Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Downtown Crime - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Downtown Crime – News & Updates

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Posole
    Posole
    Participant

<cite>Graybeak said:</cite>

And a surprising amount of public urination.

It is not just the bums. I think it is in the air downtown. My wife and I were walking by CCAD last friday evening and a group of drunk students just stopped to urinate on the side of a building on Gay St.

I saw a drunk guy in a pretty nice business suit yelling and singing and urinating near High and Main just a few weeks ago. Welcome to the city!

<strong class=”d4pbbc-bold”>Ohio man committed after fatal pedestrian stabbing<br>
    Wednesday December 4, 2013 6:45 AM

<em class=”d4pbbc-italic”>COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A homeless man who fatally stabbed a stranger outside a downtown Columbus hotel last year has been committed to a mental hospital. Franklin Common Pleas Judge Richard Frye on Tuesday called 55-year-old Thomas Wallace a “poster child” for the problems with the state’s mental-health system.<br>
    <br>
    READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/apexchange/2013/12/04/oh–pedestrian-stabbing.html

I seem to remember another mentally ill guy who walked into a salon or something and started stabbing people a couple of years ago.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

At night, I walk High St. I’m fine with it, but know some people feel unsafe because of how quiet it gets. My rule of thumb is to typically walk where the nightlife is or the good lighting is. I feel perfectly safe once I’m on Gay St, 3rd st or 4th st. At night, a lot of the areas are a little too quiet or not well lit. It’s kind of a shame that High St is like that.

I run at night fairly often (between 6pm-10pm) Downtown and have never had any problems in the past few years.

rus
    rus
    Participant

I saw a drunk guy in a pretty nice business suit yelling and singing and urinating near High and Main just a few weeks ago. Welcome to the city!

Share the rainbow

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Walker is Batman, patrolling Columbus’ streets between 6-10 every night. ;)

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker is Batman, patrolling Columbus’ streets between 6-10 every night. ;)

Hope he’s not just wearing hockey pads. ;)

CB_downtowner
    Participant

Yeah, I personally don’t feel unsafe and walk home past midnight all the time. I think if anyone feels uncomfortable it’s because it’s really, really quiet. There’s hardly ever foot traffic unless there’s a hockey game.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

The lack of life at night is probably true throughout downtown during the winter, but for a block of Fourth St. and a block of E. Gay. As the area around Gay/Grant grows, that will likely be another pocket as will the stretch of High where the new apartment towers are up or going up.

It’s better during the summer, of course, but still, our downtown is developing in pockets–such is the patience required of a gigantic downtown’s square mileage. This is where dense development can do a lot of good. Building here and there doesn’t cut it; it’s the concentrations of development that will have wider ripples across downtown and across needs (improved security, retail, and eventually, mass transit).

But in the meantime, the number of incidents isn’t something to be ignored, IMO.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

It’s better during the summer, of course, but still, our downtown is developing in pockets–such is the patience required of a gigantic downtown’s square mileage.

True, and I’d say a lot of progress has been made on that front in the past 10 years. When I go for a run at night in the warmer months, it’s through CSCC’s campus, past BalletMet, to the Convention Center, Arena District, North Bank Park, Scioto Mile, RiverSouth, Columbus Commons, High Street, Gay Street, CCAD and back home. It’s all pretty interconnected and there’s quite a bit of activity, even on weeknights. Of course, other streets are not quite there yet.

But in the meantime, the number of incidents isn’t something to be ignored, IMO.

Of course not. But they should also be contextualized. When two homeless people get into a fight and one of them gets stabbed, it’s something to take seriously, but I don’t think that indecent poses an ongoing threat to the safety of 99.99% of the Downtown public.

Eugene_C
    Participant

I work downtown. Our HR dept sends out emails for just about every violent crime that is reported downtown with descriptions of suspects, etc. We didn’t get anything about a jogger this week.

Necro’ed topic. The original crime happened almost two years ago. Not sure why it was resurrected.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Necro’ed topic. The original crime happened almost two years ago. Not sure why it was resurrected.

I just updated the topic title to reflect this.

melikecheese
    Participant

Data suggests Downtown has less crime then most areas, however I can’t be certain the reporting on this site gets all the reports.

https://www.crimereports.com/

rus
    rus
    Participant

Data suggests Downtown has less crime then most areas, however I can’t be certain the reporting on this site gets all the reports.

https://www.crimereports.com/

This is the site linked from CPD’s page:
    http://www.raidsonline.com/

rus
    rus
    Participant

I’d thought city-data had crime statistics per zip code; didn’t find that but did find this:

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Columbus-Ohio.html

Not exact, as it compares cities to suburbs rather than just downtown to other parts of the area.

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

I’ve been working downtown since 1998 and never had any problems. I’ve seen a few minor ‘incidents’ and there are certainly occasional incidents. Random person on person crime is actually very rare, but probably more likely someplace like downtown due to the number of mentally ill on the streets. You’re statistically more likely to be seriously injured or killed in a car accident than be a victim of a random attack.

Viewing 14 posts - 61 through 74 (of 74 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION