Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Smothered Gravy Restaurant on The Near East Side

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Smothered Gravy Restaurant on The Near East Side

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 91 total)
  • Author

tourist19
    Participant

joev wrote >>
    I’m really glad that she’s opening there – I hope it becomes a neighborhood anchor, along with the existing infrastructure and buuilt in work-crowd. However, that’s the least appetizing name for a restaurant I’ve ever heard.

Really? I love the name. I find it hilarious and wonderful. I think Gooeyz is much worse, that is in part due to the spelling though.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I hope it does well. A lot of good neighborhood restaurants have come and gone in that little stretch of Main St.

Not that she’s asked my advice and not that I have any restaurant experience beyond eating at places, but my guess of why some of the other places failed is this:

1) Too many menu items –I think most people pick a restaurant initially for a few signature dishes, and I can’t imagine having a wide selection doesn’t increase costs and stress.
    2) Prices too low –obviously that’s great for the consumer, but I’m sure that kills the bottom line if business ever gets slow.
    3) Service, hours and menu item availability gets increasingly unpredictable.

I saw all those things kill Gloria’s, which I really liked. It sounds like this lady has some business experience, however, so maybe she can avoid the pitfalls. In any case, I’ll definitely patronize her place and root for her to succeed.

BreakfastwithNick
    BreakfastwithNick
    Participant

Is there anyone who lives/travels around there regularly that can give us a heads-up when it opens?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Drove by last night on the way to Geriatric (German) Village.

Didn’t appear open yet, still brown paper in some windows.

Twixlen
    Participant

What’s the word people?

celrae

I was lucky enough to get a tour of the kitchen on Saturday. Eugena Dade is a creative soul, with a clear vision. This place will beat the odds. She appreciates all of the support and hopes to be up and running within weeks.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

celrae wrote >>
    I was lucky enough to get a tour of the kitchen on Saturday. Eugena Dade is a creative soul, with a clear vision. This place will beat the odds. She appreciates all of the support and hopes to be up and running within weeks.

Glad to hear this is still a live project. I’ve stopped by there several times and not seen any activity. Was beginning to give up on it.

BTW, if you are in touch with Eugena, please ask her why she is cutting off her dinner hours so early (6pm according to the door). I almost never eat that early, and most local restaurants serve until 9pm or 8 at the earliest. I think she’ll really cut down on her dinner customers if she quits serving at 6.

KSquared

Any update on this?

celrae

I wish I had good news. She was having trouble getting the kitchen finished.

coolbuckeye
    Participant

My friend just asked me about this place. We have been looking forward to the opening so we can make a date and try it out. Any word on the kitchen? Im really rooting for her.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

MichaelC wrote >>
    Terrific story from the Dispatch:

[b]Eugena Dade has a vision, and nothing is going to stop her – not poverty, not illness and certainly not the naysayers who think opening a restaurant in a downtrodden neighborhood is a mistake.[/b]
    Smothered Gravy, a restaurant serving what Dade describes as “fine comfort food” at affordable prices, is slated to open late this week or early next week at 1114 E. Main St., near the corner of Champion Avenue.
    “A lot of people don’t think I can do this, but I’m moving on like a freight train,” Dade said. “This is my dream. This is what I’ve always wanted.”
    The restaurant and its menu are meant to re-create old-fashioned family meals at Grandma’s house.

o rly?

coolbuckeye
    Participant

that was cold Snarf :)

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I know, I’ve gone from hopeful to bitter in only two months time.

ToddAnders
    Blocked

Here goes Snarf, drinking her HaterAde. Surprised on a scale of 1 to 10? .5

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Not hating, just pointed out some irony, homegirl.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 91 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION