Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Sneaking Alcohol at Comfest?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sneaking Alcohol at Comfest?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author

First year and I’m going with a group that is hell bent on sneaking alcohol in. I don’t want to be the one that tells them they shouldn’t but i just wanna make sure they won’t get arrested or anything. Will they at least be okay? Thanks!

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

As with bars and restaurants, Comfest has a license for beer and wine only, drinking anything else in the park during the time is illegal in the same way drinking in the park is illegally normally.

Additionally, most bars and restaurants on High Street will be open during Comfest. If you need liquor I’d suggest taking a break, walking to a bar and grabbing and drink (and use of their restroom).

meg

The alcohol sold at Comfest is so affordable and helps pay for this awesome party every year. Comfest is a volunteer-run festival with no corporate sponsorship, so the best thing you can do is purchase your tokens like a good community member and have fun! Be an example for your friends and tell them you’re supporting the cause.

I understand and tried to explain these simple facts to these people but they’re are persistent. I only ask if they will get in trouble? I might skip going if that’s the case

groundrules
    Participant

I would say that technically it is illegal, so that leaves open the possibility of being cited. They do patrol the crowd, more so in recent years. If you’re not obvious, not causing problems, and not being a dick, I think your chances of getting caught are fairly low.

bayrea
    Participant

There are a couple of key things to keep in mind for both advocates of sneaking booze and staunch “buy comfest beer” supporters. In the day time lines are reasonable and the comfest beer is cold and delicious. I love buying a few tokens and getting some mugs of beer and listening to tunes under the shade of a tree. If you DO sneak beer in, past experience tells me that as long as you don’t flaunt it you will be left alone. Sit under a tree in the corner of the park, dispose of all your cans/bottles and don’t make a fool of yourself and you are fine. (drugs are a different story, I have seen some spectacular take downs in my years for drug related arrests at comfest). The other side of this story is that after 6pm the lines become unbearable and there is no shortage of customers buying comfest beer. I think it is safe to assume they are at their serving capacity at these hours. So taking a sip from a hidden flask or sharing a six pack with friends is not going to hurt the comfest bottom line. If the beer tents had no lines I would feel bad sneeking in some booze. But since it is at least an half hour wait at night I don’t have the patience for that. Be smart, clean up after yourself, and have fun and you won’t have a problem.

These people are going as far as to hide it in everyday bottles and cans.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

ManoTikiTia said:
    These people are going as far as to hide it in everyday bottles and cans.

Is it safe to assume you guys are all under 21?

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

You will get busted if you’re an idiot, you wont if you’re not.

pretty simple.

johnwashere
    Participant

Didn’t they used to allow outside beer & liquor? I’ve snuck liquor in before and was fine. Like others said, as long as your not an idiot or blatantly obvious then you will be fine…

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

bayrea said:
    There are a couple of key things to keep in mind for both advocates of sneaking booze and staunch “buy comfest beer” supporters. In the day time lines are reasonable and the comfest beer is cold and delicious. I love buying a few tokens and getting some mugs of beer and listening to tunes under the shade of a tree. If you DO sneak beer in, past experience tells me that as long as you don’t flaunt it you will be left alone. Sit under a tree in the corner of the park, dispose of all your cans/bottles and don’t make a fool of yourself and you are fine. (drugs are a different story, I have seen some spectacular take downs in my years for drug related arrests at comfest). The other side of this story is that after 6pm the lines become unbearable and there is no shortage of customers buying comfest beer. I think it is safe to assume they are at their serving capacity at these hours. So taking a sip from a hidden flask or sharing a six pack with friends is not going to hurt the comfest bottom line. If the beer tents had no lines I would feel bad sneeking in some booze. But since it is at least an half hour wait at night I don’t have the patience for that. Be smart, clean up after yourself, and have fun and you won’t have a problem.

You forgot to mention how the new mini cups are a crock of steaming bullshit and that is yet another fine reason to BYOB.

I’ve been to Comfest 7-8 times and always brought my own.

If you’re carrying a cooler simply walk in a lesser used entrance a la Russell.
    Pack your trash out. Be discrete. A backpack lined with a trash bag works great for carrying beer.

If it’s liquor you’re drinking and you’re worried about that being discovered in your water bottle or nalgene jug and seriously posting this question on CU then you should probably just stay at home bc life obviously scares you too much and the juggalos can smell your fear anyways.

Im 21 but they are 20. They also don’t drink beer (Oddly picky for people underage)

Graybeak
    Participant

One of the things my great grandmother passed along to me was this piece of paraphrased wisdom.

If you are worried about getting caught, don’t do it.

Seems simple enough to me.

Snarf said:
    You forgot to mention how the new mini cups are a crock of steaming bullshit and that is yet another fine reason to BYOB.

I’ve been to Comfest 7-8 times and always brought my own.

If you’re carrying a cooler simply walk in a lesser used entrance a la Russell.
    Pack your trash out. Be discrete. A backpack lined with a trash bag works great for carrying beer.

If it’s liquor you’re drinking and you’re worried about that being discovered in your water bottle or nalgene jug and seriously posting this question on CU then you should probably just stay at home bc life obviously scares you too much and the juggalos can smell your fear anyways.

I don’t get that last bit. Are you suggesting it wouldn’t be a problem? It doesn’t scare me I just think it would be pointless to get in trouble when i’m actually capable of buying alcohol

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I think if you think it will be a problem it will be a problem.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: