Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Downtown Crime - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Downtown Crime – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

I was biking to work down Gay Street this morning. The intersection of Gay and Third is blocked by police and emergency services. I was told that there was a shooting, but I cannot confirm this.

leftovers

I also saw the commotion. I was told someone was beaten to death in front of the Renaissance hotel this morning.

arualpalm
    Participant

Whatever happened, what is going on around here? Yesterday, four hours apart at lunch time and as I was walking to my car after work, two homeless men became physically aggressive after I answered, “No, thank you,” when I refused to give money and buy the Street Voice. In the second instance, the man grabbed me and a bystander intervened.

This morning, I just learned that a friend was beat up in broad day light while jogging downtown.

(Sorry to vent, and also sorry if I am making downtown look bad.)

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Homicide Downtown

The link above is to a 10 TV report. A body was apparently found at around 6:15 am. I am sure as hell glad I was not early commuting in today, I would hate to have been the person to find the body. It would have been even worse to see the crime happen.

leftovers

arualpalm said:
    Whatever happened, what is going on around here? Yesterday, four hours apart at lunch time and as I was walking to my car after work, two homeless men became physically aggressive after I answered, “No, thank you,” when I refused to give money and buy the Street Voice. In the second instance, the man grabbed me and a bystander intervened.

This morning, I just learned that a friend was beat up in broad day light while jogging downtown.

The aggressive panhandling of that paper is a real problem. Maybe the idea was good, but its very poor implementation (whether through real or fake vendors due to lack of supervision) has become a serious issue downtown. If they want it to be treated as a business then they need to police their own ’employees’. That means being out there and actually supervising. Asking the public to do it is bullshit.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Oy, I talked with some of my co-workers. One of them got in a little before me. He saw the body. I was hoping that the reports about the person being dead were erroneous.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

arualpalm said:
    Yesterday, four hours apart at lunch time and as I was walking to my car after work, two homeless men became physically aggressive after I answered, “No, thank you,” when I refused to give money and buy the Street Voice. In the second instance, the man grabbed me and a bystander intervened.

Totally inexcusable from Street Speech vendors.

If you haven’t already, report them to Vendor Manager, Ray Daigle – [email protected]

cc Editor Mary Loritz – [email protected]

and cc Capital Crossroads SID Director Cleve Ricksecker – [email protected]

rus
    rus
    Participant

leftovers said:
    I also saw the commotion. I was told someone was beaten to death in front of the Renaissance hotel this morning.

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2012/sep/06/man-found-badly-injured-downtown-dies-ar-1162294/

NerosNeptune
    Participant

Heard a homeless guy asking the line outside of Jeni’s for money.. nobody gave him any and he started yelling and threatening to rob everyone.

There’s probably more homeless people that I see around campus, but at least they’re a little more friendly.

rus
    rus
    Participant

arualpalm said:

I’d hope you’d feel free to discuss events honestly without worrying about making downtown look bad.

Just the way it reads is “I was assaulted and I’d like to share my experience, but not if it makes people here uncomfortable about downtown”, which is crap. Ignoring events because they might make some people uncomfortable doesn’t help anyone.

News
    Participant

rus said:
    I’d hope you’d feel free to discuss events honestly without worrying about making downtown look bad.

Just the way it reads is “I was assaulted and I’d like to share my experience, but not if it makes people here uncomfortable about downtown”, which is crap. Ignoring events because they might make some people uncomfortable doesn’t help anyone.

+1

These kinds of issues need fixed.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rus said:

+1

These kinds of issues need fixed.

mrmann

I called 911 on one of those guys a couple of weeks ago for menacing a woman. Street Speech will tell you to check and see if they are one of theirs. They don’t seem to do much about the problems or be proactive by checking up on their people. They should have a street speech supervisor driving around in a car with a list of who is selling and where.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

I see the details have been updated to state that the victim was stabbed. I also heard part of a news report that stated that the man staggered into the hotel but then staggered out. I have no idea if that is true. A lot of erroneous details are spread around soon after a crime is committed.

I went down and looked over to the crime scene around 8:00 am. The area around the victim was obscured from view with tarps but the victim was still there.

heresthecasey
    Participant

mrmann said:
    I called 911 on one of those guys a couple of weeks ago for menacing a woman. Street Speech will tell you to check and see if they are one of theirs. They don’t seem to do much about the problems or be proactive by checking up on their people. They should have a street speech supervisor driving around in a car with a list of who is selling and where.

+1!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION