Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Sledding in Columbus?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sledding in Columbus?

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author

foxforcefive
    Participant

Bumping this up since we got some snow…

AMEEKER
    Participant

Probably not legal, but we went sledding on Mt. Weinland, at N. Grant and 5th Ave across from the new builds in Weinland Park. There’s the BIG steep hill and lots of smaller hills. Also, lots of fresh untouched snow for building stuff.

Rusty1
    Rusty1
    Participant

I have a hill in the back thats been used as a sled hill for years by locals I allow em mostly Hi school kids I cant do it feels like my guts get pushed into my throat but its in Pickaway county as I dont reside in Cbus anymore, Rockmill lake in Fairfield county has a nice sled hill not far from Cbus.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

MetroParks does daily updates on what hills are open.
    Here’s their one from today:
    Sledding hills are open at Battelle Darby Creek, Blacklick Woods Golf Courses and Highbanks. The kiddie’s hill at Blendon Woods is also open. Please note that the sledding hill at Sharon Woods is closed. You can cross-country ski at all the parks, except Inniswood and Sharon Woods.

RedStorm
    Participant

I’m not sure if it has a name but I grew up sledding at the park off of Wilson Bridge Road in Worthington. We would make it from the top of the hill down to the tennis courts for those familiar with it.

RiderRider
    Participant

There is a dare-devil type run in the small forested area just east of Calumet Christian School. This is a no-holds-barred type of hill. Make sure you bail before the creek at the bottom, you will probably want to bail well before you get to the creek anyway.

Coordinates are:
    40.019893,-83.004059

Map image link:
    Bad ass sledding run.

Senator Tankerbell
    Participant

Went sledding at Scioto Park in Dublin yesterday. Great spot.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Senator Tankerbell said:
    Went sledding at Scioto Park in Dublin yesterday. Great spot.

*G* I was talking to the city horticulturalist about removing honeysuckle from that park, and she was only half-joking when she said that they leave it in place at the foot of the sledding hill to serve as a barrier keeping people from going down the bank to the floodplain.

Senator Tankerbell
    Participant

Any new spots that weren’t covered here before? Based on recent weather I may need this information soon.

News
    Participant

You Can Still Sled in Columbus (Mostly)
    January 7, 2015 4:54 pm – Jesse Bethea

Take warning, citizens, for the death of sledding is upon us. That’s according to several national news stories chronicling a series of restrictions and bans issued by city councils against sledding in public parks. The restrictions are the local government response to the liability concerns associated with sledding; the fear that people injured while sledding may decide to sue the city. The Washington Post Wonkblog blames the “American love of lawsuits” for this war on winter, while the conservative Daily Caller believes this is a sure sign of the encroaching “nanny state.”

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/you-can-still-sled-in-columbus-mostly-jb1

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

They’ll call it Ethan Frome’s Law.

bjones7
    Participant

Someone should come up with a rating system, just like they do for skiing.

DouginCMH
    Participant

As a decent amount of snow is forecast for Sunday, I’ll ad that Rockmill Brewing posted this on their Facebook page earlier in January:

“Our tasting room is OPEN this weekend. Friday 4 – 8 pm, Saturday and Sunday 12 – 8 pm. If you’re looking for sledding, the Rockmill Dam has a nice hill.”

Sledding and then hitting up Rockmill for some of their delicious beers in that gorgeous setting sounds like a pretty enticing scenario.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Sledding and then hitting up Rockmill for some of their delicious beers in that gorgeous setting sounds like a pretty enticing scenario.

the other way around sounds like more fun.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: