Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

SN's Bollinger Tower being bought, possibly converted to hotel

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development SN's Bollinger Tower being bought, possibly converted to hotel

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Author

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Cbussmallbiz wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>UrbanPlanner2112 wrote:</div>

I’m reminded of a comment made to me by a Battelle person. “People that think the government is the solution and best entity to deal with all things has clearly never done business with it”

Nice quote from someone whose job likely depends on massive volumes of government funded spending on research and contracts.

http://www.battelle.org/media/press-releases/battelle-awarded-$2b-id-iq-government-contract

That’s billion with a B. Too bad your buddy has to complete a bunch of bureaucratic paperwork to get a crack at it.

Dude you are lost! You have no clue. Why is it impossible to question the system. Why do you blush if someone states the obvious…. Government is a mess in a lot of instances. It’s a religious response on your part. You god is government. Citizens of a strong country should question how their servent the government is spending their tax dollars. You have no first hand experience of the government wasting money pointlessly? Your response is to attack based on what? What a Sad outlook. Sheeple

dalias
    dalias
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>dalias wrote:</div>

I’m reminded of a comment made to me by a Battelle person. “People that think the government is the solution and best entity to deal with all things has clearly never done business with it”

Nice quote from someone whose job likely depends on massive volumes of government funded spending on research and contracts.

http://www.battelle.org/media/press-releases/battelle-awarded-$2b-id-iq-government-contract

That’s billion with a B. Too bad your buddy has to complete a bunch of bureaucratic paperwork to get a crack at it.

Dude you are lost! You have no clue. Why is it impossible to question the system. Why do you blush if someone states the obvious…. Government is a mess in a lot of instances. It’s a religious response on your part. You god is government. Citizens of a strong country should question how their servent the government is spending their tax dollars. You have no first hand experience of the government wasting money pointlessly? Your response is to attack based on what? What a Sad outlook. Sheeple

Wow. I could ask why is it impossible to question the unhinged crank on the internet forum.

Taxpayers should question how the $ are spent, in this case billions of government funded contracts to Battelle (who according to you seems to employ persons who enjoy biting the hand that feeds them).
    I am not necessarily opposed to this funding as it is a key part of the local economy and in some cases critical for national defense.

But go ahead, you heard someone say it and regurgitated it. Tell me more about your independent, non-herd mentality streak.

Nancy H
    Participant

I would love to see CMHA get completely out of building ownership. The cost of buying/building, maintaining and staffing a property reduces their resources. Rent vouchers should be CMHA’s top priority.

Having private developers use the Low Income Housing Tax Credit to build low income housing makes good economic sense. It becomes their responsibility to choose a suitable location with convenient transportation and local services. And their responsibility to maintain the property so it is safe and a desirable place to live.

Most government agencies (be it city, state or federal) soon evolve into staff top heavy organization and less of the services for which they were established.

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

Rent vouchers are only okay if they can adequately enforce the upkeep of the properties by the landowners. Unfortunately, that usually isn’t the case.

SusanB
    Participant

jbcmh81Does tract 61 include parts of Merion and Hungarian Village? If it does that’s why those income numbers are high. RH starts at Innis Ave on its most northern border. There is a dramatic difference between Hungarian Village and RH, in income, home ownership, educational levels and employment.

jbcmh81
    Participant

jbcmh81Does tract 61 include parts of Merion and Hungarian Village? If it does that’s why those income numbers are high. RH starts at Innis Ave on its most northern border. There is a dramatic difference between Hungarian Village and RH, in income, home ownership, educational levels and employment.

It

It includes part of HV, up to Morrill Avenue. Going down a bit further to census block groups, there are 4 that make up tract 61. Block 1 is the only 1 that might be considered wholly a part of Hungarian Village. It had the highest household incomes in both 2000 and 2014, but only just barely. In 2014, it had a median household income of $45,982. 2 other block groups, 3 and 4, included small sections of HV and had the two lowest income levels in 2014, at $24,821 and $14,909, respectively. The only block group that was entirely in R-H was #2, which includes most of the south and eastern parts of the neighborhood. Its household income in 2014 was $43,214. It also had the greatest increase between 2000-2014 at almost 154%. The HV block group had a growth of just over 74%. 3 and 4 were at 63.6% and -40.8%, respectively.

Google Maps, btw, puts the northern border at Woodrow, as do all of the real estate sites I looked at, so that’s what I used.

clancy12
    Participant

OMG! someone from Battelle. Priceless! Would love to see where his/her job would be if s/he was dependent totally on private sector money. (I don’t really believe the private sector and the public sector are totally separate entities anyway).

SusanB
    Participant

jbcmh81 The issue in RH is the term “household”. It’s very common for a “household” in both HV and RH to have multiple working adults, as in 3 or 4. Adult children live at home often, sometimes all their lives. It’s a working class Appalachian thing. Often even upon marrying and having children. I know many instances of this personally. Is there a breakout that takes that into consideration? 4 incomes adding up to $45k is vastly different than 1 or 2. While I’d love to see an income boost in both HV and RH, the truth of it is it is currently only happening in HV in actuality.

Example I know of in HV:
    Adult Joe lives in the house he grew up in with his wife, child and Grandmother. Joe makes about 30k a year, Grandmother gets about 15k in SS so the household total is 45k but it’s supporting 4 people. Until recently Joe’s mother lived there too, and added another 20k a year in income so it was 65k split 5 ways.

If so the averages sound a lot better than the on the ground reality.

jbcmh81
    Participant

jbcmh81 The issue in RH is the term “household”. It’s very common for a “household” in both HV and RH to have multiple working adults, as in 3 or 4. Adult children live at home often, sometimes all their lives. It’s a working class Appalachian thing. Often even upon marrying and having children. I know many instances of this personally. Is there a breakout that takes that into consideration? 4 incomes adding up to $45k is vastly different than 1 or 2. While I’d love to see an income boost in both HV and RH, the truth of it is it is currently only happening in HV in actuality.

Example I know of in HV:<br>
    Adult Joe lives in the house he grew up in with his wife, child and Grandmother. Joe makes about 30k a year, Grandmother gets about 15k in SS so the household total is 45k but it’s supporting 4 people. Until recently Joe’s mother lived there too, and added another 20k a year in income so it was 65k split 5 ways.

If so the averages sound a lot better than the on the ground reality.

Even if a household is made up of multiple earning adults, the numbers just don’t support your claim that incomes aren’t rising in the R-H neighborhood. 3 out of the 4 block groups saw strong growth, meaning that in those 3, even if households have 2 or more earning adults, more of those individual incomes are going up than not. Or, higher income individuals must be moving in. Those are the only 2 explanations.

Luckily, the census breaks it down by individuals too.
    Block Group income change 2000-2014.
    1: +49.0%
    2: +67.4%
    3: +14.4%
    4: +4.4%

The same two block groups are performing best in individual incomes as they are household incomes. Block 2, the one wholly in R-H, is still doing the best.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

I don’t understand how one can call questioning waste when seen is biting the hand that feeds them. So anyone that works in a position that receives funding from government should shut up? That’s insanely stupid. The waste and crony corruption is crowding out the ever decreasing resources needed to help poor people. But ok be ass hats and attack anyone that wants to question it. You see it as biting the hand that feeds YOU perhaps.

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 70 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO