Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

SN's Bollinger Tower being bought, possibly converted to hotel

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development SN's Bollinger Tower being bought, possibly converted to hotel

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)
  • Author

ohbr
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ohbr wrote:</div>
    The big question, parking *gasp*…. I imagine a hotel would have a much greater parking need than the CMHA so that’s probably going to be the biggest challenge here… from a community standpoint.

This same group is proposing a new garage right behind Bollinger on Pearl for this project…

https://www.columbusunderground.com/new-shorter-design-presented-for-short-north-office-building

Plus they have a large private lot in the rear of the building.

I did not realize it was the same people. This makes alot more sense now.

jbcmh81
    Participant

I have to wonder… if it is torn down, will a similar height project be allowed to go into the site?

Pablo
    Participant

If the building is simply renovated into a hotel there will probably be a car drop off right on High St.

rory
    Participant

There is an incredibly well deserved spot in hell for the people who put together this deal. Poor people can live in decent neighborhoods too. Where will the new vouchers place them? No where as nice I’m sure.

futureman
    Participant

To be fair, the article does say that the sale of the building will allow for 300 units to be built. The Bollinger tower has 100 single occupant units.

Honestly, sounds like the price was right for CMHA. If they sell the building they could offer 3x the units at a different location.

ohbr
    Participant

To be fair, the article does say that the sale of the building will allow for 300 units to be built. The Bollinger tower has 100 single occupant units.

Honestly, sounds like the price was right for CMHA. If they sell the building they could offer 3x the units at a different location.

Agreed. While, yes, there is the fact that low income elderly are being moved out of a nice neighborhood, more people will ultimately be served. It wouldn’t make sense not to turn that profit. And if they choose a neighborhood that has a bright future again, they may have the opportunity to turn this into another investment and come out ahead again to serve more people. I really see both sides, but I’m really ok with the financial side as long as we actually see the results. If nothing ever comes to fruition, I’ll be pissed.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

There is an incredibly well deserved spot in hell for the people who put together this deal. Poor people can live in decent neighborhoods too. Where will the new vouchers place them? No where as nice I’m sure.

Weinland Park has space, wasn’t Wagenbrenner planning senior housing next to the tracks.

4N6science
    4N6science
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rory wrote:</div>

Weinland Park has space, wasn’t Wagenbrenner planning senior housing next to the tracks.

Yes, Wagenbrenner is planning for senior living right off 5th Ave and N. Grant. There’s also that large vacant lot on the corner of 4th St and 5th Ave, which could use development.

Cbussmallbiz
    Participant

The quote is that they believe they will be able to facilitate housing for 300 units. I guess that means vouchers not owned units. Is that over 1 year, 10 years, 5 years. No context there… tells you thats BS. So they are losing more landlords yearly than they add. There is a waiting list already. This sell does not serve the interests of the people living there. CMHA is a horribly run mess. They are laying off staff, selling assets and shifting management to private companies. I would be very interested to understand where the fees, commissions and contracts on these deals land. AE.. are managers incentivized to transact? CMHA is a joke inside of a joke inside of a rotten egg. Just more dead weight feeding on the effort to help poor people. Rinse repeat

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

If the building is simply renovated into a hotel there will probably be a car drop off right on High St.

I actually see them making the drop-off on one of the side streets, either Warren or Bollinger. Or they could use the existing lot in the back and have people park at the new garage that’s going up on Pearl and Lincoln

Pablo
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pablo wrote:</div>

I actually see them making the drop-off on one of the side streets, either Warren or Bollinger. Or they could use the existing lot in the back and have people park at the new garage that’s going up on Pearl and Lincoln

Perhaps, or the rear parking lot could be converted into a guest amenity zone including a pool.

rory
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lazyfish wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rory wrote:</div><br>

Yes, Wagenbrenner is planning for senior living right off 5th Ave and N. Grant. There’s also that large vacant lot on the corner of 4th St and 5th Ave, which could use development.

No, they didn’t get the tax credits needed for the affordable senior housing at Grant and Fifth for three years running. As far as I know they haven’t tried again for them this year and I don’t believe they have plans to do so again.

Nancy H
    Participant

Bollinger is one of the ugliest buildings in the Short North. I hope they tear it down and start over. I watched that building being built. Really cheap construction. New construction would mean a better looking building, quality construction and the ability to easily add whatever parking they need.

I, for one, object to having a set back on High Street. If people want green space, IV and Goodale parks are about a block and a half away from Bollinger. Not to mention parks and public plazas are publicly owned spaces, rather that privately owned. There are any number of locations that would accommodate more places like Poplar Park, without disrupting the common street wall.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>King Gambrinus wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pablo wrote:</div><br>

Perhaps, or the rear parking lot could be converted into a guest amenity zone including a pool.

developing a phantastical erection, thinking of all the possible hotel amenities, here’s hoping for a happy ending, won’t be the first trick turned in that place.

WJT
    Participant

I admit I would like something bigger and better than Bollinger. But this does suck that a building that appears to be designed and working as a haven for lower income elderly people is the price that will be paid. And I agree with the sentiments expressed that not enough is being disclosed about the 300 units and all. Are these the people in these 100 units going to have the same level of amenities and access that they have now?

There are a lot of unanswered questions. about this and about the disabled low income people basically tossed out in the street on the near East side from the old hospital apartment building. You cannot just expect developers, landowners, anyone who is going to financially benefit from these things to automatically act in the best interests of anyone but themselves. Poor elderly people just do not matter in this city and it is disgraceful.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 70 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO