Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Downtown Crime - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Downtown Crime – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)
  • Author

leftovers

Graybeak said:

And a surprising amount of public urination.

It is not just the bums. I think it is in the air downtown. My wife and I were walking by CCAD last friday evening and a group of drunk students just stopped to urinate on the side of a building on Gay St.

rus
    rus
    Participant

leftovers said:
    It is not just the bums. I think it is in the air downtown. My wife and I were walking by CCAD last friday evening and a group of drunk students just stopped to urinate on the side of a building on Gay St.

CCAD… you sure that wasn’t some kind of performance art?

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

Mister Shifter said:
    And police with jetpacks.

I think it would end up looking something like this.

kit444
    Participant

mrpoppinzs

Robbery…

rus
    rus
    Participant

mrpoppinzs said:
    Robbery…

Not really surprising.

mrpoppinzs

rus said:
    Not really surprising.

It is sad to admit, but it would be less alarming if it were drug related.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

News
    Participant

Ohio man committed after fatal pedestrian stabbing
    Wednesday December 4, 2013 6:45 AM

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A homeless man who fatally stabbed a stranger outside a downtown Columbus hotel last year has been committed to a mental hospital. Franklin Common Pleas Judge Richard Frye on Tuesday called 55-year-old Thomas Wallace a “poster child” for the problems with the state’s mental-health system.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/apexchange/2013/12/04/oh–pedestrian-stabbing.html

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

There was another stabbing Downtown this week–two homeless men apparently got into an altercation at High and Town; one stabbed the other. WSYX tweeted about this, saying that the status of the victim is unknown. It’s a blackout in the news otherwise.

Between this incident, the 3/2012 stabbing spree that injured four people, the 9/2012 killing mentioned in this thread, a 12/12 stabbing on South 4th St., a 9/2013 stabbing at the YMCA, a 12/13 gun killing at a Downtown club, I wanted to raise the question of safety in Downtown Columbus.

As a downtown resident and employee, I generally feel very safe walking to and from work, and from A to B across Downtown. But I wonder how incidents like the above might affect how others feel. As much progress as Downtown has made, it’s still far from being dense enough to have driven away a lot of the security issues that have been driven away in, say, the Short North.

Anyway, I was curious for the thoughts/experiences of others.

heresthecasey
    Participant

The Dispatch published a photo of the scene and a blurb with the basic facts regarding the stabbing this week, http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/03/26/photo-scene-of-downtown-stabbing.html

Apparently it was on the porch/in front of the vacant bank building at Town/High.

As far as the general feeling of safety Downtown, I’ve never experienced any issues or felt nervous or uncomfortable at any time. At large downtown events/festivals like RW&B or Jazz and Ribs I’ve seen a couple of minor scuffles but it always seems to be broken up and contained quickly by police, as well as happen between people who know each other already.

I’ve also very occasionally seen (a few times ever, out of many years being frequently downtown) verbally aggressive-type behavior from people at COTA stops on High, near carryouts that sell alcohol (the one on High north of Broad, gas station at Mound/Front, gas station at Rich/5th), near the clubs on Long St between Pearl and 3rd, and at/around the Greyhound bus depot. However, none of this has ever been enough to make me stop or even question the safety of using these facilities.

The only other real “safety” issue that I could see potentially giving visitors a bad impression is aggressive panhandling, which could stand to be better addressed by additional enforcement and social service outreach.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

There are some women that I work with who report being harrassed by the nare-do-wells waiting on a COTA bus, so they avoid that section of High, north of Broad to about Spring St. They are mostly young punks who I would never give 2 fucks about but I could see where they would scare away some people.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

Live downtown and walk downtown all the time. Been doing it for a few years. During the day is fine. If I mind my own business, people will mind theirs and I don’t get harassed much. I’d be more concerned about these downtown things if it sounded like people were getting harassed. It sounds like just some freak incidents.

At night, I walk High St. I’m fine with it, but know some people feel unsafe because of how quiet it gets. My rule of thumb is to typically walk where the nightlife is or the good lighting is. I feel perfectly safe once I’m on Gay St, 3rd st or 4th st. At night, a lot of the areas are a little too quiet or not well lit. It’s kind of a shame that High St is like that.

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

Homicide Downtown

The link above is to a 10 TV report. A body was apparently found at around 6:15 am. I am sure as hell glad I was not early commuting in today, I would hate to have been the person to find the body. It would have been even worse to see the crime happen.

I work downtown. Our HR dept sends out emails for just about every violent crime that is reported downtown with descriptions of suspects, etc. We didn’t get anything about a jogger this week.

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

<cite>Graybeak said:</cite>

And a surprising amount of public urination.

I saw a drunk guy in a pretty nice business suit yelling and singing and urinating near High and Main just a few weeks ago. Welcome to the city!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 74 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION