Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Snow Removal.

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Snow Removal.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

dusio22

Anyone else disgusted by the cities lame attempt to clear roads yesterday?

I was out driving in the morning and afternoon and saw all of one truck. Now I wasn’t on back roads. I was on Broad Street and High Street.

No trucks. No salt. Plenty of accidents.

You won’t catch me defending local drivers, Columbus is renowned for having poor winter drivers, but it seems to me, the city was woefully unprepared.

I actually emailed City Council. Well, it went to an aide of Mary Ellen O’Shaughnessy. I stated that I drove from Westland Mall to Broad and High around 2pm and saw zero snow removal trucks and four accidents. She answered saying thank you for writing, she’ll pass on my concerns and that, oh, she saw plenty of trucks around City Hall. Good to know. City Hall is clear. Sounds whoever heads up the department knows whose a$$ to kiss.

I need to correct something here. Her exact words were downtown, not city hall. I don’t want to misquote her, she was very kind in responding.

I mean, it was only like 2-3 inches, if that and the city couldn’t handle it.

I’m not asking for perfectly clean roads, just would be nice to see them making an attempt. I’m sure they were out there, I’m just not sure where.

The kicker was the story on nbc4i.com where a city official blames drivers for all the accidents. No sh*t, sherlock. Sure they can’t drive in snow, but you could at least make an attempt to help out by cleaning the roads. She went on to say there would be 45 trucks out by 6pm Saturday night. What are they doing all day long? Those guys live for these events. I know a guy who used to drive for ODOT and they couldn’t wait to get called in.

I did notice the highways were pretty clean all day. But that is ODOT, not the city.

I feel better for venting.

Comments?

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

What do you expect in a city where the local news time cries wolf every other week?

Cyclist

dusio22 wrote Anyone else disgusted by the cities lame attempt to clear roads yesterday?

I was out driving in the morning and afternoon and saw all of one truck. Now I wasn’t on back roads. I was on Broad Street and High Street.

No trucks. No salt. Plenty of accidents.

You won’t catch me defending local drivers, Columbus is renowned for having poor winter drivers, but it seems to me, the city was woefully unprepared.

I actually emailed City Council. Well, it went to an aide of Mary Ellen O’Shaughnessy. I stated that I drove from Westland Mall to Broad and High around 2pm and saw zero snow removal trucks and four accidents. She answered saying thank you for writing, she’ll pass on my concerns and that, oh, she saw plenty of trucks around City Hall. Good to know. City Hall is clear. Sounds whoever heads up the department knows whose a$$ to kiss.

I mean, it was only like 2-3 inches, if that and the city couldn’t handle it.

I’m not asking for perfectly clean roads, just would be nice to see them making an attempt. I’m sure they were out there, I’m just not sure where.

The kicker was the story on nbc4i.com where a city official blames drivers for all the accidents. No sh*t, sherlock. Sure they can’t drive in snow, but you could at least make an attempt to help out by cleaning the roads. She went on to say there would be 45 trucks out by 6pm Saturday night. What are they doing all day long? Those guys live for these events. I know a guy who used to drive for ODOT and they couldn’t wait to get called in.

I did notice the highways were pretty clean all day. But that is ODOT, not the city.

I feel better for venting.

Comments?

No, There are probably 10,000 miles of roads and streets in the county. How long do you think it would take to drive a giant truck 10,000 miles? How long would it take to drive 30 giant trucks 10,000 miles? I don’t know either, but it would surly take longer than a Saturday afternoon. :D

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

dusio22 wrote Anyone else disgusted by the cities lame attempt to clear roads yesterday?

The city doesn’t plow less than 4 inches.

No offense, but we have rants like this posted pretty much every time it snows. People get all pissed off for a day because the city isn’t meeting whatever expectations they’ve laid down in their own minds and then the next day after the snow is gone they forget about it until next year.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Walker wrote

I think the chart you linked us to yesterday showed some cities that only plowed at 6 inches and had no residential road snow removal. Count ourselves lucky.

Motorist
    Participant

I think when it really matters, the city can get the lead out of their asses. I was really impressed with their response after the blizzard last year.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

I would prefer Columbus not waste tax dollars plowing roads after a light dusting, especially when the police and fire forces are about to take big hits due to money shortages.

If people in Columbus notoriously suck at driving in the snow, they should slow down on the roads, and go practice getting into and out of slides in an empty parking lot (cbus has plenty of these, right?), like everyone else who lives north of Tennesee.

roy
    Participant

dusio22 wrote

I actually emailed City Council. Well, it went to an aide of Mary Ellen O’Shaughnessy… She answered…

Comments?

You wrote to a member of city council on Saturday and received a personal reply that same day?! Sounds like O’Shaughnessy has a very responsive staff. :wink:

Ndcent

Walker wrote

No offense, but we have rants like this posted pretty much every time it snows. People get all pissed off for a day because the city isn’t meeting whatever expectations they’ve laid down in their own minds and then the next day after the snow is gone they forget about it until next year.

Are you in a bad mood or something? That was kind of harsh.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Ndcent wrote Are you in a bad mood or something? That was kind of harsh.

Desi’s become a sports fan, and the 24/7 ESPN he wants to watch is taking its toll on Walkster :lol:

dusio22

What, I have no right to complain about city services?

I did something and actually tried to contact someone about it.

If this board isn’t for posting about what goes on with the city, than I apologize.

I have a right to my opinion and was stating it.

Walker wrote

dusio22

I wanted to correct something that I stated in my initial post. The person who contacted me from city council didn’t specifically mention she was at city hall. She said, ‘downtown’. I apologize for misrepresenting her words. I didn’t mean to make her the brunt of my rant.

I do appreciate her responding so quickly.

I’m not bashing all of city government. Columbus does a lot of things right.

I just don’t think they handle even the smallest amount of snow very well.

I realize they don’t plow under a certain amount, but salt and brine could have been utilized a little better.

I have to say, if more of us complained a little more to the city, perhaps they’d take it a little more serious. Other cities do much better while dealing with significantly more snowfall.

Just my two cents.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

I don’t know what there is to complain about:

We’re a large city, with a lot of roads. It takes time, money and energy to get out and do it right.

This is the first major snow fall this season. Let’s wait for a few more to really judge the city’s performance.

This is the official word from the city.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Walker wrote The city doesn’t plow less than 4 inches.

Every winter I email Walker with a rant about the frankly embarrassing snow-removal policies in this city.

And in response, he says something to the effect of “hey man, you simply cannot plow snow that’s less than 4” deep! It’s never been done! We have a lot of roads! Columbus is probably bigger than all of the cities in the Northeast combined! And we have twistier roads! And I don’t think you can technically buy salt or sand around here! And if you want it plowed so bad, why don’t you do it?”

And then in response to that, I get drunk and don’t mention it to him for the rest of the winter, because it’s almost sickening to watch a friend stand up and defend something that stupid.

I guess he assumes that means I “forget about it,” but in reality I dread Columbus’ winter roads all year ’round. Why? My job does not have snow days. We do not have early release due to inclement weather. We do not have flex time. I have to be at work, on time, every day, punched in and ready to go. If I’m unable to drive on the roads, that is a problem.

This is a northern city, it gets about the same amount of snow every single year, and I wish someone–I don’t care who–would figure out how to deal with it so we don’t have to watch “the snow lady” run around like a chicken with her head cut off every winter.

Every winter.

Honestly Walker, do you think Buffalo, New York City, Boston, Toronto, Hartford, Newark, all just shut down whenever it snows? I used to live in The Sticks, NH, and our city government still managed to salt and plow all the residential roads–oftentimes before 4″ had fallen. The plows would even run in the middle of the night! Isn’t that a weird concept!?

So yeah, maybe living in cities where the government can actually deal with a predictable natural event like snowfall has “laid down” some expectations in my mind. But they are expectations that have been met before, in more difficult locales with fewer resources.

And that is my one rant for the winter, and I am off to get toasty on some Grolsch. If I don’t spin out and die on my way to the store.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

p.s. Yes I still have to drive to work during a Level 3 emergency, yes I realize that the good people at the City of Columbus are apparently trying their best, no it is not “the thought that counts.”

Edit: p.p.s. This is the one thing that still gets under my skin about this city, so please excuse my vitriol. I’ve got like nine months of it saved up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: