Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Smothered Gravy Restaurant on The Near East Side

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Smothered Gravy Restaurant on The Near East Side

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 91 total)
  • Author

Cookie

Chris Sherman wrote >>
    Upscale new housing? I have no clue what your talking about. Cyclist and I found the place 2 weeks ago, the area looks pretty much the same as it did 5 years ago with a new building or two. Childrens hospital is on Livingston not main St.

Did you check out all the sweet parking?

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

Cookie wrote >>

Chris Sherman wrote >>
    Upscale new housing? I have no clue what your talking about. Cyclist and I found the place 2 weeks ago, the area looks pretty much the same as it did 5 years ago with a new building or two. Childrens hospital is on Livingston not main St.

Did you check out all the sweet parking?

Omg it was amazing.

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

We actually thought the place was open. Lights were on, pretty sure there was a sign. Maybe I will take a stroll this afternoon and check it out again. One of my favorite things to do while driving down east main is to honk at the dope boyz and hookers. They get all excited! Since I can’t do it in my neighborhood i might as well do it in another.

cyclist II
    Participant

It had Christmas lights up and everything when I went by with Chris Sherman.

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

drove by awhile ago. looks like its open for business although im not sure. dining room was completely set up, hours on the door etc. they could still be waiting on permits or something but it looked like a finished product from what i could see through the window. neighborhood looks pretty much the same except for 3 or 4 old houses being renovated a block east. you go a block north or south and it looks like nothing has changed.

JoeMitchell

I would like to take a moment to publicly admit my ignorance, and eat crow.

met today with two different trade contractors, both do work for your contractor Liz, Sullivan

The topic of conversation turned to the city, our current interaction, rumors, happenings, other projects and issues. Both contractors specifically mentioned “Bettys restaurants” and how they seemed to be having multiple difficult and uncommon issues with the city.

I did not mention Bettys, this was purely unsolicited information.

I admit that Liz is right.

I am not jumping on the “bash the city” bandwagon, for every horror story there is a success story. A $250k renovation can be more difficult than a $20m new development due to unknown variables. A buildout in 5 year old strip center will be ten times easier and less expensive than a 50-100 year old building. A change of use will result in the city wanting the building up to current code, which will cost extra, but I don’t think that is a bad thing.

now back on topic, I could chow on some southern eats…..

patient_zero
    Participant

She’s open! I saw a news piece on 10TV, but can’t find it on the web. Here’s an article in the Dispatch:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/business/stories/2010/09/14/no-stopping-her.html?sid=101

BreakfastwithNick
    BreakfastwithNick
    Participant

That’s great – thanks for the heads up!

ToddAnders
    Blocked

Here are the hours, good for her!

• Smothered Gravy, 1114 E. Main St., opened on Saturday. The Southern comfort-food restaurant is open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and 1 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturday.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Bummer about to breakfast on the weekends.

I hope to check this out really soon.

BreakfastwithNick
    BreakfastwithNick
    Participant

I picked up a menu today. Will see if I can scan it and post it for anyone interested.

lifeliberty
    Participant

ToddAnders wrote >>
    Here are the hours, good for her!
    • Smothered Gravy, 1114 E. Main St., opened on Saturday. The Southern comfort-food restaurant is open 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday and 1 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Saturday.

here’s the link for credit/citation

Off the menu

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/business/stories/2011/03/22/everythings-sweet-at-couples-store.html?sid=101

celrae

Great news, will be by soon.

BreakfastwithNick
    BreakfastwithNick
    Participant

I stopped in this morning to nab some breakfast and chat with Eugena. She and her whole staff are very warm and friendly, and very grateful for everyone’s interest in the restaurant.

I tried the smothered chicken and waffles, which were pretty good. Standard waffles, plus chicken wings cooked in an onion gravy. I found myself mopping up the leftover gravy with the waffles.

I plan to head back in a couple days to try another item or two before I do a write-up on the blog. I’m eying the salmon cake or the grits and catfish nuggets.

I took a couple picks and posted them on the Breakfast with Nick FB page. The pic of the menu turned out okay; I’ll see if I can get a better one soon.

Curious to know what others think of the place!

BreakfastwithNick
    BreakfastwithNick
    Participant

Finally got my post up about Smothered Gravy!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 91 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: