lunch hour errand to me. :)

Matt Boyd
    Participant

actualfred said:
    Friday, 1pm. We’ll crack the first few bottles. Come one, come all.

Argh! I work on the north side of town. That would one long lunch. Any other ways to get our hands on this stuff?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!