Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Sky Horse Bus - CBus to NYC Bus Service

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Sky Horse Bus – CBus to NYC Bus Service

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

bldng4jstc
    Participant

Stumbled upon people boarding this bus bound for NYC the other night. Direct service from 108 E Main St 12:30am to 59 Canal St NYC for $90. The girl I talked to had never taken it before so I have no comments on the company or service. About 10 people got on the bus last Saturday. Website looks fake, but the store front on Main has ‘Sky’ on the mailbox and I saw the bus with my own eyes. Again no comments on the service.

Sky Horse Bus

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Terrible name. ;)

Interesting concept though. How long has this been around?

sdbuck1
    sdbuck1
    Participant

$180.00 seems a little steep for a round trip on a bus. Pay a little more and fly.

cc

If there are no other stops then I understand the niche, but Greyhound tickets from Columbus can be found at or below this price.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Doesn’t look like there’s any stops in between. Perhaps for gas… but the idea of sleeping on the bus the whole way sounds appealing to me. And having ridden Megabus, I love being able to show up 15 minutes before departure, rather than an hour at the airport. Wonder how the travel times compare when you calculate that into flying, and then getting from LaGuardia or JFK to your final destination…

bldng4jstc
    Participant

sdbuck1 said:
    $180.00 seems a little steep for a round trip on a bus. Pay a little more and fly.

$180 seems steep, but the pricing reflects its location to the (sadly terrible) Greyhoud station a block north. Greyhound’s $180 ‘web-only’ fare takes ~14 hours while Sky Horse takes 9 hours. Furthermore, last time I looked Cbus-NYC roundtrip airfare was around $400 or more – plus cost of getting into town from the airport.

Cookie

bldng4jstc said:
    Furthermore, last time I looked Cbus-NYC roundtrip airfare was around $400 or more – plus cost of getting into town from the airport.

It’s $206 on Southwest right now.

bldng4jstc
    Participant

Cookie said:
    It’s $200 on Southwest right now.

Damn southwest, I never think to check. I’ve only flown to NYC out of Akron(CAK) where most flights are usually around $200.

mbeaumont
    Participant

9 hours seems like a fantasy to me. It’s about 10 hours in a car. I don’t see how a bus can make it in 9 unless they’re driving at breakneck speed the whole way. I bet it’s closer to 11 when it’s all said and done.

Cookie

bldng4jstc said:
    Damn southwest, I never think to check. I’ve only flown to NYC out of Akron(CAK) where most flights are usually around $200.

I get emails from this site[/url].

bldng4jstc
    Participant

mbeaumont said:
    9 hours seems like a fantasy to me. It’s about 10 hours in a car. I don’t see how a bus can make it in 9 unless they’re driving at breakneck speed the whole way. I bet it’s closer to 11 when it’s all said and done.

I’ll perhaps go for a walk some night around pickup and see if I can talk to someone. They whole thing gives me that ‘Chinatown’ express feel so breakneck speed may be the norm.

bjones7
    Participant

Their “Official” Website: http://www.skyhorsebus.com/

Continental runs (last minute) fare sales every two weeks from CMH to Newark for $168. They’re usually released on Wednesdays.

I was kind of hoping that Sky Horse was somehow related to Sky Bus.

Cville4ever

skyhorse is the bomb!
    between me and my syblings combined we’ve taken it over 20 times.
    when my sis from brooklyn first took it five years ago it was twenty bucks, but you were traveling with loads of cargo in the cabin and made a couple mysterious stops along the way, but it was still a lot faster than any other bus.
    now it’s ninety bucks each way, and when i took it in August 2011 we made one stop at a sunoco near blue mountain pennsylvania.
    when i woke up we were flying through eastern ohio in the passing lane, they aren’t lying : we made it from downtown new york to columbus in nine hours flat.
    the bus goes on to Dayton and Cincinnati.
    in NY i picked up their business cards and noticed there was an affiliated line that did NY to/from Virginia Beach.

Both bus lines seem to go through http://www.gotobus.com for ticket booking.
    Reserve your ticket online, then show up 20-30 minutes early so you can be sure you get a seat (we’ve always gotten one, but the bus has always been above 80% full).

phaedrus
    Participant

Appears their rates have dropped for the winter. Tickets can now be had for as little as $60 rd-trip.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE